Author Topic: 1901 Census any missing pages?  (Read 3845 times)

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Census any missing pages?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 May 06 22:23 BST (UK) »
Tricia, Hackstaple.....you've made a little group of people very happy.  Thank you so much......perhaps we should all invest in some new glasses!

I have Matilda in 1891 living in Plumstead and her marriage cert for 1905.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 May 06 22:28 BST (UK) »
That's the right Matilda; she's my grandma but died when my dad was a little boy. She feels like a real person now I am finding out more about her life and family.

The only details I have for John and Ellen are that  baby John was born 9th July 1900 at 176 Queen's Rd, Battersea. and that  they crossed the Thames at some time because John snr died in 1924 in Kensington.  Have not been able to find a marriage cert. yet nor any birth certs for the rest of the family. Baby John was the first born, and my grandpa.

This is great news.....thanks so much.

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 May 06 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hackstaple,

If baby John is with grandparents Frederick and Catherine Viney; does that mean that parents John and Ellen are somewhere else?

To add to the confusion I thought I'd found Ellen's parents as William and Catherine.......back to the drawing board.

Nanny Jan

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 May 06 23:23 BST (UK) »
John and Ellen are definitely not with the elder Vineys in 1901. I have not found them. 1901 one suspects South Africa for a missing man.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 May 06 23:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks, had not thought of South Africa. Will come back to this tomorrow and try to get copy of census sheet when fully awake.

Thank you so much for your help and advice.

And it's goodnight from me.......

Nanny Jan

Offline 'Tricia

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edith Gent Bowskill
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 May 06 23:31 BST (UK) »
This is the full entry for 1901 - not convinced it is the correct family - could John be the daughter of Anne Howard on this entry? The surnname of the parents is difficult to read but could be Vicary, Visary or?? Doesn't look too much like Viney ??? ???

Frederick Vicary (??)Head age 43 Bricklayer  b. Pimlico, London
Catherine Vicary wife age 41  b. Camden, London
Elizabeth Vicary dau age 17 Dressmaker  b. Pimlico, London
Frederick Vicary son age 15 Saw...mill(?) labourer  b. Notting Hill, London
Anne Howard dau age 20 Mar, b. Notting Hill, London
John Howard Grandson age 8 weeks b. Battersea, London

If you say that you do not have any details for John and Ellen Howard how do you know that her parents are William and Catherine and where did you find this?

Can't trace John and Ellen on 1901 without more details

Tricia
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.NationalArchives.gov.uk
Nottinghamshire,Bulwell: Bowskill, Everley, Gent, Haywood, Houghton, Wilkinson.
Nottinghamshire, Mansfield:- Baxter
Buckinghamshire: Charlesworth, Fowler
Derbyshire:Brimington:- Adams, Baxter
London: Bird, Charlesworth, Coleman, Desmoulins, Everard, Jarman, Quinton, Richards
Italy: Gioffredi

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 08:34 BST (UK) »
John's parents, according to birth cert, are John and Ellen Mary Eliza (n. Viney) Howard.   Baby John was born in July so he would be around 8 months old not 8 weeks.

I found an Ellen Mary Eliza  Viney on freebmd and ordered her birth cert which shows William and Catherine as her parents.  I took a chance with this one as I do not have a marriage cert with her father's name but as she had 3 names I felt reasonably confident.

I am confident of her maiden name as my mother  alwayssaid "gran's family were Viney".  As for John snr; well my grandpa said his dad was from a Russian Jewish family and that he had married beneath him (and wrong religion) but I have found nothing to confirm this.  Sadly no family left to ask!

According to his death cert John snr was 55 when he died in 1924 but I do not know how accurate this is.

Thanks for all your help.

Nanny Jan

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 11:03 BST (UK) »
Tricia could be right and I may have been wrong. I still read the entry as John Howard age 8 mon[ths] not weeks but he may indeed have been with grandmother Catherine but in a family Vicary not Viney. Just an amazing coincidence.
However, it is always worth remembering that the pages you see are enumerators' TRANCRIPTS of information gathered from households. We all know of innumerable and often laughable errors in those immediate transcriptions.
Your comment about the Howards being of Russian Jewish origin is interesting. Howard and Howerd were often surnames chosen by such [witness Michael Howard, the politician].
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 11:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Hackstaple for all your help.  Baby John would have been around 8 months but the writing on his birth cert is clear; plus mums recollection of Viney as her gran's family.

My mum would always call Michael Howard   "cousin Michael" ; even though his family came from Roumania and our Howards allegedly from Russia.

Nanny Jan