Author Topic: Maidenhead Schools  (Read 127324 times)

Offline weebird

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maidenhead Schools
« Reply #63 on: Saturday 02 February 08 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Thanks very much for that. I used to Live in Stoke row, nr Henley and prior to that Reading born and bred and used to visit Maidenhead weekly for one reason or another. however 5 1/2 years ago, I moved to Scotland and now lots of resources out of reach- now that I've started research- Typical  ::) LOL. On the certificate it says 38 Tyerells buildings, Maidenhead, thats all I know. Anything else you can find will be very much appreciated.
Webi  :)
Sayer- Maidenhead
Symmonds- Maidenhead
Brown - Maidenhead & Pontefract, Yorkshire
Bird- Reading/ Beenham
Hall- Warwickshire, Reading
Webbs- devon
Williams- devon

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 06 June 08 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Old Maidonians,

I received this info today about Tyrell's Buildings.  It is from an email sent to me by Bridget Hole.  She is a well known Maidenhead Historian and author -have a look on Amazon.

"Tyrrell's Buildings were built in about 1843 as barracks for the Life Guards of Windsor while their barracks were being rebuilt; hence 'The Barracks'. The drunken behaviuor of the soldiers was so bad that a pub was built for them inside the building to keep them out of the town. When they went back to Windsor, Tyrrells Buildings was converted to basic accommodation for the industrious poor - as opposed to the unindustrious poor (old or sick) who lived in the workhouse. It had its own chapel, Providence chapel which came under the parish of St. Mary's. Reform Rd and Waldeck Rd. were built by Charles Butler, also as social housing. The Reform Mission Hall - the tin tabernacle - in Waldeck Rd , built 1903, also came under the parish of St. Mary's. In the 1880's, police would only patrol Tyrrells Buildings, Reform Rd and Waldeck Rd, in twos. Norfolk Park estate and Garden Cottages, the first concrete houses in Maidenhead, were built by James Pearce, son of the Maidenhead benefactor J.D.M Pearce, also as social housing. All these homes disappeared in the 1960/70's, except the Providence chapel which continued until 1987 as a shop in the market; Sainsburies is now on the site.
Bridget."

Not very salubrious beginnings for any of us!  I have just dicovered that my G G Grandparents lost twins whilst living there aged just under one and just over one. 

Just remembering, seeing the name Pearce, there was 'The Pearce Hall' I think in Marlow Road.  I think that's where I went for my first grown up New Year's Eve with my parents and their friends!

Regards,
Abiam

Offline Ermyntrude

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Monday 28 July 08 08:36 BST (UK) »
I am new to this site and have read with interest all the information on Tyrrells Buildings and Garden Cottages. I lived in Garden Cottages until 1948 and went to Ellington Park School. My grandmother was born in Tyrells Buildings. Her name was Rose Montague . Her mother remarried after being widowed. She married William Gascoigne. Has anyone any connection with these families please? My mother also lived in Garden Cottages from about 1918 to 1948. Her name was Edith Smith. Her mother remarried after being widowed. She married William Mulford but my mother never took his name.

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Monday 28 July 08 11:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Ermyntrude,
Welcome to Roots Chat!

Our ancestors must have known each other!  I don't know if you have the full census on The Barracks but I've put here. 
I don't see a connection but if you look on the 1861 census for The Barracks
RG09 Piece 754 Folio 60 Page 43.  If you go to next page eventually you will come to the Montague family.  I've started on P 43 as it gives you a good idea of the famiies living there.

My families are P 44 William  and Ann Vincent
                        P 48 Willliam and Emma Harding

I also have several families in Thornton Cottages and Norfolk Park Cottages.  Family names again Vincent and Harding also Wise/Wyse.

I also have my Grandfather living at 21 Garden Cottages on the 1881.

A lot moved to Norfolk Park Cotts later as yours may have done.

I haven't time to check anything else as I am flying to the UK this afternoon to stay with family in MAIDENHEAD!

