Author Topic: Neilson family of Slamannan, Shieldhill & Falkirk  (Read 5567 times)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Neilson family of Slamannan, Shieldhill & Falkirk
« on: Tuesday 23 May 06 23:21 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information on the tenancy of Boxton (or Boagston) Farm in Slamannan. 

I believe that the farm is on land that belonged to the Earl of Zetland and that the Neilson family were tenant farmers there from the 1600s through to the early/mid-1800s.

The 1904 obituary of William Wood Neilson, who was the Baillie of Falkirk, makes mention that his great grandfather, John Neilson, was 'laird of the lands of Boagstoun'.

The 'laird's' grandson James Neilson was born at Boxton farm in 1809, although it is known that some of James' siblings were born at Greenwells Farm in Shieldhill, so it is possible that the family moved from Slamannan to Shieldhill around this time.

I asked Falkirk Museum for assistance but they were unable to help due to other commitments!

I wonder whether anyone might have any information about the tenancy of Boxton farm and the origins of this Neilson family?

Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline bairnj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Neilson family of Slamannan, Shieldhill & Falkirk
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi there, I saw your message and thought I would reply.  My mother in law belongs to Limerigg just outside Slamannan so I called her to see if she could tell me about Burials at Boxton Farm.

She said that years ago the neighbouring village of Avonbridge was separated into three sections, each section having a different burial ground, Boxton did however fall into Slamannan.  But there is also Muiravonside Cemetery and Craigbank Cemetery, Bathgate.

With regard to Boxton Farm, around the 1930s my mum in laws family, cousins actually lived Boxton Farm - she remembers vividly growing up there. 

I have ony just discovered the Council Archives dept at Callander House, only yesterday infact - so if there is anything I can try to look out for you, please just ask. 

I only live a few minutes from Camelon Cemetery Office and can easily access the area around to obtain pictures if you want.  Will hopefully speak to you soon.

Gillian

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillian,

I've sent you a PM.

Go to the very top of the page and click beside your user name to access messages.

Anne.

P.S. I've replied to your other message on Ancestry!

Offline jelb

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 11:07 BST (UK) »
I have taken notes from a newspaper cutting of my mother's which states that the forebears of William Wood Neilson farmed Greenwells Farm near Falkirk (under Lord Zetland) from the beginning of the seventeenth century and Shieldhill Lands (under the Duke of Hamilton).

I know that papers regarding the Dundas Family (Marquesses of Zetland) are held in the Scottish Archives (I have a reference number).  There are also some estate papers for Scotland (Stirlingshire etc c 1751-1813...) held at the North Yorkshire County Records Office.

The Douglas family (Dukes of Hamilton) have estate papers also in the National Archives (I have a reference code for these too).

Having a look at these sources is on my "to do list" and has been for a number of years!

I don't know if this is of any help.

JELB