Author Topic: My eyes are going! I can't find this person at all  (Read 1836 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
My eyes are going! I can't find this person at all
« on: Tuesday 23 May 06 21:06 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help a poor nearly blind woman to find her Great Grandfather in the 1891 census please?  I say nearly blind as my eyes are gone! I have looked and looked for this man and cannot find him anywhere so I need a fresh pair of eyes willing to help me by looking through the 1891 census

Here are the details I have so far

William Richard Thomas born 1860 Llanbedrgoch, Anglesey

Parents - William Thomas 1817 Llanbedrgoch & Ann 1823 Llanfair Mathafarn Eithaf, Anglesey

1861 census: living at 5 Red Wharf Cottages with parents and siblings. Born in Llanbedrgoch

1871 census: living at 2 Glan y Don, Llanfair is Gaer, Caernarfon with parents and siblings. Scholar. Born in Llanbedrgoch

1881 census: living at Glanrafon 3 Salmons Public House, Bangor with mother Ann and siblings. aged 20 R.N. Reserve. Born in Llanfair, Anglesey.

1901 census: living at Stamps, Llanberis, Caernarfonshire with wife Elizabeth and 4 children. Aged 37. Railway Labourer in Slate Quarry. Born in Holyhead, Anglesey

~~~~~~~~-------------------

A marriage cert my Dad got for William and Elizabeth states the following:

9th March 1893, Caernarfon

William Thomas, 24 years, Bachelor, Seaman, 10 Eleanor Street, Caernarfon, Father William Thomas (seaman) deceased

Elizabeth Williams, 21 years, Spinster, 2 Palace Street, Caernarfon, Father John Williams (Slate Insurer) deceased

~~~~~~~~-------------------

Now the story goes that Elizabeth worked in a pub in Caernarfon and this is where William met her. Also that Elizabeth already had a daughter before she married and we think the name is Lizzie Jane though we have no date of birth for her

I know he was a Master Mariner as I have a record of a ship he worked on and left in San Fransisco in 1885

So I am hoping there is someone out there willing to help a woman who is close to craziness with the search for this man.

Thanks in advance

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline tony h

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Dad
    • View Profile
Re: My eyes are going! I can't find this person at all
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 21:25 BST (UK) »
Sorry, i'm absolutely no use use to you :( I know Griffith's much further east in Manchester- in the 19 thirties. BUT what a fabulous website you've got, pay a visit everybody  :)

good luck
Tony
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

tony h    1953 - 2011

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gorton Monastery Manchester

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

I've had a quick look. The nearest I could get was a Richard Thomas b.c 1866 Anglesea (sic) Pentraeth in Weston/Runcorn RG12/2833/158/page 45. He was a labourer - ship canal.

Other than that - could he have been at sea:

http://www.gendocs.demon.co.uk/census2.html

He might even have been on a boat in port in Scotland/Isle of Man, etc.

I'll keep looking  ::)  8)  ::)

Gadget

PS was he single on the marriage cert - there are one or two Williams who are married?
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 23:36 BST (UK) »
I was hoping to be able to find him on the Vessels but don't know how to pull out the images for them.

According to the cert he was a bachelor and we don't know about any other children that may or not be floating about (woman in every port as they say lol)

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 23:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony

Just going to check our Griffiths and see if any went to Manchester area

I know they went to Liverpool but I might find something. Do you have links to the Manchester ones?

Carol

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 23:52 BST (UK) »
Just checked and the closest they come to Manchester is Wallasey. Mind you one did move to Blackpool and died here in 1959. Don't know where he is buried or I would make a trip to find him.

The strangest thing was that when we had the C & W club there was one guy called Alfred Griffiths. He said his family were from South Wales though he was born in Blackpool. He died last year and just after was when I got the info about one of my rellies dying and being buried here. How strange would that be if it was his father who was related to me. Alfred's son lives over in the states though so no chance of asking him for any names

Carol