Author Topic: Foord/Ford - Cranbrook / Horsmonden area 1841  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Foord/Ford - Cranbrook / Horsmonden area 1841
« on: Friday 26 May 06 07:34 BST (UK) »
Could someone please help me identify this family group?

John Foord agricultural labourer and Mary Ann Foord with son Henry Foord baptised/born 1835 at Cranbrook nr Horsmonden. Henry joined the army at Canterbury in around 1856 and was a Corporal with the 2nd Dragoons in India. He retired to Nutfield in the Redhill area after leaving the army in 1877and worked at the Philanthropic Farm School.

I found him in the 1871 census at Colchester Barracks and 1881 at Nutfield

possible entry 1851 census at Horsmonden Green living with James Alford but conflicting information!

James Alford U 55 Cordwainer b Horsmonden
- Foord sister Married 52 b Horsmonden
Henry Foord nephew u cordwainer apprentice b Middlesex London. I suspect Mum and son muddled re birth place.

TIA

Howdie
Attwood-WOR,Blackford-Blockley,Brightman-Spalding,Carey-Wainfleet,Cave-Spalding,Collop-Chigwell,Cook-Wickham Market,Cooper-Pettistree,Dabbs-Humber,Davis-Pancras,Foyster-LIN, Dawson-Gt Hale,Eastcott-CON,Fenton-NFK,Foord-Horsmonden,Goble-SSX,Howell-GLO,Kellow-St Teath,Kent-Southwark,King-Lamberhurst,Parmenter-Halstead,Penaluna-CON,Polglase-Falmouth,Press-NFK,Redgrove-SRY,Rice-N Ireland,Ruddell-Rotherhithe,Screech-Saltash, Skerry-NFK,Surman-WOR,Waghorn-KEN,Weatherhog-LIN,Williman-NFK

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Foord/Ford - Cranbrook / Horsmonden area 1841
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 May 06 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Howdie,

Not sure this is going to be much help  :(
HO107/459/11 21 13
Horsemonden, Kent
Hoath

James Allard, 46, Cordwainer, yes
/
Hester Ford, 35, yes
Henry Ford, 5, yes

Looks like the same chap as above. I can't see any Henry Fo(o)rd in Kent age ca. 5 with parents John and Mary Ann, nor can I see a John or Mary Ford in Horsemonden.

Tanja  :)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 May 06 08:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Howdie
The Henry Foord you have found in Horsmonden in 1851 is, I believe, the son of Esther/Hester (nee Allard) and Samuel Foord. He married Mary Ann Frances Joy (one of my Brenchley Joy family) in 1856.
I have traced this man through the censuses from 1841 to 1901 so am pretty sure he is not yours.
I will have a look round for another Henry Foord in the  1841 census.
Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 May 06 08:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you both,

I cleaned my glasses and had another look at the 1851 image printout and picked up the error on Alford - Allard. The IGI gives James Allard as son of Henry and Elizabeth bpt Horsmonden 3/4/1796. There is no Mary Allard, so while these families may be linked in some way it is not a direct one.

I just re-checked my notes and his baptism was 23rd August 1835 at Horsmonden.

I continue to ponder!!

Howdie
Attwood-WOR,Blackford-Blockley,Brightman-Spalding,Carey-Wainfleet,Cave-Spalding,Collop-Chigwell,Cook-Wickham Market,Cooper-Pettistree,Dabbs-Humber,Davis-Pancras,Foyster-LIN, Dawson-Gt Hale,Eastcott-CON,Fenton-NFK,Foord-Horsmonden,Goble-SSX,Howell-GLO,Kellow-St Teath,Kent-Southwark,King-Lamberhurst,Parmenter-Halstead,Penaluna-CON,Polglase-Falmouth,Press-NFK,Redgrove-SRY,Rice-N Ireland,Ruddell-Rotherhithe,Screech-Saltash, Skerry-NFK,Surman-WOR,Waghorn-KEN,Weatherhog-LIN,Williman-NFK

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 May 06 07:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Howdie
The Henry Foord you have found in Horsmonden in 1851 is, I believe, the son of Esther/Hester (nee Allard) and Samuel Foord. He married Mary Ann Frances Joy (one of my Brenchley Joy family) in 1856.
I have traced this man through the censuses from 1841 to 1901 so am pretty sure he is not yours.
I will have a look round for another Henry Foord in the  1841 census.
Barbara

I am sure you are right and he is not the one - so where? Is he a Hnry Hy. hiding or did they take a Pa Larkins' style day trip to France during the censuses? Not as a family group in either the 1841 or 1851.

Still pondering,

Howdie

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 May 06 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Howdie,

I just can't see him.

Wonder if this is the family in 1851 (minus Henry  :-\ )
HO107/1640 22 9
Rotherfield, Sussex
John Foard, head, 52, Pauper Ag lab, b. Sussex Mayfield
Mary A, wife, 42, b. Kent Brenchley
Dorcas, dau, 11, scholar, b. Horsemonden
Charles, son, 4, b. Marden
Mary A, dau, 2, b. Loose

By 1861, this Dorcas is given as unmarried daughter in law (=stepdaughter) age 13 (oops: this should read 23) therefore I don't think John and Mary Ann could have been married in 1835  :-\
Birthplaces according to 1861:
John Mayfield; Mary Ann Horsmonden; Dorcas Horsmonden; Charles Marden; Mary Ann Linton

I can't find a Dorcas b. ca. 1840 with a mother Mary A on the 1841 census for Horsmonden.

Sorry, no help. Just trying things.

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tjapaltjarri

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Howdie,

I just can't see him.

Wonder if this is the family in 1851 (minus Henry  :-\ )
HO107/1640 22 9
Rotherfield, Sussex
John Foard, head, 52, Pauper Ag lab, b. Sussex Mayfield
Mary A, wife, 42, b. Kent Brenchley
Dorcas, dau, 11, scholar, b. Horsemonden
Charles, son, 4, b. Marden

Mary A, dau, 2, b. Loose

By 1861, this Dorcas is given as unmarried daughter in law (=stepdaughter) age 13 therefore I don't think John and Mary Ann could have been married in 1835  :-\
Birthplaces according to 1861:
John Mayfield; Mary Ann Horsmonden; Dorcas Horsmonden; Charles Marden; Mary Ann Linton

I can't find a Dorcas b. ca. 1840 with a mother Mary A on the 1841 census for Horsmonden.

Sorry, no help. Just trying things.

Thanks Tati. every little helps and I was fresh out of ideas on this one.

Could they have adopted Dorcas? I will have to go back to the PR's to check but I didn't find the Dorcas baptism when I looked at the BT's in Canterbury. Mind you I did this in the early days 20+ years ago.

They were obviously moving frequently to get work.

Online Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hello again Howdie
I have had no luck finding your Henry at all!
Could his mother have been widowed and remarried - in which case Henry might have been recorded  in the census under his step-father's name?
I tried the IGI for other births to a John and Mary but with no particular conclusion. Perhaps tracing Henry's parents would be useful - unless you have already tried this of course.
Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk