Author Topic: Advice on how to find Grandad please Builth/ Newtown  (Read 3348 times)

Offline FANDANGO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Advice on how to find Grandad please Builth/ Newtown
« on: Wednesday 24 May 06 21:37 BST (UK) »
I have very little info on my Jones family my Grandfathers name was Alfred Jones born circa 1883 in the Builth /Newtown area of Wales, no parents names known all i know is that he had a brother called Arthur born circa 1875, and poss two other brothers, how do you find someone with so little info,

fandango

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on how to find Grandad please Builth/ Newtown
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 21:57 BST (UK) »
If you get hold of your grandfather's marriage cert, it will give his father's name and occupation, which will add another piece of info to look for on census - every little helps with a name like Jones!

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SueTeakle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 May 06 21:58 BST (UK) »
I think this is a VERY long shot but there is this family in 1891:-

David Jones, 39, Railway Engine Fitter, Born Builth, Breconshire
Jane Jones, 34, Born Nailsea, Somerset
William Jones, 13, Scholar, Born Builth
Elizabeth Jones, 12, Born Builth
Alfred Jones, 11, Scholar, Born Builth
John Jones, 10, Scholar, Born Builth
Sarah Jones, 4, Scholar, Born Builth
Ernest Jones, 2, Born Builth
Robert Edwards, Lodger, 46, Gen. Lab.,  Born Llangollen, Denbigh
Henry Leonard, Lodger, Gen. Lab.,  Born Kingston St Michael, Hereford

Living at Oakland Cottages, Builth, Breconshire

RG12/4567  Folio 79  Page 13
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline FANDANGO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 May 06 10:58 BST (UK) »
sorry should of explained, grandad never married gran so no clues with a marr cert, thanks for tip any way,
fandango

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 May 06 12:38 BST (UK) »
That's a nuisance!  Have you found him on the 1901 census?  If not, do you know what his occupation was, as by then he was probably working?

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline FANDANGO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 May 06 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi all i know is on his death cert he is described as a farm labourer he died in 1951 and as far as i know was all-ways involved with farms and horses, as he moved around a lot im not convinced he would even be on census, roll on the 1910 census i might get more luck.
fandango

Offline Lindsey G

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 15:33 GMT (UK) »
I have very little info on my Jones family my Grandfathers name was Alfred Jones born circa 1883 in the Builth /Newtown area of Wales, no parents names known all i know is that he had a brother called Arthur born circa 1875, and poss two other brothers, how do you find someone with so little info,

fandango

Hi,
I am currently trying to unravel what might be this same Jones family tree. I am the great grand-daughter of Llewellyn Jones b. abt 1880, Graig Trewyddfa, Glamorgan. I believe he may be the son of John and Harriet Jones but this needs to be properly confirmed.

Llewellyn married a Mary Jane Warner around the turn of the last century and they had 10 children that we know of. One of those children, Byron, was my grandfather. The others are as follows:

Albert Jones b. not known
Esther Jones b. not known
Leonard Jones b. not known
Sidney Jones b. not known
Harriet Ann Jones 1901 – 1975
William Jones 1905 –
Byron Jones 1909 – 1979
Ila Martin Jones 1917 – 1986
Alma May Jones 1920 –
Eileen Mary Jones 1923 – 2002

The reason why we believe Llewellyn to be the son of John and Harriet Jones is mainly though the continuation of the first names of Harriet and Byron through onto his own children. The Warner family were based in the Builth area listed as hawkers and sweeps and were 'roadside tenting' on most of the Census returns. Llewellyn and Mary Anne (Polly) were definitely in the Pontesbury area of Shropshire at the turn of the century .. in fact, family oral history states that his daughter, Harriet Ann, was born here in 1901. Mary Anne and Llewellyn later permanently settled in Builth. We also know that Llewellyn was involved in horse trading and for short while some colliery work.

It would be nice to confirm that 'my' Llewellyn was indeed the son of John and Harriet but a message on the RomanyJib site stated that:

'Mr Thompson quotes also from his manuscripts as follows
Mrs Leather says John and Harriet had 15 children including
1 Arthur who married as his second wife Lina Lock ( who was a Bishop) daughter of Sebra I saw this man at Monkland and he was Mato. he is 40 or 45
2Llewellyn who married Sarah Albert whose great grandmother, Lidi Florence lived to be 101
3 Annie)
4Lottie these two girls who married two brothers Bennett now house dwellers
5Alfred who sang four beautiful folk songs in the Dorian manner to Dr vaughan Williams and myself...'

If this is true, that this Llewellyn married a Sarah Albert, then this will mean that 'my' Llewellyn is from a different Jones family. The presence of the Byron and Harriet family names though still causes problems!

Will be very interested to make contact and to swap notes!

Lindsey (nee Jones)

Offline Colin D Gronow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member of the Association of Graveyard Rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 January 13 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi all i know is on his death cert he is described as a farm labourer he died in 1951

Do you know where he died?

Offline Fayej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 September 23 23:06 BST (UK) »
Alfred was my great grandfather son of Harriet and John Jones.