Author Topic: Maidenhead Schools  (Read 127282 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maidenhead Schools
« Reply #99 on: Thursday 28 August 08 00:16 BST (UK) »
I think you're right about the aviary seems to ring a very distant bell!  As regards being a bit shady I think any goings on were down at their house near Boulters Lock.  We just enjoyed the social contact and the coffee.

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Saturday 30 August 08 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Ermyntrude,

Jusy looking again through the book I recommended earlier on Maidenhead I have just come across an item that might interest you.  That is if Rose Montague was a servant to Henry and Jesse Timberlake and if her mother was Ellen and her father was William, a coalman.

Regards,
Abiam

Offline Karvan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Sunday 31 August 08 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hi there
Just found this site - didn't know it existed!!
I have been researching my family history for ages and would like to know more about my paternal grandmother - Ethel Gilroy who according to the 1901 census was living in Queen St, about where the Chicago Rock Cafe is now.
I know that she was a school teacher at Holy Trinity primary in Cookham for 28 years but would like to know the name of the school she would have attended and how she became a teacher?? I also remember being told that she played the organ in the Wesleyan chapel - now the Methodist chuch.
O'Hara, Maguire, McGrath

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Sunday 31 August 08 15:33 BST (UK) »
It is not clear from your question when she became a teacher and the answer is very dependent upon that.  Up to about 1902 most training was done through the pupil teacher system whereby schools did their own training.  However from 1870 onwards the the local boards took over teacher training and began to establish their own training institutes which at first were attended by the pupil teachers part time.

After 1902 these became formal training colleges eventually attended full time for up to two years.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Karvan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Sunday 31 August 08 16:05 BST (UK) »
Well I don't really know when she started teaching only that she started at Holy Trinity in 1916. The census in 1901 showed  her occupation as a pupil teacher and she was only 14!!
O'Hara, Maguire, McGrath

Offline russethouse

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Sunday 31 August 08 16:23 BST (UK) »
Did she always live in the same place ? Could she have attended Holy Trinity as a pupil too ?

Offline Karvan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Sunday 31 August 08 16:28 BST (UK) »
I don't think she would have attended Holy Trintiy as a pupil. I don't know where else she lived as a child. i don't have any records - only the 1901 census. She lived in Switchback Road while teaching at Holy Trinity
O'Hara, Maguire, McGrath

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Sunday 31 August 08 17:12 BST (UK) »
Well I don't really know when she started teaching only that she started at Holy Trinity in 1916. The census in 1901 showed  her occupation as a pupil teacher and she was only 14!!

My guess is that in 1901 she would be working in the school as a pupil teacher but attending training sessions a day or so a week.  Although as she was only 14 she may have been preparing to apply for formal training.

David
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Sunday 31 August 08 17:23 BST (UK) »
Presumably she was the Ethel May Gilroy registered in Cookham District in the Sept quarter of 1886.  In which case she would probably have been living fairly locally.
It was fairly usual for pupil teachers to start in the school where they were educated.

David