Author Topic: Bevan Row, Port Tennant, Swansea  (Read 12181 times)

Offline sheiljoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Bevan Row, Port Tennant, Swansea
« on: Sunday 21 May 06 14:59 BST (UK) »
My Gt Grandparents lived in Bevan Row,  Port Tennant, 1885 (on marriage certificate)

Is it still standing and has anyone got any photo's of it

I would love to know

Regards Sheila
These are the names I am researching and the further I delve the further apart the country is. Clarke, Fitt, Foulkes, French, Harris, Hobbs, Mckenna, Mottoul, Pugh, Scull, Smith, Spalding, Sprigg, Thomas, Wright. A right mixture here, England, Ireland, Wales & Belgium

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bevan Row, Port Tennant, Swansea
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 May 06 15:52 BST (UK) »
My Gt Grandparents lived in Bevan Row,  Port Tennant, 1885 (on marriage certificate)
Is it still standing and has anyone got any photo's of it
I would love to know
Regards Sheila

Hi Sheila,

There's quite a lot about Port Tennant on the GENUKI site at:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/GLA/Swansea/

If you look through, you might find some photos on there.

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline sheiljoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 May 06 16:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Romilly

I will check it out

Regards Sheila
These are the names I am researching and the further I delve the further apart the country is. Clarke, Fitt, Foulkes, French, Harris, Hobbs, Mckenna, Mottoul, Pugh, Scull, Smith, Spalding, Sprigg, Thomas, Wright. A right mixture here, England, Ireland, Wales & Belgium

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 May 06 04:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
There's a  Bevans Row there today
you can view where it is by going to the below multimap link

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0h3/

The only Bevan roads which are around today in  the Port Tennant area  (that are  listed in my current  Swansea Street Atlas )is that one above off Fabian Way . I can't  picture/remember Bevans road myself  ( I'm from Swansea, but  I am currently in Australia) so I can't tell you if it is a new or old road, (maybe someone else can tell you if it is an old or new road ) , but that road is spelled with a S- Bevans Row - There are no Bevan Row (without an S)  in Port Tennant today according to my Atlas
The only others on my map  that around today in Swansea are not in Port Tennant:
Bevan Way ( in Gowerton), and Bevans Terrace ( in Winchwen)

:)

Moderator comment: link shortened to fit the page!!

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline sheiljoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 May 06 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Cell

Many thanks for that link, I also noticed St Thomas on it too which is another place where they lived

Thanks for your time and effort :)

Kind Regards Sheila

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 00:28 BST (UK) »
No problem,
I also asked my hubby if he could remember it, as he knows that area of Swansea a lot better than I do as one of his grandmother's used to live in Port Tennant . It's  also were his dad grew up  as a child just before the war and after the war  ( his dad  and his siblings was evacuated from the area during the war to the countryside) .

My husband said he does know the st , but can't  really remember much about it. On the  Swansea st atlas I have ( which is supposed to be up to date - I bought it  just last year from a petrol station when I went back home  to Swansea for a holiday)  it has got a building next to Bevans row  called "works"  on it - which my hubby thinks is not there at all, so it really shouldn't be on my current map. He says he thinks that building is   derelict/ruins today (?) - I think  that the building may have once been  a fuse factory back in the early 1900's . One of my hubby's ancestors was  working at a Swansea fuse factory when she was 15 in 1901, and  we sort of worked out where it may be by the historical  directories and some old maps ,which is right  next to Bevans row on my modern map

He also said I doubt very much that the old houses are still standing in the st  as Port Tennant being on the docks was bombed a bit , which I did know.
Many of the homes today around Port Tennant are council houses, I don't think I recall seeing any very, very old homes around the area either. I know  that where one of my other hubby's  ancestors lived in  Port Tennant around the very late 1800's , there is now a block of flats on it. (We went looking for the house last year)

Apparently there is a Mosque on Bevans Row today, if you put the street name into google, you'll come across references to  it. I can't find any pictures of it though on the net.  Perhaps someone living around the area may be kind enough to take  some photos for you of the street.

Good luck :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline sheiljoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Cell

I bet my family who came from there couldn't remember it now, like all things, it changes

Regards Sheila

Offline ambers

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 May 06 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheila,

This link goes to an Estate Agent in Swansea, although not a house for sale in Bevan Road there is one in Port Tennant.

http://www.peteralan.co.uk/index.php?nID=search&currentpage=6

I remember visiting that area as a child and there were streets of terraced houses in Port Tennant. Sticks out in my mind because I had never seen this before....all running down the side of the mountain in straight lines.....

Jay
GLAMORGAN: Evans. Davies. Eddy. Bradnum.
GLAM to USA:Walter H Davies 1886.Thomas J 1852
PEMBROKE: Bradnum.Summers
CARMARTHENSHIRE:Davies. Jones
NORFOLK/SUFFOLK: Bradnum.Cork.Helsdon 3 in Australia, Whiskins. Fairhead.Catchpole.
DEVON:Mallett. Acford, Kidston.Short.Lover.Edwards,Telford.Sparrow
SOMERSET: Masey
CORNWALL:Eddy.Thomas Maddern.Harvey. Noy.Reynolds,Batten,Curtis.
Cornwall to USA: Thomas, Semmens. Oats
Warwickshire: Mountney

Offline maxim

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 May 06 21:11 BST (UK) »
I was born at 13 bevens row 1959.some of the houses are still standing