Author Topic: Stephenson and Amer  (Read 5307 times)

Offline lynn_p

• RootsChat Extra
  • Great Grandmother c1887
    • View Profile
Re: Stephenson and Amer
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 November 06 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
the only info I have on the Rae / Stevenson connection is as follows:

Cunningham Rae b.c1750 possibly a Tailor, and Agnes Duncan married 1777, Kirkudbright  had children Margaret,1777 William, c1774,  Euphemia, 1795 (probably others), born Kirkudbright.  (evidence for this is via death certs of their children/ info from another contact).

1815: Euphemia Rae married a John Stevenson in Kirkudbright

scotlandspeople show 3 children for this couple: Cunningham 1818, William 1823, Robert 1825, all Kirkudbright.

1841 census in Kelton Dumfries:John Stevenson as aged 56, Ag. Lab   (Euphemia, (listed with "Rae" scored out) aged 40, with younger children, David 10, Agnes 6, Robert 4, John 2, Maitland 2;  all family born in the county (note this includes John snr). Must assume first son Robert died prior to younger Robert's birth.

1841 also shows Cunningam Stevenson, 21, M.S. (male servant) at a farm in Kirkudbright.

1841 - Marriage of Cunningham Stevenson and Jane Robson, Kirkudbright.

1851 shows Euphemia as the Head of the household in Kelton, Dumfries, listed as married (not widowed), "Outdoor work", with a daughter Jane Stevenson 24 and son Maitland, 12

1861 shows Cunningham Stevenson as Head, ploughman in Kirkudbright.  Married to Jane 42, with children: James 15, Hellen 13, Jane 12, Euphemia 10 (born Tongueland,Kirkudbright), Anna 8, Elizabeth 6,Jannet 3, William 1

1864 - death of Euphemia Rae age 64, widow of John Stevenson, Sexton (church official) in Dumfries.  DAUGHTER of Cunningham Rae and Agnes Duncan.  Registered by son Cunningham Stevenson.

1881: Maitland Stevenson appears in the English census, in Cumberland as a corn miller, married to a woman from Penrith.

Additionally, Euphemia Rae's brother William had children: John, Cunningham, Margaret, Agnes, David, James.  William is buried in Dundrennan and his son John in Rerrick.

Hope this all helps!

- I still cannot say if the John Stevenson that Euphemia Rae marries IS the brother of George, his age does seem to tie in but the 1841 census lists him as born in Kirkudbright.  He died before 1864 and possibly before the 1851 census so we cannot for sure find his parentage.  Next best thing may be to see the marriage entry of 1815 - may say what parish he is from.

Fife/ Clacks/ Stirling/Perth: Paterson, Forgie, Pitcairn, Moncrieff, Bruce
Lanark: Bogan, Clark, Morrison
Dumfries & Galloway: Bell, Bethune
http://paterson.familytreeguide.com/tree_index.php
http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=lynnpat11

Offline catherine donley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stephenson and Amer
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 March 24 09:43 GMT (UK) »
This happens to be my family also..