Author Topic: Names of allied soldiers Netherlands  (Read 766 times)

Offline TreeDigger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Lioessens church 12th/tower 15th century
    • View Profile
Names of allied soldiers Netherlands
« on: Tuesday 23 May 06 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi all.

I started snooping around and found some information which I hope might be of use to somebody. I'm not sure whether the men mentioned are either USA, UK or Canada, but still ... thought I might post it anyways. It concerns descriptions of pictures which are in the Frisian archives. I can get the pictures if people want them.

*Partial crew from allied plane (Halifax 8A-P?) shot down over the IJsselmeer 15 Oct 1944 (crew went into hiding for a year at Gaastermeer):

Bill McGECHIE - William 'Bill' TAYLOR - Jimmy A. HORWOOD - Jack CAMPBELL

Other crewmembers were Harold Leonard FERGUSON and Alf SPRINGGATE

2 or 3 pics available from archives

*Memorial stone of the crew of an allied plane shot down 17 Dec 1942 between Balk and Woudsend, Fryslân:

M.A. NIAS - J.G. DENNING - J. CALLAN - L.G. POWELL -  W.Mc.B.J. STARK -  E. CROAL - G.B. WILKINSON

Stone might still be in existence.

This is American, but who knows who might be able to use it:

* Anthony 'Tony' DE BENEDICTUS pilot of US B17 shot down over Earnewâld, Fyrslân on 8 March 1944; can possibly get more info and picture

Will order the list of graves of allied soldiers burried in Fryslân so it's easier to look up names.

Regards,

Kya Milo
Fryslân (Friesland)
The Netherlands
Haycock (Liverpool, Wolverhampton, Oswestry); Rosewell (Shepperton); Wales/Whales (Thanet, Kent); Daborn (Chobham, Horsell); Prince and Powell (Liverpool area); Maxted and She(e)pwashe (Kent); Milo/Millot (France, Holland, England); genealogical research project on links to ancient Frisian aristocracy (Hofstra-Fynia-Tania). It keeps me off the streets ;)

Twenty years on this forum!