Author Topic: Advice sort.  (Read 659 times)

Offline dudjac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Advice sort.
« on: Wednesday 24 May 06 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Hope this isn't to serious for 'the lighter side'  but I am not sure where else I can post it.

I have a relly that died in 1843 and in his will he left a piece of land "that was given to my father by the Earl of Ilchester" to his sons.

Going by the dates of the father (1728-1812) I assume this must have been the 2nd Earl of Ilchester, Thomas Fox-Strangeways.

As far as I am aware my rellies were only farm workers or woodsman so why should the Earl of Ilchester give him land and would there be a written record of this.

Any remarks or advice would be appreciated.

dudjac.

Jacobs- Dorset
Parsons- Wiltshire.
Masons- Farnham Surrey
Johns-  Soho London

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advice sort.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 20:24 BST (UK) »
Land could only be transferred by means of a written indenture. There is no central record of such - you might come across it by miracle. There are hundreds of such "deeds" being sold all the time on eBay.  8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi dudjac

You could try having a look at Access to Archives. I put in earl of ilchester and got 65 hits:

www.a2a.org.uk

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline dudjac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 20:31 BST (UK) »
Thankyou both for your help
Jacobs- Dorset
Parsons- Wiltshire.
Masons- Farnham Surrey
Johns-  Soho London