Author Topic: Our Ancestors  (Read 41065 times)

Offline pentio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Our Ancestors
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 May 06 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Emmeline :)

sorry to hear about your grandmothers brother.....it must have been so difficult for everyone who lived through the war years....so many innocent people killed and injured.

saz  :)

good to hear from you again.....its great to see all these old photos everyone is getting so much enjoyment from them......once you get that scanner up and running there will be no stopping you.

my sister sent me this photo of my lovely mum and dad which i haver never seen before......it was taken on their wedding day on the 28th December 1948 at Sinclair Seamans Church in Belfast which is down by the docks...it must have been a windy day as mum was holding her wedding dress down......its really lovely to have it.

best wishes

pentio.

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 May 06 00:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone

Pentio - I think it is a beautiful wedding photo.

Saz - we look forward to you using your new scanner.

As I had previously sent photo of my mother and her sister here is one of my father John and his older brother.
They were born 1 year and 4 days apart and  their father died when  they were small - he was 29. Times were tough.
Funnily enough the only other photo I saw of them together when small they were wearing Napoleonic hats -  goodness knows what happened to it - especially as all our old photos were treasured.

:) :) :) Good to be back !

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 May 06 20:28 BST (UK) »
hi everyone

What cutie those boys were...so sad too

Pentio....your parents do look so happy...

found this one of my Uncle Tom and his men...have know idea what they are doing..............have you............but it was taken late1920's somewhere on the Antrim coast...and what is that  machine they are using???????

Steve
<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline saz1401

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 May 06 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Sis
Who is Uncle Tom - or is that a silly question!!??!!

Are they collecting / spreading Dulse (seaweed) to dry out on beach?

saz (big sis) xxx
antrim, donegore, ballycraigy, doagh, ballysavage,  carnmoney, ballyhenry, belfast, mallusk, hydepark names - twigg, gault, robinson, stevenson, todd, kirkpatrick, porter, mayne, topping, McDowell, douglas

Offline pentio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 May 06 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hi all

Emmeline :) good to have you and the team back :) :)  thanks for your kind comments on wedding photo......what a lovely photo of your dad and his brother sad to think their father died at such a young age must have been really hard for mum

Steve :) yes my mum and dad were very happy...so many fond memories...great pic of your uncle Tom and his men ...not sure what they are doing must have a closer look.

anyone heard from Noeleen?

pentio.

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my mum Gemma Doyle 1950s
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 May 06 00:25 BST (UK) »
Evening all  ;D just popped in to have a look at the pics they are all great as usual i wish i had  more and i need my scanner sorted for the ones i do have.
 Steve that looks like an old fashioned big JCB

Colette
Doyle, Mullan, Mulholland, O'Neill, McCann, Lowry, Mullen, Forsythe, Magilton, Farnan.  Banbridge Co Down , Belfast Co Antrim and Dungannon Co Tyrone .

Offline pentio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 May 06 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Colette  :)

nice to hear from you again....... just need Noeleen to make an appearance to complete the set........get that scanner up and running ....looking forward to seeing some of your photos.

pentio.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 May 06 01:26 BST (UK) »
Evening all  ;D just popped in to have a look at the pics they are all great as usual i wish i had  more and i need my scanner sorted for the ones i do have.
 Steve that looks like an old fashioned big JCB

Colette

Hiya Everyone,

So this is what you've all been up to this evening :D

That might have been a Blaw Knox Bulldozer Colette. I was only able to find a site showing a model http://www.mecworld.co.za/cmrp/cmrp/models_files/model14/model14.htm
That Meccano one takes me back a year or two.

Chris

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 29 May 06 04:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone -  Hello Steve and Saz & Pentio  - I guess the bulldozer was being used to clear sea-weed - any other thoughts ?

Have been looking through Uncle G's photos again to see what I can find. Thought I would send this one first  of him and younger brother Henry ( always known his whole life as Bruv) ......... ...
" he's my  bruvver " !  Emma Louise was in the middle of the washing when the photographer called.

Uncle G travelled a long way from that window-sill in his life.   I'll see what more I can find.

Kind regards to all.