Author Topic: three tuns, great new street  (Read 1166 times)

Offline Allister Hardiman

• RootsChat Extra
  • **PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websit
    • View Profile
Re: three tuns, great new street
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 May 20 08:12 BST (UK) »
My blog is "Out of the Inkbottle" please down load images from there.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 May 20 08:27 BST (UK) »
How interesting. Although the thread has been up for many years, I've not seen it until now.

I remember the Tree Tuns as the student union bar at the LSE (London School of Economics ) when I was there in the 1960s . I think it's still there. It's not the same one but I'm wondering if it was named after the one in Fetters Lane.  It's not all that far away.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Allister Hardiman

• RootsChat Extra
  • **PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning--any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 May 20 13:08 BST (UK) »
It was named after the bombed out one. The bombed out on had been there for a very longtime. I do believe that side of the street was the side that survived the great fire of London, and the Tunns was built a little after restoration began on the area. We know it had a standard Georgian frontage of no particular distinction (having replaced an older fire-survived building)and served the published houses around. At no. 23 was Robson and Levy (Carlyle's Printers) who print works extended into behind the Tunns.