Author Topic: Lewis/Hickey family Peterswell Co. Galway  (Read 2545 times)

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Found them! Found them! I wish!
    • View Profile
Lewis/Hickey family Peterswell Co. Galway
« on: Thursday 21 October 04 19:29 BST (UK) »
I am having difficulty tracing the family of Margaret Lewis. Margaret was born c.1838 and emigrated to Australia on board the "Ocean Monarch" in 1856.  She married William Tasker in 1857 and on her marriage certificate she is Roman Catholic and Peterswell Co. Galway was listed as her birth place. Her parents were John Lewis a farmer  and Catherine Hickey.  I have been unable to find any records of her birth , any siblings, or her parents marriage.   A  family story concerns John being a French Lieutenant who went to Ireland to help the Irish fight the British and over time his name was changed from Jean Louis to John Lewis.  What is a little confusing I have found the  town Peterswell which is not far from Dunguarie Castle and a map with what appears to be two parishes of the same name.  Any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Lewis/Hickey family Peterswell Co. Galway
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 February 08 16:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello juddee,

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist. 

Christopher