Author Topic: Offer to photograph graves Netherlands  (Read 89468 times)

Offline tisgrannie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Mum myself and Joe, 1949.
    • View Profile
Re: Offer to photograph graves Netherlands
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 01 April 08 04:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Just browsing the site came across this link. If you go onto CWGC.org and where it has search our records you have a choice of casualties or Cemeteries its a drop down arrow. Type in the cemetery you require and hey presto. Info of men and location.
There is also a <steve [--at--] twgpp.org> if you copy this link and paste it, its the link to the War Graves Photograhic project. This is now linked with CWGC. If you check with Steve the guy who runs it with tons of volunteers they would A, appreciate any volunteers B, may already have the grave photo you require. I am a volunteer for the project.
kind regards
tisgrannie

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [AT] with @
Gallagher/Galligan -Heywood, Oldham & Ireland
Jackson-Ashton u Lyne & Oldham
White- Stockport & Hyde
Henry-Newry, Saintfield, & Glasgow
Willis, Beattie, Montogomery & Smith - Belfast & Co Antrim
Wade & Vernon - Co. Down
Procter- Brigg, Lincolnshire & Oldham
Conroy - Ireland & Oldham
Man Regt & R A 52nd Anti-Tank Regt WW11
Ebrey-Shropshire

www..

Offline gereon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 09 June 08 04:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,I was browsing and came across your kind offer and thought I would post a request for a photo of the grave of a family member.His name was Duncan Farquar MATHESON son of Farquhar Matheson and Norah McAllum of New Plymouth New Zealand.Flying Officer Matheson,RNZAF 392057,was the captain on board a Halifax II which took off at 2243 hours from Elvington as part of Operation Essen.Shot down by a nighter (Hptm Paul Forster,I/NJG1) crashing at 0147 hours some 2 km east of Zierikzee (Zeeland) on Schouwen.The crew were initially buried at Haamstede and later reinterred at Bergen -op -Zoom.At the time of his death,Matheson had completed 456 flying hours and was on his 4th operation.Date of death,26th July 1943 age 26 years.Cemetery name,Bergen -op - Zoom War Cemetery,Noord - Brabant,Netherlands.Grave No 14 B 7.I hope I have given enough details and that the cemetery is  not too far away.To my knowledge no one in the family here in N.Z has seen a photo of the grave,so what a great opportunity and one that I hope is still available.Many thanks.gereon :)
,McAllum,Argyll.McAllum, Newcastle.Donkin,Newcastle.McKechnie,Auckland.Bainbridge,Newcastle.Fenwick,Featherstone,Muschamp,Little,Craster Northumberland.Livingstone,Inverness.

Offline Bobbydog

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 15 July 08 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just found the website and came across your offer, and was wondering if you or others can help.
We have traced a relative through the War Museum in Edinburgh Castle in Scotland. The details are as follows:- Trooper Robert Hunter 321751, Royal Scots Greys(2nd Dragoons) Royal Armoured Corps.
Died aged 29 on 29/10/1944. He is buried at BERGEN-OP-ZOOM WAR CEMETARY, Ref 19.A.10, Casualty type : Commonwealth War Dead.
We believe he was involved in the liberation of Netherland only days earlier, but have no proof as yet, as our research tell us the Infantry Brigade of the Canadian Armoured Division may have led the assault on the Germans.
Anyway would really appreciate any help you can give us.
Best Regards

Offline PATS50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 17 December 08 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello Glen and Liz Cooper ( nee Erdbeer),

Doing WWII  research for a 50x50mi area around my hometown Vollenhove
Raalte is also in my "square"
Any photos or info from Sgt. William John Erdbeer ?

see also my page: http://www.geocities.com/t_schuurman/jack-edward-gibbs.htm

Or any other posters on this site ..... who does have info of Glen & Liz Cooper
Let me know.  ths

Regards  - Teunis Schuurman - aka - PATS - Vollenhove

Name: ERDBEER, WILLIAM JOHN
Initials: W J
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
Unit Text: 158 Sqdn.
Date of Death: 28/05/1943
Service No: 1037117

Grave/Memorial Reference: Grave 12.
Cemetery: RAALTE GENERAL CEMETERY ZWOLLE

i did try to find when in Holad this year but found out when i got home that he is in a civilian grave yard

so if you could help in anyway i and his brother would be eternally greatful

thank you
Glen and Liz Cooper(nee Erdbeer)

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Dear Renee.S and petey22

I am looking for any New Zealand Air Force graves pictures in Holland as my colleague in New Zealand is taking part in a project to get photographs of all RNZAF graves onto a website so anyone could access them.  I would really appreciate anything you can do. 

It is a wonderful thing you are doing for these people and their families. 

Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline mjflett

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 20 December 09 17:46 GMT (UK) »
hi just na enquiry to as if you still photograph war graves/ memorials.
my uncle was killed in the 2nd world war.
his details apear on groesbeck memorial and would be very grateful of a photo of his name and details on this memorial to give to my mother his sister.
regards michael

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 21 December 09 08:56 GMT (UK) »
If anyone is interested, I have a photograph of the grave of Wing Commander N D Crockart, died 27 June 1940 and is buried at Callantsoog.

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: N.Z. wargraves Holland Vredenhof
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 02 February 10 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Dear Dee Boneham. Do you know about a Oswald A. Matthews age 20 in 1941, born Wellington NZ, pilot 115 squadron, plane might be Well R 1053 but hard to read in photo of list, target Cologne, died 7/07/41 buried 7/08/41 This again is hard to read. There are also; George Young from Palmerston died 1942, another two from Palmerston, someone from Christchurch  but my photo was focused on the person I was looking for so is poor elsewhere. 
The burials are in a private cemetery at Vredenhof on the island of Schiermonnikoog off  the north coast of Holland.
There are only 118 burials there starting from a seaman in 1906 but mostly service men of all nationalities who have washed up on the beaches there. The majority seem to be airmen from 39/45.I got the above from a photo of the list of graves which I took in 2005 but it is not a very clear picture.
I have photos of the cemetery and there is one on the CWGC site. It is a lovely spot and well kept be the locals.
I can send photos of the list and the general views of the cemetery if anyone wants them. Humphpaul   
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your offer Humphpaul I have sent you a pm to ask you to send the photos via email to my friend in NZ.  I have also got a contact on another forum who is looking for Australian graves so if you could check that too. 
The plane is likely to be R1053 as some of the early models had a similar registration which was different from the Sqn identifier ie KO-Q (Queenie).  I might check this out with that forum to find out more if you are interested.
Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor