Author Topic: No Coroners report, no Obituary...where to now  (Read 4045 times)

Offline ambers

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
No Coroners report, no Obituary...where to now
« on: Monday 22 May 06 21:00 BST (UK) »
Can anyone make any suggestions as to where I go from here.

I am trying to trace my grandfather but death informant was the Coroner in Cardiff

So asked for a search:

Coroners reports for 1925 either destroyed or Sealed and Bound...Cardiff Library.

I then asked for a search of the Cardiff papers...Western Mail, South Wales Echo, and Cardiff Times.

Nothing in Obituaries or a mention of my grandfather drowning...even though an Inquest was carried out...verdict was Open.

I was hoping for information on the death certificate to lead me to other members of my family, and with a name of Evan D Evans in Cardiff I really need names confirmed.

Is there anywhere else can I search?

Jay
GLAMORGAN: Evans. Davies. Eddy. Bradnum.
GLAM to USA:Walter H Davies 1886.Thomas J 1852
PEMBROKE: Bradnum.Summers
CARMARTHENSHIRE:Davies. Jones
NORFOLK/SUFFOLK: Bradnum.Cork.Helsdon 3 in Australia, Whiskins. Fairhead.Catchpole.
DEVON:Mallett. Acford, Kidston.Short.Lover.Edwards,Telford.Sparrow
SOMERSET: Masey
CORNWALL:Eddy.Thomas Maddern.Harvey. Noy.Reynolds,Batten,Curtis.
Cornwall to USA: Thomas, Semmens. Oats
Warwickshire: Mountney

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: No Coroners report, no Obituary...where to now
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 May 06 21:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambers

Welcome to Rootschat!  ;)

You give a bit more info here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,157170.msg729887.html#msg729887

Did he marry?  Edit: just realised he is your grandfather - apologies!!  Who and when and what children?  His marriage cert would help to narrow down the search by providing his fathers name and occupation.

What family stories are there about him? Is there anyone left alive to ask?  Do you know his place of work?

Have you tried to locate a birth for him or him on the 1901 cnesus?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline ambers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 May 06 21:59 BST (UK) »
Arrowroots...thank you for suggestions.

I am the only  member of this family now, and my dad's family all split up on his fathers death when he was 15...none of the other four children had children and are also deceased, so no one to ask questions to

I have him on the 1901 Census but was relying on his birth certificate to confirm I was following the right Evan David Evans ....there are quite alot around.

I do have a possible marriage year, and will send  for a certificate providing they will supply one on the limited details I could provide.

Jay

NORFOLK/SUFFOLK: Bradnum.Cork.Helsdon 3 in Australia, Whiskins. Fairhead.Catchpole.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Jay

Good luck with finding the certificate - let us know when it arrives and we will try to help.

(I did see an Evan David in 1901, but as you say difficult to be sure it is the right one without corroboration).

Hope to hear from you again soon.

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline ambers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 12:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you Arrowroots......I noticed you put a link to my previous post.  Should I have continued on that thread being a newbie I wasn't sure what to do?

I found Evan David Evans on Census RG 13/5017
Possible birth 1870....Dec  11a 333
Possible Marriage 11a 858..sent for Certificate last night.

I was relying on the Death Certificate to confirm his fathers name, so hopefully I have ordered the correct Marriage Certificate and will be tracing my family...

I have also being looking at Edith Mary Davies but once again there are many of them but possibly on RG12/4424

I am really getting hooked on this.

Regards Jay

Offline ambers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 May 06 15:31 BST (UK) »
Success at last, The National Library of wales hold other Cardiff papers...all editions. South Wales Gazette and Cardiff Advertiser

AND....they have founds the report of my grandfathers Inquest with at least two family names and addresses mentioned
Now I have the confirmed leads hopefully I won't be re-searching the wrong family.....

Apologies Arranroots for referring to you as Arrowroots  ::)which was a user name of mine at one time. 

Also my compliments to both Cardiff Library and the National Library of Wales (Rang back with the information in 20minutes) and is even going to try and trace the Quarry that my Grandfather so say owned at one time.
They both were really interested, and so helpful.

I am going to be a hermit for the next couple of days with my searches

Regards Jay

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 25 May 06 17:18 BST (UK) »
Congratulations Jay - good news indeed.

Might have to ring the Library myself, they sound very helpful.

Arranroots (but will also answer to Arrowroots or anything as long as it is not rude!!)  ;D

Offline ambers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 July 06 03:00 BST (UK) »
Good news at last Arranroots.

The family I have been tracing, and got very attached to are mine ;D ;D ;D

The marriage certificate came but it could have been anybodys with those names. Edith's death certificate provided me with the name of her brother, David??? (shame he said Thomas on the Census) The newspaper cutting gave a married name of my grandfathers sister (Masey), and I managed to find a marriage for Emily to William Masey......the certificate arrived to-day so that links the family all together!!!! 

Sorry to rabbit on but as a beginner I am so excited that I actually managed to trace anything, never mind about it being in mid wales, couldn't read the names what about type them to ask for help ;D

But their fathers name is David Evans, his is Evan Evans so I guess unless I become a millionaire I will never get a birth certificate for any of them

Got to get  David Evans/ Susannah Davies marriage certificate now I know we are related.... makes them 14 and 16......  ::)???

Ambers

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 July 06 07:23 BST (UK) »
You are doing well!  :)

David & Susannah's marriage
   makes them 14 and 16...   
  - that sounds very young, but not illegal.  Have you checked for Susan* just in case there are others?  At this point, you probably have a few addresses to double check and with a bit of luck you will recognise the witnesses as well as the fathers.

Let us know how you go on & if we can help at all, please ask!

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)