Author Topic: Stephenson and Amer  (Read 5308 times)

Offline Kinn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stephenson and Amer
« on: Thursday 25 May 06 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

Wonder if anyone can help me.

I am researching my family tree.  My GG Grandmother Euphemia Rae Amer (nee Stephenson) was the Great Niece of George Stephenson (the rocket inventor).

I have managed to trace back to her Father Cunningham Stephenson born about 1818/1819 in Kirkcudbright.  I need to know who Cunningham's Father was as he would have been the Brother of George Stephenson.  Can anyone help me please.

Thanks

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Stephenson and Amer
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 May 06 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Kinn

I would guess that Cunningham's father was John, brother to George, born around 1785 in Wylam Northumberland. Cunningham called his eldest son John. I also found this on IGI, actual extract from OPRs:

JOHN STEVENSON  Marriages: Spouse:  EUPHONIA RAE    
Marriage:  22 DEC 1815   Rerrick, Kirkcudbright, Scotland

Rerrick is also showing on the 1851 Census as Cunningham's birth place. He also seems to have called your GG grandmother after his mother.

You will get final confirmation if you view Cunningham's death cert on Scotlands People. A free search on SP shows a Cunningham Stevenson, born 1819, died in Kirkcudbright in 1896. His death cert will show who his parents were.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 May 06 09:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks,

This is fantastic news.  Will keep in touch if I need anything more from you.

Regards

Kinn

Offline Kinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 May 06 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica

Just had a thought.  Once again many thanks for your help.

Do you by any chance know the fees for copy birth and marriage certificates.

If I recall i think I was quoted a price of £13.00.  Is this correct? 

Regards

Cheryl

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 May 06 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Cheryl

If you simply want to view an image of the death cert for Cunningham, your best best is to view it on Scotlands People, the official Scottish pay to view BMD and census site. You can view images of the certs and then down load on to your computer and then print off. Their site is at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

You get 30 units for £6GB and then use 1 unit to view the results of a search and 5 units to . of cert/census page. You have 1 week to use up units otherwise you have to purchase another 30 units to reactivate the units that are time expired. It's quick and easy and so much cheaper than ordering original copies from the GROS.

I don't know how far you are into your Scottish research and whether you have other certs/censuses you want to view, but this I think is the most economical and speedy route. If you are successful with your searches, you can get up to 5 images of BMD certs or censuses for your £6GB.

If you haven't used SP before, there are a useful post here on RootsChat called 'Optimise Scotlands People searches' at www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,43916.0.html

In particular, use wildcards for spellings. As per my last post, I think Cunningham's death cert is indexed as Stevenson not Stephenson so the use of ste*enson is appropriate.

The following link details the cost of ordering a paper cert.:
www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/famrec/hlpsrch/leaflet2.html

Regards.

Monica

Offline Kinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 May 06 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica

Very good news. 

I will be more than pleased if you could email me the certificate.  if you can let me have your address I will send a cheque to you.

regards

Cheryl

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 May 06 21:14 BST (UK) »
Cheryl

I've picked up your email address. If I can suggest, you should go back to your post and delete your email address (to prevent spaming etc!).

Regards.

Monica

Offline lynn_p

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great Grandmother c1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 October 06 19:45 GMT (UK) »
Cheryl,

I am researching my family tree.  My GG Grandmother Euphemia Rae Amer (nee Stephenson) was the Great Niece of George Stephenson (the rocket inventor).

I have managed to trace back to her Father Cunningham Stephenson born about 1818/1819 in Kirkcudbright.  I need to know who Cunningham's Father was as he would have been the Brother of George Stephenson.  Can anyone help me please.

Hi, Euphemia Rae and John Stephenson are my g-g-g-grandparents and I'd be interested to understand how you have confirmed that this John Stevenson is related to George Stephenson of "Rocket" fame?  Do you have evidence that your relation Euphemia Rae Stevenson is the great-neice of George Stephenson? 
Euphemia Rae died in 1864 in Kirkudbright and was listed as a widow of John Stevenson - Sextant.  Does this tie in with the brother of George Stephenson?
I'm descended through Euphemia and John's son Robert. 

(FYI Euphemia's father is Cunningham Rae - hence her other son's name).

Thanks
Fife/ Clacks/ Stirling/Perth: Paterson, Forgie, Pitcairn, Moncrieff, Bruce
Lanark: Bogan, Clark, Morrison
Dumfries & Galloway: Bell, Bethune
http://paterson.familytreeguide.com/tree_index.php
http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=lynnpat11

Offline Kinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 November 06 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lynn,

You might just be able to help me.

Firstly my gg grandmother was born Euphemia Rae Stephenson or Stevenson were not quite sure of the spelling.  She was born in 1851 in Kirkcudbright.  On her marriage to my gg grandfather Stephen William Amer in Liverpool in 1878. William was born in 1857 and Euphemia from her marriage Certificate was supposedly born in 1855.  But on getting her death certificate, her age stated on that certificate was 79 and she died in 1930 hence she was really born in 1851.

On her marriage Certificate it states her father as being Cunningham Stevenson and his occupation was a farmer.

The reason we say that Euphemia is related to George Stephenson is that my Grandmother's Sister Daisy inherited the family bible and in the bible shows the family tree.  My mother and I have tried to trace this family bible as we were told it was given to Edinburgh University and the reason they wanted it was because of entries that were contained within the family tree.

My mother also told me that according to her mother, Euphemia was scottish by birth and that she was related to George Stephenson.  We were told she said that he was her great  uncle.

We do not have proper evidence of this we are only going by what gg granny told us.  this is why I am researching now to see if I can get the proof.  We managed to get in contact with Edinburgh University but alas they searched their numerous family bibles that they have there and unfortunately our family bible was no longer there.

I would be interested to hear from you regarding your family tree. I know very little about Cunningham Stevenson and his family.  I know he died in or around 1896 of stomach cancer and he is buried along with children in his grave in Kirkcudbright.  I would be happy to hear your side of the family tree and you may in fact be able to help me with regard to Cunningham's Parents.

If I can get any more proof or evidence of George Stephenson I will certainly let you know.

Kind regards

Cheryl