Hope this helps and maybe we can help each other when I get back (2 weeks)
If you don't have access to the census send me a PM and I will send them when I'm back here,

Regards Abiam

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Monday 28 July 08 11:24 BST (UK) »
You might also like to look at this if you can

Garden Cottages Cookham (Maidenhead)
RG 10  Piece 1292 Folio 66 Pages 44 to 57

Must go!
Abiam

Offline crazythredz

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 31 July 08 20:31 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have just found this group,I used to live in Norfolk Park Cottages in the 50's & 60's.
I am looking for a friend from way back then who used to live on Cordwallis Road I'm not sure if it was number 2 can't remember. Her name was Jane Eaton does anyone know of her whereabouts??

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 13 August 08 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am back in Spain having just spent two weeks in Maidenhead, Berkshire visiting my children and grandchildren and the Berkshire Records Office.  The first two very successful the third somewhat disappointing!  I took Roots chatters advice about my visit and armed with packed lunch, loads of notes, sharpened pencils etc. I was duly dropped off at 9.00am just as they opened.  Everyone was very helpful and I was coping with new (to me) fangled things like fiche and film readers.  After about an hour and a half my back 'went' and the rest of my day was spent in agony as I tried to find the information I was after.  Also a lot of things I wanted to see were not there.   I did think the BRO had everything on Berkshire!
    The chairs at the BRO look as though they are ergonomically designed but are in fact extremely uncomfortable.  They certainly didn't suit my back.  I took the advice of taking a break, getting up, trying to stretch a little and walked across to the BFH and got my Berkshire Burial Index updated.
    Once this had happened I lost my thread as to what I really wanted to find out – such a big disappointment.  The BRO is a great building with every mod. con. and helpful, patient staff. Their only failing for me was the chairs.
    I also visited the Maidenhead Heritage Centre, newly opened in Park Street, and bought a couple of books.  One in particular very interesting to Old Maidonians was called “ARE YOU MARRIED, OR DO YOU LIVE IN MAIDENHEAD?  By Bridget Hole.  This is a who's who of Maidonians and there were many familiar names bringing back so many memories of a happy childhood in the town.  ISBN 0952794713.  A really good book for delving into every so often.
    The rainy weather in the UK was a real treat for me as I am now back in the height of summer and not liking it much!

Regards,
Abiam     
PS Terminal 5 was fabulous!

Offline Ermyntrude

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 13 August 08 10:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you Abiam for your suggestions on finding more about my ancesters in Tyrrells Buildings. Were your family who lived in garden Cottages called Wise. One of my cousins lived in our cottage after we left remembers a family called Wise. She thought they lived near the Palethorpes. We lived at number 86. We moved to Doncaster when I was 6 so I have only few memories of my time there but some are clear. I remember going to the shop at the end of the road with tea coupons and the lady making a cone shaped bag to put some sweets in it . My cousin said it would be Mrs Bond and her shop was in the front room. I remember lots of little frogs in the gardens at the back probably from the dyke. I can remember water coming into the house when it flooded. Some of the families I remember were the Sellars the Hopkins, Heedens,Palethorpes and the Wests.I used to go to Sunday School at the Gospel Hall at the end of the road. On the way to Ellington Park school I seem to remember passing some big houses in a lane and talking to a girl there who was about my age. I think her name was Amanda. I envied her her bunk beds! I know her brother went to boarding school. It was a different world from the one I knew. She came to a birthday party I had but I can't remember going past her front gate!!!  I never got bunk beds but my children did.

Offline Lesanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 13 August 08 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Abiam,
Glad you enjoyed the first part of your visit....  ::)

What is it about BRO.. the staff are helpful and patient, the place is full of indexes.....
What else could we need  ??? It just goes downhill from there  :P  :P

You say lost the thread, some stuff isn't there... let me know what you were looking for and perhaps next time I go  :o  ::) i can get it for you.

Hello Ermyntrude,
Welcome to Rootschat... All very friendly folks here, help out each other if we possibly can.  8)
Looking at your Smith's. I also have Smith's in Garden Cottages. Mine originally from Risbough/Wycombe, how they got to Garden Cotts... working on that one...  :-\  ;D

Best wishes
Lesanne
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Berks Bucks Oxon= Norris Coxhead Turner Cox Weston Baston Simpson
Kent= Nicholls Mepstead Watts   Mile End=Craze Wood Bennett
Cork=Howe   NZ=Coxhead   Canada=Fenn Cox Turner