Author Topic: any one heard of this place please.  (Read 4677 times)

Offline walkerlad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: any one heard of this place please.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 May 06 15:59 BST (UK) »
it could be blencow
i have a mary greenhow 1825 born greystoke in my family tree
gill, cumberland, winlaton, newcastle
davis, northampton, lancashire, newcastle.
bell, winlaton, newcastle.
urwin, hexham, durham.
mcfarlane, newcastle.
plant, yorkshire, durham, newcastle

Offline anna62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 November 08 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Just seen your other message about Greenhow - I am not sure of the dates because I haven't got my paperwork to hand but I have a couple of the Greenhow children staying with relatives on one census.  The place you are looking for may be Blencarn which is a small place near Penrith.  I will have to update myself with my previous investigations but my Great Grandmother was Isabella Greenhow.  Her father was Edward Greenhow and her mother was Jane Carleton (from Blencarn).   I believe my g grandmother only had one brother, Joseph.  Her father was originally an agricultural labourer but became a miner and died in a mining accident when he was about 47.   Isabella came to Cheshire, a couple of her sisters emigrated to the states and canada, one sister died and the only brother died in South Africa during the Boer War.

Let me know if you think they are the same family and I will dig out by old papers.

Kind regards
anna

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi anna 62
Welcome to rootschat.   I am sure someone will get back to you when they are next online.  It would be nice if you could find a link.
Andrea