Author Topic: Handwriting  (Read 2057 times)

Offline ednalou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Handwriting
« on: Friday 26 May 06 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

I dont know whether anyone else have noticed this. When my husband was clearing the false roof out the other day he came across my birthday cards from when I was a little girl.  I found one from my Nanna who was my mothers mother and my mothers sister and when you look  their handwriting is very similar.  My other Nanna on my Fathers side and my eldest brother their handwriting is also very similar.   I was amazed how when you look at your parents, grandparents. or even 3rd cousin once removed the handwriting is similar. I hadnt notice this before.  Probably because before I started tracing my Family Tree you dont notice these things.  But it may be interesting for other people to look at their families handwriting to see if they come up with the same discovery.

Some people may think this is a bit of a stupid topic, but I just wondered if anyone else has noticed this.

Regards

Gillian

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Handwriting
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 May 06 11:22 BST (UK) »
Interesting you should say that Gillian, my dad and I have almost identical signatures.  I have no idea why, I didn't copy his or anything, they just developed the same!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Chasing-fireflies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy is like Chasing fireflies....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 May 06 12:09 BST (UK) »
I have found exactly the same thing. I keep thinking i am getting letters from myself in the post but they are from my mother, uncle etc etc. Its uncanny! Maybe its the way we are brought up or something that determines how we will eventually develop our writing skills. Maybe there is an expert here somewhere that will tell us more!!
 ;)
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 May 06 13:43 BST (UK) »

To a certain extent, I'd expect the more mature generations to have 'similar' handwriting, because they would have been taught a particular scripting style while at school, to best cope with pen and ink (our desks still had them in the 1960/1970's)..

Rollerballs, Fibretips and Biros don't require the same discipline(s).

Pauline

All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 May 06 14:47 BST (UK) »
That doesn't explain why my writing is so similar to my dad's and our signature's identical though.  I never used anything but a biro, as you say we did have ink in the 70's but we only ever played really, we didn't use them seriously, especially as I am left handed and I always ended up with more ink on my hand than on the paper.

Incidentally my dad is left handed too!

Kerry

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline dwalin

• RootsChat Veteran
  • looking into the past.lets you see the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 May 06 15:06 BST (UK) »
i think its because our parents help us to learn to write.
my dad held my hand with the pen and helped me form letters
dwalin
harris , penrose,jose.davison.layton.leighton.summerson.bennet.clasper.wallett.cadwallader.johnson.jobling.bell (cook?)      />craig.stokoe.marshall.chalmers.white.bainbridge.waite.trevena.trenwith.polkinghorn.dixon.jopling.powell.ivey.greenhow
lloyd

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 May 06 15:41 BST (UK) »
I have almost the same handwrting as my Dad which is weird as we were estranged for over 10 years but I think Dwalin's explanation is correct.
Wheeldon  Derbyshire & Manchester
Willshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Wilshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Pugh Manchester, Haston, Hadwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Patrick Coventry, Warwick, Foleshill
Kelly Dronmore County Down & Manchester
Stewart  Hilsborough County Down & Manchester
Moffatt/Moffitt County May &, Lancashire

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 May 06 15:45 BST (UK) »
Yes, my handwriting is very similar to my dad's....and not that different from my grandad's....(that is until I started using the puter, it has gone terrible...)
Also i think that the days of "Is that your best writing?"  "No, miss" "Well do your best writing!" have gone..which won't help.

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 May 06 15:55 BST (UK) »
When my duaghter, Alex, attended morning nursery aged 2 and a half, she was the only child who could write her name.  She couldn't manage swirls and curls so I taught her how to write it in capitals - I'm still being told off by her teachers 2 years later as she still hasn't mastered an 'e' - and is adamant that her name is written in capitals.

I'm a parent guilty of getting it all wrong yet again - I had good intentions though  :-\
Wheeldon  Derbyshire & Manchester
Willshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Wilshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Pugh Manchester, Haston, Hadwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Patrick Coventry, Warwick, Foleshill
Kelly Dronmore County Down & Manchester
Stewart  Hilsborough County Down & Manchester
Moffatt/Moffitt County May &, Lancashire