Author Topic: 51 Squadron  (Read 7713 times)

Offline Jalkatz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 51 Squadron
« Reply #18 on: Friday 29 September 06 00:34 BST (UK) »
I have to thank you again, Ann, for that link.  I posted a message and received very good information.  A man is actually writing a book on the Pilsen raid (where my uncle was taken pow) and has a website about it. 

Thudders - apparently, the final crash in operation Bulldog, was between two Avro Lincoln MKB2s of 57 Squadron and 61 Squadron.  The only information I have is; 'the two aircraft collided killing both crews.  The cause of the accident was not determined but could have been due to  minor errors in timing, a convergence of tracks on approach to the target or inadequate lookout by the gunners...'

However, family said it was caused by ground control who brought one in to land and sent another up at the same time (heavy fog).  The wings clipped. 

Best wishes,
Jackie
Clark, Kirkbride
Matthews, Westward, Curthwaite, Kirkbride, Wigton
Simpson, Newby, Morland, Westmorland
Watson, Renwick Cul
Thompson, Stainton, Penrith
Renwick, Whitehaven & Alston
Kirkbride, Whitehaven
Conaway, Whitehaven & Co Down
Ostle, Cul

Offline Jalkatz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 29 September 06 00:41 BST (UK) »
Thudders,
I've got the serial numbers of the 'planes. RE374 or 57 Squadron and RF407 of 61 Squadron.    My uncle was signaller on the RF407.  It was 26 Sept 1949.  Wouldn't that '61 Squadron' be a typo by the person who sent me the information?
Best wishes,
Jackie
Clark, Kirkbride
Watson, Renwick Cul
Kirkbride, Whitehaven
Ostle, Cul

Offline Thudnut

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I'm not a complete idiot - some parts are missing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 29 September 06 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Jalkatz,
I have found a book that may contain the details you are looking for.  It can be found at East Anglia Books: http://www.eastangliabooks.com/new_page_9.htm  Scroll down to the book reference 061141  600 page book for £19.95

Just to confuse matters, it could, indeed, be 61 Squadron as they converted to Lincolns in May 1946.  51 Squadron were flying Halifaxes at the time of the crash.  57 Squadron were also flying Lincolns.

My guess would be one aircraft from 57 Sqn and one from 61 Sqn, so your source would be correct.

I'll keep digging.
Thudders
Dixon - London/Liverpool
Morris - Liverpool
Williams - Liverpool
Hill - Gloucester
Walker - London
Nelson - Liverpool
Martin - Gloucester
Simcock - Liverpool

Offline Jalkatz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 30 September 06 09:53 BST (UK) »
I woke this morning to an Inbox with *eleven* scans of original documents of the Pilsen raid, relating to my uncle and crew, including the first-hand statements of two crewmen who escaped back to England.  It just shows the power of this site, when a months-old topic can be brought back to life.  Ann, thank you for not thinking that my original post was 'too old to bother with'!

Jackie

Clark, Kirkbride
Watson, Renwick Cul
Kirkbride, Whitehaven
Ostle, Cul

Offline annsa

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 30 September 06 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacke,

Glad you got some info, however it's virtually a dead cert, that someone that uses the RAF Commands site will have the information. There is an awful lot of knowledge and information available from the people that use that site. I tend to have a go through some of the genealogical sites on occasions and direct people to the RAF Commands site as I know all the researchers that use there are more than happy to provide any information they have freely with others.

All the best,

Ann

Offline Clive Blackman

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 06 February 24 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know of a link for an association, message board (anything!) for tracing old comrades? 
My uncle, John Edwin Simpson, was shot down Apr 1943 in France.  Was pow Stalag 4B.
After release, continued flying from RAF Waddington, then involved in mid-air collision over Averham (Lincs) in Sept 1949 (Operation Bulldog).  All crew were killed.  It was, apparently, mistake by ground control; resulted in court marshall.

Can't find anything relevant on the RAF Waddington site.

Grateful for any help or advice.

Hi Jackie

My dad, Jack Arthur Blackman (61 Squadron), took me to the war cemetery at Waddington in the early 60s and showed me the graves of his fellow crew who died in a crash.

From my research the crash was on 26 September 1949 on Operation Bulldog, a training mission, and involved  Lincoln RF407 of 61 Squadron and Lincoln RE374 of 57 Squadron which collided over Staythorpe Newark.

His old friend Mitch (Albert Henry James Mitchell), who was with his previous crew (RF513), was killed in that crash, as was John Edwin Conway Simpson.

My dad said he was ill on that day and could not fly… he was the wireless op, as was your uncle John Simpson.  I was taken aback when I realised you were John's niece.  I was unsure whether to reply but felt I should share.

I don’t know if you will see this post so long after your original.

Best wishes

Clive Blackman