Author Topic: Distant Relative  (Read 829 times)

Offline ednalou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Distant Relative
« on: Sunday 21 May 06 11:13 BST (UK) »
I dont know whether I am on the right page, but what I would like to say is a big THANK YOU to Rootschat.  I posted various  requests in Bedfordshire, Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire back in September last year about my
Great Grandfather. and my Great Grandmother.  I had quite a few replies but one in particular, it turned out that my
Great Grandmother was sister to this lady's
Great Great Grandfather.  Over the months we have e mailed each other.  Then suddenly just before Christmas I became very ill, but my very distant relative kept in touch with my husband while I was in hospital in the same manner, then they made telephone contact.   I had to go to Papworth Hospital one day and we drove a little further and met up with my relative for the first time, it was just a quick visit, so we didn't have much time to talk, but we made arrangements to meet up again.  Yesterday we met up so we could have a proper chat.  I met her mum, her 2 sons and her daughter.  It was a really lovely day, they made my husband and I so welcoming.  So if I hadn't gone on Rootschat and posted any requests on your boards, I would never have known anything
about my relative.

I just wanted to post this message on your site so other members can see that some good can come out of going on your site.

Thank you once again

Gillian 

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Relative
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 May 06 16:41 BST (UK) »
That's lovely Gillian.  I hope you are much better now, if not fully recovered.

I have met two distant cousins on RC, one came over from Ireland last year and visited my Mum and me at Mum's flat.  He is from Mum's side of the family and she was thrilled to meet him.  He's a lovely young man, and we are in constant touch via email.  My other 'cous' is regularly on the Cheshire board and also contacts me regularly via email and has been extremely generous in sending me many copies of certificates in relation to our mutual Great Grandfather.

There is no other site like RC for meeting such wonderful generous people who fast become friends and a second family.

Kind regards
Su
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 May 06 18:49 BST (UK) »
Gillian, well done on your find and you must let us know how it all pans out.  Does your new found rellie have any photos, any family resemblances?

I too hope that you are much better.

Best wishes

Fiona
Wheeldon  Derbyshire & Manchester
Willshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Wilshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Pugh Manchester, Haston, Hadwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Patrick Coventry, Warwick, Foleshill
Kelly Dronmore County Down & Manchester
Stewart  Hilsborough County Down & Manchester
Moffatt/Moffitt County May &, Lancashire

Offline ednalou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 May 06 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona

Thank you for replying,  I have seen a couple of photographs that she had got.  I know it sounds weard but when I was in hospital both my husband and daughter thought that I had sent a sae to myself, but when I opened the letter it was from my distant relative.  Her handwriting and mine looks very similar.  Also when we called in at her house when I had been to Papworth Hospital, she had the same handbag as mine and those night light candles in there holders were also the same, I got mine as a Christmas present.  Is that weard or is it a conicidence.

When we met yesterday we were both at ease, you would have thought that we had known each other for years.

Have you managed to find any relative by rootschat and met up with them?

I hope your family tree goes well.

Regards

Gillian

Offline ednalou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 May 06 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

Thank you for replying.  I am so pleased someone else has also met up with their relative, through putting a request on rootschat.  It gives you such a buzz when you come up with the information, but you get a bigger buzz when you meet up.  Apparently my distant relative has said that we have some irish connections, but we dont know how to get the information, because I dont think they have census's like we do. 

I do hope you keep in touch with your relative like we will.

Happy Family Tree hunting

Regards

Gillian

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 May 06 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am Gillians `distant relative`and I have to say that although we may only be `third cousins once removed` it really dosnt matter, because over the last few months we have become good friends and it has been a real joy getting to know her and her lovely family.
  Without RootsChat we probably would never have known of each others existence, and when we first met a few weeks ago it was as if we had known each other all our lives.
Linda.
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk