Author Topic: parish records not filmed by L.D.S  (Read 2702 times)

Offline brenny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
parish records not filmed by L.D.S
« on: Friday 26 May 06 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am trying to get marriage and birth records, I have contacted the on line parish clerks for some details which was great but they have said some Church's do not allow their records to be photographed.So how do I obtain the  information in the registers and is there a list of the churches that don't allow this to happen?
The years are 1700 to 1800 in the Millbrook Maker area.
Is it the Cornwall Records Office and if so can this be obtained by email? I am going around in circle at the moment. Living in Australia.Thanks in advance for your help ??? ???
brenny

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: parish records not filmed by L.D.S
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 May 06 19:28 BST (UK) »
You are right that they are at Cornwall Record Office at Truro.  Usually they are expensive to do look ups for you. They should be on the IGI have you tried

http://www.familysearch.org

I would also suggest that you post full details of who you are looking for on the Cornwall look up board of rootschat as there are people who hold a lot of the Cornwall registers on CD or visit the record office regularly and would look for you..

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 May 06 02:45 BST (UK) »
hi David,
thanks for the reply :) I have checked the family search information but the problem is they aren't on there . The church will not allow the registers to be copied, but I don't know which churches  they are. 
does the records office still have a list of all the entries and which churches to go to? or do I have find the church and contact the parish priest?a confused Aussie.
Kind regards
brenny ???

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 May 06 09:14 BST (UK) »
There were initially two copies of all of the entries.  One was in the original register and the other in the bishops transcript.  The IGI was in general made from the bishop's transcript rather than the original register.

According to the listing which I have most Cornish parishes have their original registers deposited at Truro.  Specifically the parish of Maker has its registers deposited and also on the IGI.  The bishops transcripts are usually also in the county record office in which the diocese cathedral is located. In this case again it would be Truro.

I am surprised that the church even has a copy of the Maker parish registers.  In general there is very little point in contacting the church.  There are a few where they have retained the records and have a volunteer who will find entries for you for a contribution to parish funds.

Do use the look up board for Cornwall.  My experience is that if the information is available someone will find it for you.  You will also get a better answer to what is available from that board.  My other comment is when posting requests on this site it is usually best to always mention names and specific dates so that people can help with your search.

If the church that is involved is not "Church of England" the story is entirely different but you referred to the parish priest and so I assume it was.  However I don't understand your reference to Millbrook.  I am not a resident in Cornwall, although my daughter is, but it means nothing to me.

David
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline brenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 May 06 11:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry David I think I have confused you and myself, as far as I am aware only certain years have been filmed by the L.D.S. I could be wrong. I have viewed some films for the
Millbrook area which is in Maker that is where
my Davey line lived  but the Genuki on -line parish clerk (This is not the parish church) has looked-up all that she can
because the parents of the Davey that I am looking for were not born in Millbrook I cannot research any more until I find out more about the parents. Hence the question about where are all the records kept as I need to try and get copies of the details of my Davey line as there is another conflicting family tree and I need to try and prove my line. The Genuki parish clerk told me that some churches refuse any sort of copying you can view them and make notes. But my problem is, are there any churches attached to the Millbrook Maker area that fit into this catergory of not being able to obtain copies.
I have posted messages on the cornwall page listings and I have had some response but my
information is limited as the Mothers maiden name is not known and John Davey is common and I don't know the religion. I may try the Roots chat members who found some information for me and see if they could tell me the information. I thank you very much for all your help it is greatly appreciated everyone on roots chat has been wonderful . I hope I haven't confused you any more ???. You have answered one problem I must see the Truro office for some details.
Thanks for your patience
Kind regards
Brenda

Offline terrymo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 May 06 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Brenny
There is Millbrook Parish Church and also the church at Maker which is St Mary and St Julian.  Cornwall Family History Society have recorded most of the gravestones at Maker, also they hold a lot of info on the Parish registers and might be able to help you.  Their website is
www.cornwallfhs.com
hope this helps
Mo
Preece, Waterfield,Harding, Welman, Dewar, Rossiter, Hill, Cummings,Tregonning, Harman, Martinelli
This information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline brenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 May 06 13:31 BST (UK) »
Dear Mo,

Thank you I will give them a try and see what they come up with.PS thanks for the church names
Thank again :)
Regards
Brenda

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 May 06 15:04 BST (UK) »
The light is beginning to dawn.  I was looking at parish listings prior to 1834 and Millbrook didn't become a parish until much later.   In fact from the following it seems unlikely there was even a church there in the 18th century.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/Cornwall/Millbrook/index.html

Now that I have worked out that it is the area around Edgecombe I realise I have actually been there some years ago when my daughter lived in Plymouth.

David

Offline brenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 May 06 15:20 BST (UK) »
;D Hi David,
I have finally got some where  thanks for the message.A
 member gave me the www.cornwallfhs.com  site to look at and it has all the history about the churches and information for newbies like me I am reading it now. and yes I have been in contact with the Millbrook Genuki.
Thanks for the help.
Kind regards
Brenda