Author Topic: Maidenhead Schools  (Read 127320 times)

Offline Ermyntrude

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maidenhead Schools
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 13 August 08 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesanne
I had a cousin called Ron Smith who went to live in Princess Risborough and although he spent a lot of time visiting our family in Garden Cottages he didn't live there as far as I know. His sister lived there but her married name was Daphne Gwilym nee Smith. I think a lot of families moved to the council estate {Larchfield}.
Thanks Ermyntrude

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 13 August 08 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Ermyntrude,

My mother was born at number 20 Garden Cottages in 1910 she was Kathleen Elizabeth Wyse - parents John and Elizabeth Wyse.

I think they got out of there after her little sister died in 1918 and then they lived at number 13 Norfolk Park Cottages until she married my father in 1933 and they lived in College Glen.

And Lesanne,
Thanks for the offer.  I am now in such a muddle I think I need  a rest!  Five grandsons under six years old has exhausted me.  When I'm sorted I'll be in touch. 

Do you have the census reference details for Garden Cottages?  Ancestry don't seem to like the numbers I'm putting in!  In fact I've just had another go and I'm told I have the wrong ID or somesuch. 

All the best,
Abiam

Offline Ermyntrude

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 14 August 08 10:00 BST (UK) »
Hi  Abiam
After reading your piece  I wish I could check with my mother{she died four years ago.} She was born in 1911 but I think moved to Garden Cottages when she was six or seven and her mother had remarried. She often talked about a little girl dying and being taken to see her . I wonder if this could have been your aunt.
I think your family may have followed each other around because I think my mother lived at Norfolk Park before moving to Garden Cottages!
Ermyntrude

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 14 August 08 10:16 BST (UK) »
There are so many "if onlys" in this FT business.
Gladys Maud Wyse was born 1912 died 1918 of TB I think.  I'm afraid I can't go to the expense of all the certs I would like.
She was buried at All Saints cemetery at the Courthouse Road end of All Saint Avenue.
I have added her picture not that it will be any help but just for interest.  Incidentally restored beautifully by the Photographic board.
Did any of your family stay in the Maidenhead area?
Will let you know if I find anything else of interest,
Abiam

Offline Ermyntrude

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Saturday 16 August 08 09:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Abiam for the photo of your aunt . My mother always said the little girl she knew who died at Garden Cottageslooked like 'an angel to her'
She was taken to see the little girl after death and so being a child herself it must have had a profound effect on her.
My mother's brother {Smith} and his family stayed in the Maidenhead and Bucks areas.
Best wishes Ermyntrude   

Offline bumbled

• I am sorry but my email is no longer in use.
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Saturday 16 August 08 09:26 BST (UK) »
my husband and his family come from maidenhead way back in the 1900's, my mother in law often talks of garden cottages where here family lived surname (dover)

the dover family attended gordon road school and recall many names from the past, i would be pleased to ask them anything
they remember if anyone would like.
sue
blower/ puddifoot/tyrrell/odey/bryant/gibbs/from middx and bucks.

dover/spokes/brant/from berks

Offline Lesanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Saturday 16 August 08 09:56 BST (UK) »
My husband and I....  ;D  ;D we went to school with Dover's.
At Ellington and Gorden Rd.
Have your parents got any memories of Garden Cotts. My Coxheads were there, bit earlier in 1901.
Cox, Weston, then everyone that went round to Cordwallis Strret and Road.

If anyone has photo's of that era... Please post them. Our rellies would love to see them on this new fangled, telly thingy.....  ::)  ;)

Lesanne.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Berks Bucks Oxon= Norris Coxhead Turner Cox Weston Baston Simpson
Kent= Nicholls Mepstead Watts   Mile End=Craze Wood Bennett
Cork=Howe   NZ=Coxhead   Canada=Fenn Cox Turner

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Saturday 16 August 08 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Ermintrude,

It is a lovely picture but imagine taking a child to see her after death!  It sounds a bit macabre to me.  As you say must have had a profound effect.  I'm afraid I don't know the name Smith in this connection although I was married to one for about 26 years!  But not for the last 18!!!

Lesanne,
I do have a very uninspiring pic of Garden Cotts will see if I can dig it out.  I have found 3!  Will post when I have removed all this stuff on my desk!

Bumbled,
Do ask your Mother in Law if she remembers anything of the  Wyse, Harding or Vincent families, please.  Kathleen Wyse was born there in 1910 and I have just found 3 Vincent families of mine living there. 

What a busy thread this has become again,  Where are you Anyas?
Regards everyone,
Abiam

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Saturday 16 August 08 12:38 BST (UK) »
Quick PS for Lesanne.

Did you have anyone from Waldeck or Reform Roads?  I have a Coronation street party pic either 1902 or 1909,

Abiam