Author Topic: 1891 and 1901 Census - Templeman in Merthry Tydil  (Read 4238 times)

Offline bates

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 and 1901 Census - Templeman in Merthry Tydil
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 May 06 10:32 BST (UK) »
yes you have given my tree a good shake so far!!

I find these charleses a little confusing myself!

Charles 1781 (Caius's grandfather)
Charles 1821 (Caius's father)
Charles 1849 (Caius's brother)

I believe that Charles Templeman (most senior) and Sarah Churchill married 24 Sept 1816 East Chinnock.

So i guess it is a long time between 1816 and 1821 to conceive your first child!

I THINK Charles' (most senior) parents were Francis and Martha.  Francis was born around 1745 according to the burial records....

Any sign of a son Francis or daughter Sarah?

Tanya  :o
bates (marsworth and drayton parslow) campbell (derrylard and loughgall) connell (paisley) cunningham (west lothian) macauley (liverpool, accrington and bacup) templeman (somerset)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 May 06 10:38 BST (UK) »
Any sign of a son Francis or daughter Sarah?

Which generation would they be?  Approx dates of birth would help.  :)

Have you got Caius on the censuses?

;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline bates

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 May 06 10:53 BST (UK) »
Caius is on the 1881 Census with his parents Charles (1821) and Lizzie (Elizabeth Hughes) and siblings Jane and Martha.  54 Penn St Merthyr Tydfil.

Well if there are children before Charles (1821) would they follow a naming pattern like say Scottland?

If Charles ( most senior - 1781) has parents Francis and Martha, would it not stand to reason that he would name his children after them first? 

They would have to be born in 1816, 1817, 1818, 1819 or 1820 before Charles was born in 1821.
bates (marsworth and drayton parslow) campbell (derrylard and loughgall) connell (paisley) cunningham (west lothian) macauley (liverpool, accrington and bacup) templeman (somerset)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 22 May 06 11:12 BST (UK) »
OK - with you now!

There is no suitable Frank/ Francis born Somerset on the English 1841 census. Neither is there a Martha.

The 1851 doesn't reveal any either.

Those born about this time are not from Chinnock or Crewkerne.

BUT - I found this:

1861 census   RG9/1640/78/3

Robert RENDELL H M 29 - ag lab -
Martha W M 34 - glove sewer leather
Henry TEMPLEMAN son in law U 18 - ag lab
Fanny dau in law 12 - glove sewer leather
George son in law 10 - ag lab
Sarah mother in law Wid 63 - ag lab
Adeline sister in law U 24 - glove sewer leather - deaf & dumb from birth

All born East Chinnock, Somerset

Address: 7 West St, East Chinnock

Strongly suggests that the children were born to Martha, dau of Sarah, before she troubled the vicar!!  The term "in law" in the case of the children meaning they were born before Martha's marriage to RENDELL - although they could still be his!  In those days a subsequent marriage did not legitimise the children.

;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline bates

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 22 May 06 11:28 BST (UK) »
Yes I did know that Martha Templeman married Robert Rendell.  I am trying to go through everything I can find that i have somewhere at the moment....

interesting fact that "son in law" "daughter in law" - ummm.

Some info on Caius's brother Charles!??!?!

1891 British Census
CHARLES WILLIAM FREDERICK TEMPLEMAN
Elizabeth (Eliza) Alice Templeman (nee Hinton)
Charles Frederick Templeman
William Hinton Templeman
George Henry Templeman
ALBERT EDWARD TEMPLEMAN
Thomas James Templeman

1881 British Census
As above with the exception of  Thomas James Templeman

BUT I don't know where I got this info from

thanks
tanya ;D

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 22 May 06 11:38 BST (UK) »
Daisy found you that 1891 census in answer # 5 above

;)

Offline bates

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 22 May 06 11:47 BST (UK) »

I just found my copy of Charles Templeman and Mary Ann Rogers Wedding Certificate!

Why I didnt have this info written in my general blurb I just dont know!!!!!

They married 25 August 1845 by banns  - Parish Church West Chinnock, Yeovil.  Both of his parents signed and someone called Hannah Rogers signed for Mary Ann.

So if they were married in 1845 and had Charles in 1849 and Caius much later in 1862 there would have to be other siblings between them.  Could one of the sisters be called Hannah or Sarah? 

Tanya  :o

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 22 May 06 11:55 BST (UK) »
Well that was a nice surprise!  :)

Hi Tanya

Why don't you have a quick look and see what censuses you have for which family?

I am going to suggest that you stop this thread now and start new ones for other look-ups.

I will happily help with those too, but this one is getting a bit complicated and long!  :)

If you need, say 1891 for Somerset post that on the Somerset board & refer to this thread, so that you don;t need to keep typing up all the info (you can copy & paste the URL from this thread into the new one).

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Offline bates

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 22 May 06 12:05 BST (UK) »
If anything I think you have immensely helped me sort my stuff - and I thankyou for that. 

I also have an idea of where I need to start from here so I will do that another time when I have less other things I must do. 

Thankyou so much for all your help
Cheers
(and good night)
tanya