Author Topic: Maidenhead Schools  (Read 127280 times)

Offline imogen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Maidenhead Schools
« Reply #153 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 18:07 BST (UK) »
hello again lesanne
yes mrs stevens was there when i was and miss westlake took over just before i left was miss gill the frengh teacher there when you were she was there a good number of years.i attended sybil bennetdance school on the bath road i went there every day after school.la roach had some very good dancers did you know marion astell she was one of there stars and ethel bull who i believe took the school over its great to reminisce hope i am not prattling on to much. was it abiam who had the interest in east street school

Offline Lesanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Imogen,
I really can't find the names anymore...  :-[  Our school badge though...
  I remember my Dr Machonichie (I think that's the spelling) he would call it a SWOOSE....  ;D

When it rained once, all the staircase was like a waterfall. It flooded the dining area. Ah, yes, it was a lovely old house.
 I must see who lived there before.   :D

Lesanne.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Berks Bucks Oxon= Norris Coxhead Turner Cox Weston Baston Simpson
Kent= Nicholls Mepstead Watts   Mile End=Craze Wood Bennett
Cork=Howe   NZ=Coxhead   Canada=Fenn Cox Turner

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Imogen and Lesanne,

Did either of you go to Health and Beauty?  The classes were held at St Lukes School on the Cookham Road.  Black satin knickers and a white satin top with a small badge showing a dainty young lady in an athletic pose!  I don't remember lasting very long. 

I also remember going to Sunday School at Burberry Hall in St Marks Road and also the Brownies in the hall next door.  You've got me going now!  There was the St Lukes Church youth club in the church hall next door and I learnt ballroom dancing at the Masonic Hall. 

Oh, another - I trained as a Red Cross Cadet at a funny little hall in the Crescent.  And we did the trolley service on a Sunday afternoon at the old Maidenhead hospital serving the patients with toiletries, sweets  etc.  We were given afternoon tea by the matron as a reward.

School was the County Girls School at the bottom of Castle Hill and we went to the Friday Club in Brock Lane.
Does anyone remember these places?

Abiam

Offline Lesanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Abiam,
Yes, remember all those places.
I went to the St Lukes youth club.
And the hospital, usually as a patient.
Often in the  emergency room though, it was all red and white. The seats were slatted benches and the floor was big red quarry tiles.... I wonder why..  ;D  :o
 A room off that was observation beds... I remember being in there and yelling "I'm in here" when I heard my dad arrive...

Now, I believe, Wexham is the nearest...  :(  although, I did a run over to High Wycombe casualty with my daughter, when we were 'at home' one time.

Lesanne...  8)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Sunday 07 June 09 09:08 BST (UK) »
Just browsing this morning!

I remember having my appendix removed at the old Maidenhead hospital in about 1950.  I wrote a letter to my dad telling him that I had had my "uppendigs" removed.  He carried it in his wallet for years I can still see it in my mind.  But like lots of things it disappeared.   

And I can still remember having something put over my face and being told to breathe deeply.  It was horrible!  The children's ward was called thr William Thomas ward.  I was in that hospital several times in the early fifties enough to earn me an invite to a couple of the Christmas parties.

The regime was very strict and I remember two of us getting into real trouble when we managed to get into the bandage cupboard!  Matron was not amused to find two small "mummies" wrapped in her bandages.  In those days they were washed and rewound and some poor night nurse would have had to rewind them.

Does anyone else remember being an in patient there? 

Abiam

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Sunday 07 June 09 10:16 BST (UK) »
Yes, had a kidney removed there when I was 11 (1956).  I just recall it being pretty basic compared to today, but some very friendly nurses.
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Sunday 07 June 09 12:15 BST (UK) »
That sounds much more dangerous than my "uppendigs"!  But I think the anaesthetic was the dodgy bit,
Abiam

Offline Lesanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Monday 27 July 09 15:29 BST (UK) »
           :o  I can't find it.......  :P

Offline Karvan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Sunday 06 September 09 18:52 BST (UK) »
I've just been reading through all the postings in this thread! I asked a while ago about my grandmother Ethel Gilroy who became Ethel Hodgson and then Ethel Evans and the schools she might have taught at. As I said before I know she taught at Holy Trinity in Cookham from 1917 to 1944. I've tried looking at the teachers registration online but found nothing.
Anyway, since my last posting I have seen the family on the 1911 census and they were still living in Queen St and Ethel was 24yrs old and a teacher at the Church of England school!  I was wondering what school it would have been?? Was St. Lukes formerly East St??? :-\
O'Hara, Maguire, McGrath