Author Topic: Direct Line Only vs The Whole Kit ‘n’ Caboodle  (Read 5250 times)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Direct Line Only vs The Whole Kit ‘n’ Caboodle
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 May 06 19:21 BST (UK) »
badgirl,

Oh, that's too bad.  I guess you would have to cross your fingers and hope to find a will or a lengthy tombstone inscription with his family history or a family plot with people old enough to be his parents buried next to him and the words, "Born in..." in large letters.  ; )

If he was alive for the 1841 census, what does it say for his birthplace?

I guess he wasn't alive for the 1851 census?

Pinn sounds to me like a Dutch name; is it?

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 May 06 19:29 BST (UK) »
badgirl,

Have you been able to take a look at the microfilm of this:

http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/query/results/?Mode=Search;SearchWords=Cliffe

"see also scrapbook of William Pinn of Chatham, tailor c.1800"

That sounds very interesting!  But maybe it's just recipes he cut out of the newspaper?  (LOL)

I think Medway Ancestors might have a look-up service (for a fee).

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Chasing-fireflies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy is like Chasing fireflies....
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 May 06 20:15 BST (UK) »
I have seen what is on the site for it but i have not seen any microfilm. Its full of history about the Pinns and contains baptisms and all sorts. It says that the pinns dedicated themselves to preserving local history and that they were a long line of historians. Look what i married into!!! Its actually my Husband who is a Pinn and he is not interested in genealogy one little bit. I managed to "copy" what they had on the site but i dont know if there is more than what i have seen on there on microfilm. Maybe when i move a bit closer i will dig a bit further.
 ;)
Thanks for looking for me though!!!! ;D

Ps not sure where the name comes from but loads of Pinns living down south in the Cornwall and devon areas!
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 May 06 06:07 BST (UK) »
Well it is everyone related for me. My tree is not just for my children and grandchildren but for my Nephews and nieces as well. They don't always want to see just their father or mothers side - they want to see both sides. So I tend to do direct line with spouses. Then add 2 generations of the spouses family (if I can get them). As for direct line siblings I have to trace them as they show the cousins. The furthest back I have got is 1478 thanks to a brilliant 3rd cousin who had been researching for 30 years to get the info and happily handed a copy over. The rest is mainly 1800's.

One of my 2nd cousins is doing a direct line but that wouldn't be enough for me I'm afraid.

I love a challenge and this is a challenge that an not be completed (not really completed) Always something to do with it, someone else to research so plenty to do

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 May 06 12:54 BST (UK) »
I'm with you on all that, Carol.  Apart from one person who has researched the Irish side, I'm the only one in the family doing any research.  I hope some of my siblings' children will be interested in seeing information about both of their parents.

It's also useful when you hit a brick wall - put that line on one side for a spell and chase up some of the other families.  I find that I come back refreshed and with new enthusiasm to tackle the problems.

Monica
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TaffyBlue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 May 06 13:19 BST (UK) »
I am a "Whole Kit 'n' Caboodler".  I started off doing just my direct line, but then incorporated my wife's tree (so the tree is from our son upwards).  I then included siblings, their spouses, the spouses' siblings and parents, and it just grew from there.

In fact, doing it this way has opened the door to some distant rellies who were only related by a very distant marriage, but ended up having information and pictures about family in my direct line.

So it pays to include the lot.   :D
FLOWERDEW - Norfolk, GUERIN - London, HAMER - Wales, MARUBBI - Wales/Italy, HODGES - Cheshire, NOBBS - Yarmouth, Norfolk, WILLIAMS - Caernarfonshire, WILSON - Glasgow, WOOLSEY - Norfolk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 21 May 06 13:25 BST (UK) »
The whole kit 'n Caboodle for me  ;D

I'm now investigating my grandfather's sister's great granddaughter's husband's line  ::) ::) ::)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 21 May 06 14:10 BST (UK) »
Me too

I find that sometimes by investigating siblings of my direct line and their families offers clues to members of the direct line that you can't get to.  Also in a close knit community like some of the villages in Sussex where the majority of my family came from it helps in building the wider picture of the local history my direct line were involved in.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 May 06 14:40 BST (UK) »
Exactly Taffy - Thanks to a 2nd cousin of my Dad's that I found we managed to get photos of the "common" ancestors - my Great Graet Grandparents as well as a couple of photos of my Great Grandparents

So definitely worth it going down all lines and as Monica says it is great when you hit a brick wall as you can go off and find someone else somewhere else along the line and come back with more ideas on how to look for the first one

Gadget - 3rd cousin 1 x removed should be fun especially if you find her husband is related. My brother married my husband's neice so now I have a Niece/sisterinlaw and my Nephews are also my Great nephews. Now that can be confusing especially as I am also m y nephews Godmother lol (poor kids)

Kerry - My mother's Grandfather and all his family are from Holyhead and some still live there so always best to follow every line so you find out more about the local history

Carol

Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>