Author Topic: Bevan Row, Port Tennant, Swansea  (Read 12183 times)

Offline sheiljoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bevan Row, Port Tennant, Swansea
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 07 June 06 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi John

You will never guess what!!!! Of all the certificates I had sent for I had forgotten to get my grandparents marriage certificate. Well it came today and my grandmother lived at number 9 Bevans Row at the time of her marriage.

How strange is that after you telling me your friend lived at number 9.

My grandfather lived at 57 Wind Street, Swansea is that near by at all?

Just thought I would let you know that bit of info, so a photo of No 9 Bevans Row would be fantastic. You can tell your friend the name of the people who lived in their house in 1907 was Louis Mottoul,  wife Catherine Mottoul and daughter Lettice Annie Mottoul my grandmother. They must have enjoyed living in Bevans Row as they lived at quite a few houses there.

Regards Sheila
These are the names I am researching and the further I delve the further apart the country is. Clarke, Fitt, Foulkes, French, Harris, Hobbs, Mckenna, Mottoul, Pugh, Scull, Smith, Spalding, Sprigg, Thomas, Wright. A right mixture here, England, Ireland, Wales & Belgium

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 08 June 06 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi John
You will never guess what!!!! Of all the certificates I had sent for I had forgotten to get my grandparents marriage certificate. Well it came today and my grandmother lived at number 9 Bevans Row at the time of her marriage.
How strange is that after you telling me your friend lived at number 9.
My grandfather lived at 57 Wind Street, Swansea is that near by at all?
Just thought I would let you know that bit of info, so a photo of No 9 Bevans Row would be fantastic. You can tell your friend the name of the people who lived in their house in 1907 was Louis Mottoul,  wife Catherine Mottoul and daughter Lettice Annie Mottoul my grandmother. They must have enjoyed living in Bevans Row as they lived at quite a few houses there.
Regards Sheila

Hi Sheila,

I thought that you might like to know that 57 Wind Street Swansea is now a Pub!!

If you follow this Link you should find a Map of it. (My Grandparents lived in St Helen's Road, Swansea, & my father was born there).

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=265747&y=192937&z=0&ar=Y

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline sheiljoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 09 June 06 00:34 BST (UK) »

Hi Romilly

Many thanks for that, I have had a look at where it is I find  this very fascinating.

I remember years ago when as a child we would visit relatives in Swansea such happy memories, you must have too. St Helen's Road rings a bell for some reason, it will come to me one day out of the blue no doubt.

Kind Regards
Sheila

These are the names I am researching and the further I delve the further apart the country is. Clarke, Fitt, Foulkes, French, Harris, Hobbs, Mckenna, Mottoul, Pugh, Scull, Smith, Spalding, Sprigg, Thomas, Wright. A right mixture here, England, Ireland, Wales & Belgium

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 09 June 06 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly
Many thanks for that, I have had a look at where it is I find  this very fascinating.
I remember years ago when as a child we would visit relatives in Swansea such happy memories, you must have too. St Helen's Road rings a bell for some reason, it will come to me one day out of the blue no doubt.
Kind Regards
Sheila

Hi Sheila,

Yes, it is fascinating isn't it? St Helens Road is on the left of that map, abbreviated to "St Hel":-)
Sadly I never knew my Grandparents who lived there, - they died about 20yrs before I was born. My father, (who was born there) died when I was 5, & all of his brothers are dead too.
I visited Swansea for the first time this May, & was delighted to be able to find some of the houses where my family once lived, still there. For me, it puts into perspective the transient nature of human lives, but how memories of us live on. (If that makes any sense at all!!).

All Best Wishes, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline sheiljoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 11 June 06 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Romily

Just noticed that you have the name Rees from Swansea, on my Grandparents marriage certificate one of the witness's was Annie Rees, I believe that this is someone very close to my grandparents the other witness was William Hobbs who is a relative.

Do you think there may be a connection to your Rees, this was in 1907 when they got married

All the Best Sheila

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 11 June 06 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Romily
Just noticed that you have the name Rees from Swansea, on my Grandparents marriage certificate one of the witness's was Annie Rees, I believe that this is someone very close to my grandparents the other witness was William Hobbs who is a relative.
Do you think there may be a connection to your Rees, this was in 1907 when they got married
All the Best Sheila

Hi Sheila,

I'm sure that it could be quite possible, - now wouldn't that be nice!

I haven't followed every one of my REES line, - i.e. not all of the siblings, just the Grandparents/Great & GG's. My Grandmother Margaret Rees did have a sister called Sarah Anne, & my GGGrandmother was Anne Rees, - & so perhaps one of my lot was a friend of your Grandparents! I'm sure that Swansea in 1907 was a much smaller community than it is now, - & people would know each other better than they tend to nowadays.

Do you have any photos of your Grandparent's wedding?

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Researching:

Offline sheiljoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 11 June 06 15:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly

It would be nice wouldn't it.

Sorry but the only photo's I have of them is after they were married which is a pity. I just don't know where or who has got the photo's, I do know,  that like I told you before, St Helens Rd rings a bell with me so does the name Annie Rees just wish I could remember. I shouldn't be going senile yet as I am not that old, my children would probably disagree with that remark.

I am going to check the census records I have, as I know my Gran was visiting someone on the 1901 census. I just know the name Rees is somewhere locked in my head and I have got to find it.

The other witness on the cert. was William Hobbs I don't know if that might help you but I do know that he was a relative.

This is really getting to me now and I have to go out soon so I shall have to check my info later, worse luck.

Let you know if I find anything out

All the Best
Sheila

Offline sheiljoy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 11 June 06 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Romilly

I just had to look out the 1901 census for my Gran, she was visiting a Rees family RG13 Piece 5045 Folio 27 Page 45 Sch. No. 250

The head is stated as Jno Rees,  age 24 Occ Coal Miner wife Annie Rees 24, Annie Rees 18 boarder, male, coal miner. I think I need to check out the original census for this one, looks like it has been transcribed incorrect

I knew it rang a bell somewhere eureka!!! the brain still works

The address was 48 Station Rd, Nantymoel, all born Glamorgan

Speak again soon
Sheila

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 11 June 06 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheila,

Doesn't ring any bells for me, but you never know... ;)

On the Rees side of my family there are Rees's marrying Rees's going back for generations!! And they all seem to have had big families too, - by present day standards anyway.

One of the joys of family history for me is trying to piece some of it together!

Good Luck with your research.

Cheers, Romilly.
Researching: