Author Topic: CHURCH RECORDS  (Read 11270 times)

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
CHURCH RECORDS
« on: Tuesday 23 May 06 23:16 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me with a difficult situation.  I dont want to say who or exactly where, but ......In  February I found out the date of my GGGrandparents marriage and delighted I could ask the church in question for a marriage certificate.  I was told it would cost 10 euros and in cash also a bit for post.  As I had euros left over from a trip I posted 20 and asked for it to be sent on to me.  I heard nothing for 8 weeks, so sent off another letter, asking if they had recieved the first letter, this was 4 weeks ago and still not reply !!

Does anyone have any advice as to what to do next, I have tried calling but get no reply - desperate for the cert and it will get me over a very old brick wall and give me names i need  - any help or advice appreciated

Carol
O'GRADY - DUBLIN,TIPPERARY,& ENGLAND
DOOLEY - TIPPERARY, CO LAOIS
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
HARRIS- CLARE, CORK, & ENGLAND
BLANEY, DOYLE FURLONG -  WEXFORD
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: CHURCH RECORDS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hiya Carol,

I have sent you a PM here. Your letter containing €20 appears to have been lost in in the post.
A lot of information is being posted to me as I omitted to get your address .. I mentioned that in the PM.

All the Best, Chris 

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Christopher

I am over the moon with what you have done for me, how you have managed to get the information you have in a few day (and I have been trying for 12 weeks!!) - I am just grinning from ear to ear !  Thank you so very much for your kindness and invaluable help. I will keep my fingers crossed that she sends the marriage cert for John and Catherine and that I can see one or the others parents name - still grinning

Carol
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 16:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Christopher

I am over the moon with what you have done for me, how you have managed to get the information you have in a few day (and I have been trying for 12 weeks!!) - I am just grinning from ear to ear !  Thank you so very much for your kindness and invaluable help. I will keep my fingers crossed that she sends the marriage cert for John and Catherine and that I can see one or the others parents name - still grinning

Carol

Hi Carol,

Wait till you get the information. I hope I may have a quick look before I reseal the envelope to forward to you. I have just left a message telling the folks in Clare you require the marriage cert too. Keep your eye open for the post man and lets hope the correspondence does not get lost in the post :D

Carol, is your name down for either of the RootsChats meets in Ireland :D There's one in Belfast at the end of July this year and one in Dublin next summer. You might get loads more assistance and information if you come to Ireland. 

All the Best, Chris

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Christopher

I know, I need to calm down, but cant help it !  of course you can take a look be my guest !

I do intend to visit Ireland next year, I have to catch up on relatives that I havn't seen for a couple of years, my last visit being a funeral.  I am hoping to go to Wexford and Clare as well as Dublin.  I am not sure when I will be able to go, but do hope it will be the summer.  Still grinning

Carol
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 June 06 08:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Quite pleased for you that you got a help from this nice gentleman Christopher!

Glad you are happy that you finally have a piece of information on your GGGrandparents' marriage.

I have a bad experience in remitting a written request along with 10 euro note to a church in Kilrush, Co. Clare.

Never heard from them since last Spring. I already write it off as a lesson. It is not easy to find a cheap Euro money order over here.

It will be a while before I go back home and I will give it another go by going to Kilrush myself.

To this date, I had lost 20 euros in the post.

I think it is not safe to post any money to Eire now unless you conceal it well.

Eire is not what it used to be--I guess because of the Celtic Tiger economy they are having now.

Happy for you!

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 June 06 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Tees

Thanks for the interest in my problem.  Knowing that someone else has had this same problem does help in a sorry sort of way, at least I know I am not the only one.

Good luck

Carol
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 08 June 06 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

You are more than welcome! That was why I decide to share my experience with you.

So you know you are not the only one who experience the loss of payment in the post.

Wish you the best of luck in your endeavours to find more about your Irish family history.

Kind regards,

Tees

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 June 06 20:09 BST (UK) »
Hiya Carol and Tees,

Are you discussing the same church? Maybe the postal service is bad. I have three sheets of paper for Carol. One is the church letter head. Should I keep that .. No I have made a note of the details there in my diary in case other people would like me to contact the priest or the Parish Secretary. I found her extremely pleasant over the phone.

The second sheet of paper is the entry in the registry of the marriage. and the third sheet is a typewritten list of their children and their dates of birth. I am not sure about the actual marriage certificate Carol. is that available at the church? That surprises me .. I thought copies of the actual certificate came from the General Records Office.

Best Wishes, Christopher