Author Topic: CHURCH RECORDS  (Read 11271 times)

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CHURCH RECORDS
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 June 06 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Christopher

thanks for the mail, was thinking about this today and wondered if you had received anything yet.  The thing is I thought that the Regtister office only had marriage certs for dates after 1864, I dont yet know the exact date of marriage as I have the first childs birth as 1865 (Frederick Harris) - if in fact he was the first born as there are 3 names I have yet to find.  Childrens names I have are John (my GGGrandfather), Frederick, George, James, Michael, William, Francis, Joseph (3 to find), who could or could not have been born before Frederick.  So do you think I am asking the wrong people for the marriage certificate of John Harris snr and Catherine Melican ? The reason for the marriage cert is to find out their parents names, as I have not had any luck with their birth certs. 

I dont know if myself and Tees are talking about the same church, but think this is quite possible, as I havn't come across another RC in Kilrush.  I think you are right about the postal service, maybe I should make a complaint, dont know how far it would get us poor trusting souls, but may be its worth a try, even if it protects future hopefulls in obtaining certs.  Whats the world come too ?

Ok I rambling again, just getting excited at the thought of what you have for me, do I get names that I have missing ? and is there any clue to the parents names of John Harris and Catherine Melican ?

Thanks for everything Christopher

Carol
O'GRADY - DUBLIN,TIPPERARY,& ENGLAND
DOOLEY - TIPPERARY, CO LAOIS
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
HARRIS- CLARE, CORK, & ENGLAND
BLANEY, DOYLE FURLONG -  WEXFORD
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 08 June 06 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hiya Carol,

The children's names and birthdates ...
John 30th July 1865
Pat Martin 18th October 1866
Michael 29th March 1868
James 6th December 1869
George Henry 9th March 1871
William 25th May 1873
William Joe 28th February 1875
James 30th January 1877
Fred David 7th February 1879
Joe 12th March 1881
Francis 11th April 1883

You have a lot of Hartneys on the list for good measure
as well as a couple of Hartigans, a Hartey and a Harney

Best Wishes, Christopher   

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 June 06 08:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher,

No, Carol and I were not talking about the same church--just talked about the similar problem with the posting money to the church(es) and never hear from them again.

One in Kilrush, Co. Clare and other in Carrignamaggy (sp?), Co. Cork. I never heard from them nor that they got my letters. I made a complaint with Diocese of Cloyne in Cork about this issue. They put me in touch with a priest of very parish church I was after but never hear from him again. So much for 20 euros into a drain. :) (10 euros per church)

Hence the reason for using the Mallow Heritage Centre now--I just get a word of advice from other Rootschatter that it is quite expensive. Ach! What dilemma I am putting me in!  ::)

Have not heard anything from the MHC yet...it seems they do not get my E-mails nor confirm that they are working on my request.

Anyway, my posting was to cheer for Carol's happy endings with a nice help from you! That is very reason for putting a bit of word on this topic.

Cheers,

Tees

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 09 June 06 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher

Thanks very much for the information, I finally got to know the three names of Harris boys that have been missing for years.  The three that were missing never appeared on the 1901 census and although I had LDS information and naval registrations for most of them, the three were always a mystery.  I knew that they had died before 1911, as the census stated how many children were born, and how many were still living.  It is strange to think that they named new children after ones that had died though, although I always suspected this to be the case.  I am delighted to find this out.  I am looking forward to the mail.

Did the nice lady you spoke to give any indication of whether they wanted payment, and or if the marriage cert could be obtained.  The registry office in Ennis told me that the church was where I could obtain it (this was after I had applied to them in the first case)  Thanks again, dont know where I would have turned !

Carol
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 July 06 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher

thought I would give you an update on my "chruch Records" situation.

I wrote off to them again asking for a copy of the marriage cert for John and Catherine, I enclose £10 and sent it recorded delivery this time.   I received a letter this morning telling me the nice lady you spoke to was on holiday and a lady called Avril was looking after stuff for her while she was away, then the "blow", she said according to their PP there was no recording on marriage certificates of the parents and advised me to try and find certs for John and try and trace records through his family, even though it is Catherine (melican) that I was interested in !!!!  but to top it all, she never sent me a copy of the cert, just this explanation !!  So back to thinking this all sound a bit "craggy island" again.  I will write back tomorrow and ask if I can have a copy anyway being as I have sent the money for it !!  This is starting to crack me up now ! I can just picture it - she asks PP question, he replies - Oh I dunno, just tell her we dont record any names on certs !  When will it ever end ?

So back to the drawing board, the reason I could not get through on the phone, I was using the wrong code !  So Chris just thought I would let you know the outcome of it all, at least I got the missing boys names thanks to you.  I will let you know the next episode

Take care

Carol
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

Offline Taidquest

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Quo Fata Vocant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 October 06 20:39 BST (UK) »
hi carol,I realise this was an old post from you but I was
wondering if you ever resolved your problem with the missing money plus the
'assistant' telling you that parents names were not recorded on marriage certs.but they would be recorded on the church register which is surely where she should have checked,assuming the marriage did take place there.usually once you have the marriage entry you would then ask for the other details from the register.
                                    regards.anne
<br />UK Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchive

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 October 06 23:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Taid

thanks for the message.  Although it has been a while since my mind could handle this episode of my research, I am glad you gave me a nudge.  I havn't done anything about it since as I found it very frustrating !!!   I have been waiting for the nice lady that Christopher spoke to on my behalf to return to work as I feel this is the only way I would get any sense !  I believe her stand in asked the PP for information and that the parish registers were not in fact looked at.  At the very least I would have expected the names of witnesses to the marriage !  So as we are now in October I think the nice lady would be back off her summer break so will give her a call tomorrow and let you know the outcome.  Thanks for the wake up call !

Also trying to find my Kavanaghs of Dublin by the way !

Carol
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

Offline Taidquest

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Quo Fata Vocant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 October 06 04:51 BST (UK) »
hi carol,hope you get more info' this time,the usual being at least the fathers names and sometimes mothers names too and an address for parents would be nice too eh?
I had noticed kavanagh in dublin among your interests,mine were my grandmother and her parents,john and esther and daughters mary and christine plus son gerard.one of the great g'parents may have been born in england,I know at least my gran mary was said to have been born in derby.
what are the first names of your dublin kavanagh family?
                                                                                           regards.anne
<br />UK Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchive