Author Topic: Hazelwood in the Forest of Duffield book  (Read 10510 times)

Offline martync

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hazelwood in the Forest of Duffield book
« Reply #18 on: Monday 25 February 08 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Could you tell me if there is any mention of an Allen family in your book? My ancestor Joseph was born in Hazelwood about 1774 & the family later moved to Duffield

Many thanks

Hi

There is a Thomas Allen mentioned in the "Award of the Inclosure Comissioners in 1791, Showing Ancient Inclosures and Allotments in Chevin and Belper Wards of Duffield Forest." The Entries say he was awarded Ancient Inclosures A.1 R. 0 P. 28 Allotments A.0 R.0 P. 35 Total A.2 R.1 P.23 I have not quite worked out what these mean yet when I have a chance I'll read around the table and see if it gives more information.

He is also mentioned as paying £1/2/11 in rates.

Is Thomas liable to be linked to your Allens?

All the best,
Martyn
Collier - Leicestershire
Healy - Leicestershire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Dublin
Clay - Leicestershire, Northamptonshire
Swift - Leicestershire, Derbyshire
Walker - Isle of Man, Glasgow
Akins - Liverpool, Ireland
Bowers - Co. Down, Ireland & Liverpool

Offline brix1961

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 25 February 08 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, Martyn. I have heard of a Thomas Allen before, would like to think he is the previous generation but will have to investigate further. Anything else you come up with would be interesting, but I know it's a long time ago.
Allen-Notts & Derbys
Moore- Notts & Derbys
Holmes- Notts
Harris- Notts

Offline scouse_mouse_2000uk

• RootsChat Senior
  • G Grandparent's Lewis
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 22 March 08 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi if you come accross the name Powlson, they could be connected to me. I have a Stephen Powlson born about 1811 in Duffield. There are others, but he is the furtherst I have found. With thanx, Lynn
I am researching the following names.....Owen/s-Holyhead, Rimmer/Lewis-West Derby, Wood/s/Hayter-Toxteth

Offline martync

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 22 March 08 19:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lynn,
Sorry I have done a search through the book and not found any Powlsons in the book.
All the best with your searches,
Martyn
Collier - Leicestershire

Offline scouse_mouse_2000uk

• RootsChat Senior
  • G Grandparent's Lewis
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 22 March 08 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Martyn, thanx for looking you are a star. Lynn
I am researching the following names.....Owen/s-Holyhead, Rimmer/Lewis-West Derby, Wood/s/Hayter-Toxteth

Offline coletteyork

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 16 October 08 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hello  Martin , I was surfing the net  looking for LMS info, there is to be a book out called Railway Ancestors and I was looking into  buying a copy for my father and found you.I am Colette York ( nee Swift ) the great Grandaughter of Herbert Swift who wrote the book you are  interested in (  I have a copy)My father Colin Swift , my Aunt Aileen and their  cousin Susan and myself have kept up the family tree researched by Herbert  when he retired, Susan employed a researcher who traced our family back to 1590.  I have quite a bit of information about the family and photo's including letter written to Anthony Swift  ( your ancestor?) by the Director's of The LMS during the 1911 & 1926 General Strikes.  I assume you are a descendant of this  Gt Gt Uncle "Tant" ( died 26.05.38) who married Catherine Land. I understand my fathers Aunt Dorothy  lodged with his family while attending Tewkesbury High School, I have a drawing by her in my home. After living in Sussex for 11 years we located back to Nottinghamshire 2 years ago , and hope to spend more time on all parts of my family tree , now my children have left home. Most of our branch is well documented , my father was recently in touch with the Ollerenshaw family descended from Sarah Ann Swift  Tant's sister. The only loose end seems to be Tants Aunt Sarah 17.08.1813-11.07.1845 who marreid a man called William Sim/ms and  is buried in Pine Creek   Salem Fulton Arkansas USA , I  tried to find information about her - posting on USA family tree websites a few years ago but was unsuccesful. Anyway if you are interested in having copies of any information I have - let me know via this site
Best wishes
Colette

Offline martync

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 18 October 08 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Colette,

It would be great to get in contact, I have sent you a private message. I am a Great Grandson of Arthur Swift, Herbert's youngest brother. You have got much further back in the Family history than I have I got stuck going further back than Herberts Grandfather.

Best regards,
Martyn
Collier - Leicestershire

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 18 October 08 09:10 BST (UK) »
Martyn, are Bacon's mentioned in the book, they were nail makers?. Thank You,  Bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline coletteyork

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 18 October 08 12:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the e-mail  I will gladly send you copies of any information I have ,  it would be easiest for me to scan my copies and send to you by post. However I also write for the Mass Observation Archive and am busy doing my work for that at present ( funnily enough- this  current subject is Family History!) aside from my paid employment! and am going on holiday soon. After that I will endeavour to sort through my Swift papers and send you copies. my email is colette.york@btinternet.com if you wish to contact me .
regards
Colette