Author Topic: 1841/51 - Lovegroves in Isleworth  (Read 912 times)

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Elizabeth Milward b 1884
    • View Profile
1841/51 - Lovegroves in Isleworth
« on: Saturday 20 May 06 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

would be very grateful if someone could see if the following are on the 1841 or 1851 for the Isleworth area.

Lucy Lovegrove - aged 12 to 16
George Lovegrove - her father

Have Lucy's marriage in Isleworth in 1854 (suggesting she is more towards the 16 age in 1851) and am trying to track down her baptism.  Have a couple of potentials and am hoping an 1851/41 will tie it all together.

Thanks in advance

Sue
Archer, Walker, Armstrong, King, Watson, Hoodless, Milward, Gate.

Please note that any information supplied to lookup requests is for the purpose of private study and research only, and may not be used for commercial purposes.  All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/51 - Lovegroves in Isleworth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 May 06 20:52 BST (UK) »
Where do you think Lucy was born? On the 1861 census she states her age as 24 and her birthplace as Isleworth (it is quite common on censuses for people to sometimes state their place of birth as the same as the place they are living and then contradict themselves on later censuses). On the 1871 census Lucy states her age as 35 and her place of birth as Longford Berkshire.

Does Lucy appear on later censuses and if so where does she state then as her place of birth?

On the 1851 census there are 6 Lucy Lovegroves, 2 of whom are wives, plus 3 daughters and one servant all in Berkshire, Buckinghamshire or Oxfordshire. One is Louisa Lucy and only aged two. Of the other available Lucys they are

Lucy aged 13 born Aylesbury Buckinghamshire in Aylesbury.
Lucy aged 21 born Pishill Oxfordshire in Oxfordshire.
Lucy aged 19 born Remenham Berkshire in Oxfordshire.

What details about her father does Lucy give on her marriage? That might help place her on the 1841 census. There is a possibility for her in Longcott Berkshire on the 1841 census.

Are you aware there is a one name study of the surname Lovegrove? The researcher is likely to hold detailed information on many Lovegrove families and might be able to narrow down which Lucy Lovegrove it might be.

http://www.one-name.org/cgibin/surname.cgi?find=lovegrove&Go=Search

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sue smith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Elizabeth Milward b 1884
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 May 06 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda

thanks very much for the response and guidance.

I have the 1841 and do think this is actually the correct Lucy, but am trying to rule out or in other possibilities.  There is definitely a proven link between the Lovegroves of Longcot / East Challow and those of Isleworth and at present I think that Lucy's potential mother (Sarah) came from Isleworth, married Lucy's father George who was staying with relatives there, they returned to Berkshire / Oxfordshire to have the family and then Sarah moved the family back to Isleworth post 1841.  Lucy's potential father dies in 1838 and it is possible Sarah remarries prior to 1851.  This would possibly explain why there is no likely Lucy on the 1851 as she could be enumerated under her stepfathers name.

It is all a bit tenuous at the moment and to add to the confusion I am actually looking into this for someone else!  I have my line of Lovegroves (the ones who did move from Longcot to Isleworth) and the GR site threw up a possible match and my contact who had a brick wall.  As I never can resist a challenge I said I would help but will need to go back and ask for more information re the marriage certificate, likely witnesses etc to see if I can confirm everything as I would not want to lead someone down the wrong path.

Thanks again

Sue

Archer, Walker, Armstrong, King, Watson, Hoodless, Milward, Gate.

Please note that any information supplied to lookup requests is for the purpose of private study and research only, and may not be used for commercial purposes.  All Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 March 23 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I can see this is an old post and although I can not confirm Lucy Lovegrove's baptism either, I do have a copy of her marriage in 1854 to John Jupp (aka William John Jupp). Their daughter married into my family making Lucy being the Mother in Law of my 2nd Great Uncle. There is a tree on Anc* that has Lucy marrying in 1872 Edward Happs and going to America, maybe contacting the owner may help. Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 March 23 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi.
I can see this is an old post and although I can not confirm Lucy Lovegrove's baptism either, I do have a copy of her marriage in 1854 to John Jupp (aka William John Jupp). Their daughter married into my family making Lucy being the Mother in Law of my 2nd Great Uncle. There is a tree on Anc* that has Lucy marrying in 1872 Edward Happs and going to America, maybe contacting the owner may help. Sandy

if anyone is still looking for Lucy.
The marriage record of Lucy Jupp and Edward Happs 1872 marriage is on Ancestry, but this Lucy was a spinster (father Robert Jupp) , so not the widow of (William) John Jupp.

In 1851 there is a 15 year old servant Lucy Lovegrove in Isleworth with the Singleton family. She was born in Faringdon, Berks.
Piece: 1698, Folio: 181. Page: 35.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 March 23 15:51 BST (UK) »
She could be the Lucy (age 6) who is in Longcot with possible mother Sarah and siblings in 1841
Piece 27, Book 13, Folio 13, Page  20.
As there is no male Lovegrove of suitable age in the household, it is likely Sarah is widowed. There is a 9 year old George in the household. Sarah and (older sister?) Mary age 10 were not born in county (Berks)
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 March 23 15:52 BST (UK) »
Baptism of this Lucy in Longcot on 18 Jan 1835 d/o George and Sarah. George is a labourer so fits 1854 marriage record

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 March 23 15:58 BST (UK) »
George Lovegrove age 31 buried Longcot on 05 Oct 1838. Youngest child Samuel is age 2 on 1841 census so that would fit with a Samuel baptised to George and Sarah on 27 Jan 1839 - transcript doesn't mention George was deceased.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 March 23 16:05 BST (UK) »
Haven't found Samuel on GRO index yet, if he can be found it would give mother's maiden name. There is a marriage between a George Lovegrove and sarah Goose in Isleworth in Dec 1829. FindMyPast has ? for date.
This could explain the Isleworth connection for Lucy and why she thought she was born there.

Added;
 image of 1829 marriage on Ancestry date is 25 December.