Author Topic: Kings Head / Arms Pub now Black Buoy Caernarvon  (Read 6220 times)

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
Kings Head / Arms Pub now Black Buoy Caernarvon
« on: Friday 26 May 06 15:57 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me here

My Great Great Uncle Hugh Thomas (born 1853 Llanbedrgoch) was the landlord of the Kings Arms pub in 7 North Gate Street, Caernarfon from at least 1891 to 1899 when he died. His wife, Margaret was still running the pub in 1901 according to the census and it was called the Kings Head then

Is there anyway I could get a copy of the deeds or something that show when he started as landlord there and when he finished or when his wife finished?

I know it is now called The Black Buoy and was apparently called that before becoming the Kings Arms. My Great Grandfather, William Richard Thomas was known locally as Mab y Black Buoy which means son of Black Buoy but we know Hugh was his brother not father.

Can anyone give me any ideas on where to go from here

Thanks in advance

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Kings Head / Arms Pub now Black Buoy Caernarvon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 June 06 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi CarolBurns,

If you can find the brewery which owned the pub in 1901 it might point a way.

By the way,  The Black Buoy was originally called The Black Boy until political correctness raised its head.

Regards

Quarryman
Roberts, Caernarfon. Thomas, Caernarfon. Kite, Kent.

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 June 06 10:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Quarryman

The original name is probably the one that my Grandfather was known as the son of.

I might end up having to make a few phone calls to the pub to see if the present owner knows anything

Thanks again

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline kimhughes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 June 06 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol - it's a fascinating place and very very old.  I was there recently enjoying a nice meal.  You could ask archives in Caernarfon if they have any information on it
Hazell, Bitton, Perry, Webb

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 June 06 01:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kim

Going over to Anglesey with my dad in about a week or so, so might make a diversion on the way back and have a look and an ask about while there

If we don't get there I might have to give Caernarvon a ring

Carol

Offline kimhughes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 June 06 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

I just remembered that the proprietor told me there is a local historian writing up the history of the Black Boy.  Perhaps you could have a chat with him when your over.

Kim
Hazell, Bitton, Perry, Webb

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 June 06 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim again

I will ask the proprietor for his name and details and see what |I can get

Thanks again

Carol

Offline Keith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 July 06 00:32 BST (UK) »
Carol,

The licence (Alehouse) of the King's Arms was transferred to Hugh Thomas on 14th. April, 1890 from Robert Humphreys. There was a temporary transfer to Margaret Thomas on 20th. March 1899, before a full transfer on 17th. April 1899. I have no details as to when Margaret left, but you will be glad to learn that they had no convictions during their time there.

From what I understand, the name Black Boy comes from the old tavern sign which some of the King's Arms/Head taverns would have borne, and which would quite possibly have had an image of Charles II on it. A popular nickname for Charles was "The Black Boy" due to his slight build and dark skin. Accordingly, a number of these taverns became known locally as the Black Boy.

Regards,

Keith.

Offline CarolBurns

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 July 06 01:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Keith

At least I now have a date (thereabouts) for Hugh's death so should be easier to find in the BMD

Luckily for me, Kimhughes has been to the pub since this thread was put on here and she has given me the secretary's email so I can contact her when she gets back from sickleave. Hopefully she will be able to help with either more info or the historians name and contact details

Never got to Anglesey or Caernarvon but intend to go very soon.

Thanks again for the info about Margaret as well as the info about the pub's name

Carol