Author Topic: Law family, West Melton  (Read 1929 times)

Offline jsm

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Law family, West Melton
« on: Tuesday 23 May 06 20:32 BST (UK) »
I've not been doing this very long, and have got stuck!  There seem to be various branches of the Law family - can anyone help me sort them out?  I can trace my branch back to  Ellias Law, born 1806 in Scholes, married Martha Russel from West Melton and then no further.  Any help appreciated. 
howse
law
pickering
dobson

Offline Doodle

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Law family, West Melton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi jsm

Where is the last time you have them ?

What kind of help do you require ?

Doodle

Hall - Yorkshire, Fleetwood-Barnsley, Smith- Ecclesfield, Davy-Tankersley,Wilson-Sheffield, Holden Thurlstone, Lockwood-Kent,Thorpe- Brierley & Wakefield, Stansfield Yorkshire ? Adshead- Lancashire, Carr Nottingham, Roberts Misson & Mexborough Thorpe- Nottingham,
Holyland-Leicester, Morgan-Sunderland
Myers -Hanover Germany, Tilson -Leicester, Carter Northampton,

Offline jsm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Doodle,

I can find Ellias Law (1806 - 1883) on the censuses, but can find no record of  any siblings of his or whatever.   I'd like to be able to trace my family backwards from him, but don't quite know how to go on from here.  I live in the south-east, so it's a long way to go to Yorkshire to look at archives. 
howse
law
pickering
dobson

Offline Doodle

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi jsm

Do you have his baptism ?
Would you like some one to look it up in Scholes, but as I  believe there is only going to be less than a dozen houses there in around 1806
 Thorpe Hesley is the nearest villiage, then probably Tankersley St Peters, Ecclesfield, or Rotherham 
You say you have him on the censuses, who was he living with ?
Maybe he can be found through them.
Where is he buried ? Is there anyone elce in the grave with him ?

Doodle
Hall - Yorkshire, Fleetwood-Barnsley, Smith- Ecclesfield, Davy-Tankersley,Wilson-Sheffield, Holden Thurlstone, Lockwood-Kent,Thorpe- Brierley & Wakefield, Stansfield Yorkshire ? Adshead- Lancashire, Carr Nottingham, Roberts Misson & Mexborough Thorpe- Nottingham,
Holyland-Leicester, Morgan-Sunderland
Myers -Hanover Germany, Tilson -Leicester, Carter Northampton,

Offline jsm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 June 06 09:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the huge delay in replying - been away, been ill, am now back in action.

The info I have so far on Ellias Law is that in 1841 he was living with his wife Martha, children Jane, MaryAnne, Harriott, Charles, Henry and Vara in West Melton.  1861 he was living with his wife Martha, son Alfred (12) and grandaughter Jane Gray.  In 1871 he was living with Martha, and 1881 living with Amey (another daughter) and her family.  He was married in Wath on 12/12/1826.  I have no record of baptism, don't know about his burial either.  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks very much.
howse
law
pickering
dobson

Offline PatV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 July 06 11:58 BST (UK) »
I have 2 Law people marrying into my family (Cook/e).
Sarah Cooke married Edmund (Edward) Beevers Law in 1877 and Jane/Rebecca married  Francis John Law in 1878. Both around Rotherham.

Get in touch if you're interested in what I have.

PatV
Hepplewhite(Durham Derbys) Cox (Yorks Derbys Beds) Vollans(Yorks) Oates(Yorks) Hay(Scot Derbys) Pendleton(Derbys) Jackson(Lincs) Cook/e(Yorks) Shewster(Scot) Hutton(Durham) Hutchinson(Derbys)Sawford(Beds) Firth(Yorks) Ogden(Sheffield)Richardson(Lincs)Hesselgrave(Yorks)

Offline jsm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 November 06 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pat,

I went to West Melton a couple of weeks ago, and found the gravestone for Edmund Law, Francis John, Sarah Cooke and Jane.  All on the same stone, although the sexton tells me only 2 of them are actually buried there - the others are elsewhere in the graveyard.  Let me know if you're interested.

Regards,
jsm
howse
law
pickering
dobson

Offline PatV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 November 06 03:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes please.
Strange they're in the same grave.
I would be grateful for anything ........... even photo if possible.
Which Church by the way?
PatV

Hepplewhite(Durham Derbys) Cox (Yorks Derbys Beds) Vollans(Yorks) Oates(Yorks) Hay(Scot Derbys) Pendleton(Derbys) Jackson(Lincs) Cook/e(Yorks) Shewster(Scot) Hutton(Durham) Hutchinson(Derbys)Sawford(Beds) Firth(Yorks) Ogden(Sheffield)Richardson(Lincs)Hesselgrave(Yorks)