Author Topic: Direct Line Only vs The Whole Kit ‘n’ Caboodle  (Read 5249 times)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Direct Line Only vs The Whole Kit ‘n’ Caboodle
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 27 May 06 01:39 BST (UK) »
>> I play the hokey cokey with mine

Left leg in Left leg out quickly ... when I am hitting brickwalls... then whole self in whole self out when I get great leads .........then hit the brickwall! <<

That's so true of me, too, Cal!

Thanks for the info, Jinks!

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
  • G grandparents Francis Laughlan and Agnes Tripney
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 01 June 06 18:48 BST (UK) »
I think that direct line vs the whole family will also depend on the stage of your research that you are and how long a project you are envisaging. I've only being doing my tree for a couple of months so have only concentrating on my direct ancestors (although have investigated siblings to get further information when necessary).

I agree that researching the whole family will give a much more complete story. So although i'm tracing the direct line on all sides at the moment, the names and approx birthdates/places of their children and siblings that I've got from census data, etc are saved in the family tree program so that can research them when the direct lines dry up!

Gordon
Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 01 June 06 19:06 BST (UK) »
I agree, Gordon!

If some of the folks in my direct line would only cooperate, I would be spending more time on them at first!

It seems the poorer the family, the more they moved around, and the harder it is to find information about them.  I come from several lines in which people felt the need to hide certain information and therefore lied quite a bit!

Regards,
Josephine
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Springbok

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 02 June 06 23:42 BST (UK) »
I definitely do the lot. Started by putting everyone in My Familyhistorian programme , suddenly had a branch from my ma's side which was huge.

Started a separate GEDCOM file which now has 446 names, another on my dad's side which has 262.

None huge but the interest  is not just finding names but finding out that a couple who married way back had lived next door as children. Their fathers had the same occupation , in what seemed to be a small community.

Then you come across details of this"small" village and find that it was renowned for a couple of industries..  from the 1700's . Which then explained why there were a number of people who came to work from Scotland (Printers)

Hate to think how much  I would have missed  by staying to the direct line.(and all the new friends I have made on the way)

Spring

Dorset: Ackerman,Bungey,Bunter Chant,Hyle
Islington:Bedford, Eaton,Wilkins
Beds,Fulham: Brazier
Shoreditch: Burton,Coverdale
Essex ,Clerkenwell:Craswell,Cresswell
St.Lukes Middx:Doughty, Dunkley
Andover/IOW/Fulham:Gasser
Fulham: Neal
Bucks:Putnam,Wingrove
Bullwell.Notts:Wilkinson
Clerkenwell/Islington:Wyllie
Herts/ Tottenham/Walthamstow:Young

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 03 June 06 17:14 BST (UK) »
I've just been having an argument with myself about how much of my tree I put onto my new and improved website.

Do I add my direct line only which is small or the huge whole one with Great Uncle Tom Cobley and all.

I decided that I would put the whole thing on because it just means that someone who might be very distantly related might be able to find a link.

What do you think?

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 03 June 06 17:27 BST (UK) »
I feel the same way, Kerry.  One day I hope to put my research / database online and I will include everyone I've found in the hopes that a relative, however distant, might make a connection with me.  Maybe the siblings of my ancestors passed down more family history information than mine did.  I live in hope...  ; )

Regards,
Josephine

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 03 June 06 17:29 BST (UK) »
So do I Josephine!!!

Particluarly with my irish line!!!!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Lainys

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 03 June 06 22:17 BST (UK) »
The Whole Kit 'n' Caboodle for me eventually...

I am still researching my direct line and my husband's.  Although I do include siblings and family where I find them, but as yet not all the census info but am sure I will get to it on this never ending journey  :)

Dolly
See the Surnames I am researching on the surname interest table