Author Topic: Is there a Doctor in the house?  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Newt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Is there a Doctor in the house?
« on: Thursday 18 May 06 21:33 BST (UK) »
I am interested in understanding what a cause of death on a certificate means in 'plain English' especially in the context of the persons life etc.

Is there a Doctor here who can answer this?

The person I am interested in died in 1873 of...'Phthisis Apnaea'  He was 43 when he died and worked in or around London as a groom all his life.  He wasn't in his family household in the 1871 census (probably more to do with his work than any illness).

Thank you,

Neal
Turner, Middlesex, Surrey, Torquay, Woodbury Salterton.
Tavener, Middlesex, Surrey
Garner, Berkswell, Coventry
Harris, Coventry, Birmingham
Hardware, Coventry

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a Doctor in the house?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 May 06 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Phthisis is an archaic technical name for tuberculosis/consumption.

Neil
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 May 06 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Newt,
There are several websites that list obsolete - or at least old - medical terms, including http://www.paul_smith.doctors.org.uk/ArchaicMedicalTerms.htm
I have usually seen "phthisis" used in conjunction with "pulmonalis", meaning TB, but as you can see it might be used to describe any breathing difficulties - same with apnoea.

Phthisis [ty'sis]     
    * Literally, means a wasting disease but almost invariably will mean pulmonary tuberculosis
    * Any debilitating lung or throat affections; a severe cough; asthma
Apnoea  = Absence of breathing

What do you think?

Prue

Offline Newt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 May 06 21:55 BST (UK) »
Good site Prue.

I have bookmarked it and shall soon be checking all my death certs!

Thanks both

Neal
Turner, Middlesex, Surrey, Torquay, Woodbury Salterton.
Tavener, Middlesex, Surrey
Garner, Berkswell, Coventry
Harris, Coventry, Birmingham
Hardware, Coventry

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 May 06 21:57 BST (UK) »
hi Neal

I would agree with Neil and Prue M in that phthisis is the 'old' word for what we would now call tuberculosis or TB.  Apnoea is a cessation of breathing, usually temporary, due to a variety of causes.  In this context, I would assume that your man died due to breathing difficulties associated with TB.

In terms of the context of his death, TB was extremely prevalent in big cities such as London at this time - a highly infectious disease which has now largely been wiped out through the use of antibiotics.  People would pass it on just through coughing and sneezing, so in cities, especially, it was rife.  I wouldn't have thought that working as a groom would have had any bearing on him catching this disease at the time - one branch of my family living in London was almost wiped out by it in 1875, and they all had various occupations - policeman, dock labourer, servant, etc.

Clara
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London
Hasting(s): Sussex