Author Topic: Random Acts Of Genealogical Kindness  (Read 5873 times)

Offline Marsden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Random Acts Of Genealogical Kindness
« on: Friday 12 November 04 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Ni,

Not just an England site - worldwide - its well worth looking at

http://www.raogk.org/listing.htm

Marsden
Starkey (Yeadon, Shipley) Dolan (Bradford) Marsden (Leeds, Bradford) Mitchell (Bradford) Murgatroyd (Yeadon)  Chippendale (Yeadon)  Easy (Bradford)  Rawnsley (Yeadon)  Cowgill (Yeadon)

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Random Acts Of Genealogical Kindness
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 November 04 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marsden,i would just like to say thankyou for giveing this link,its fantastic.Thankyou.Anne.
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 November 04 17:03 GMT (UK) »
I have used this site before and the people are wonderful.   They really sepnd a lot of time on their random acts.  Inspired me to do some of my own.
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 November 04 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nutkin,when you think of it,without people like them we would get no where fast,and there would also be a lot of miles to cover trying to find the records we want.I can only thank them from the bottom of my heart,i have had some great help so far even the rootschat team get involved,its like a personal thing with them everyone is equel.I dont know of any other site that gives you so many links to other sites and are so friendly and helpful.They are fantastic people,every last one of them.Anne.
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 November 04 04:18 GMT (UK) »
many thanks for the link

:) :) :)

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Found them! Found them! I wish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 March 05 07:15 GMT (UK) »
I agree that this is a great site ......but........this is my question

How long has anyone had to wait for an answer to their query?  ???

I ask this because, I contacted one of the researchers on 13 Nov 04 , asking for a birth lookup,  supplying the approx birth date,  place and county.   Allowing for Christmas and New Year,  I waited until 17 Jan this year before contacting the person again,  to find out how far she had gone with the search. I received a reply back the same day saying "My research schedule is just chaos at the moment and I will help you as soon as I can."

Juddee

I'm in limbo at the moment and wonder if this has happened to others  :-\ :-\

Cheers
Juddee
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 March 05 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Juddee

I got a reply almost instantly & the researcher (Melbourne) went way beyond what I was expecting. Thus said they are obviously different folks with different schedules. If there is another researcher looking at the area you are interested in, I would probably try contacting them.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 March 05 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Depends on the type of research.  First try to contact them again, in case they are working on the research.  I have some one who travels once a month to NYC to look at the vital records and gets back to me the same day he went to the archives but never takes  more than a month.  On the other hand, I had a lady in Scotland who took 4 months to get back to me and when she did she gave me very detailed information from the archives.

My experience is the person will usually conact you right away with the time frame and ability to complete a request.  I just asked someone to take digital pictures at a cemetery for me.  She emailed the same day and said she would do it but would have to wait for a couple of months for the snow to melt.  Over all only a couple of persons have not responded to my query.
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Found them! Found them! I wish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 March 05 06:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trish and Nutkin

Thanks for your replies.

I received an e-mail the same day, 13 /11/04,  in reply to mine saying among other things  " I will try to respond to your request within 14 days of receipt.  If this is not achievable then written confirmation will be sent."  I didn't receive notification so thought an answer would arrive soon.

From your reply Nutkin, I will leave it another couple of weeks before making contact again

Trish, as you say different people have different schedules.  I realise family and work committments can play havoc as well.  I will take your advice and try another reseacher if she is still too busy.

Thanks again  :) :)

Juddee
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />