Author Topic: NBI - ELWORTHY  (Read 1960 times)

Offline M Elworthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
NBI - ELWORTHY
« on: Friday 26 May 06 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help confirm something for me on the National Burial Index.

I'm looking for a William Elworthy, and his wife Joanna Elworthy, nee Tilley.

They would have died in the late 1700's, early 1800's, and as far as I am aware, were the only couple with those names in the country at that time, so if they are on it, they shouldn't be too difficult to distinguish, one would hope!

I would expect them to to be living in areas such as Stoke Damerell, Maker (Cornwall), Rame or close by.

Hope someone can help!

Regards,

Michael

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
Re: NBI - ELWORTHY
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 May 06 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Michael

Your post caught my eye.  Rame & Maker Parish Churches are two of the most beautiful I have ever visited, with very interesting Churchyards.

Sorry I can't help with the NBI, but if you Google "Parish Records" "Maker with Rame"
you might find some helpful stuff.

Best wishes
Wendi

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline niftynita

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Great GPs, 2 children (incl my GF seated) 1912
    • View Profile
Re: NBI - ELWORTHY
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 May 06 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi, Just wondering if anyone can help confirm something for me on the National Burial Index.
I'm looking for a William Elworthy, and his wife Joanna Elworthy, nee Tilley.
They would have died in the late 1700's, early 1800's, and as far as I am aware, were the only couple with those names in the country at that time, so if they are on it, they shouldn't be too difficult to distinguish, one would hope!
I would expect them to to be living in areas such as Stoke Damerell, Maker (Cornwall), Rame or close by.
Hope someone can help!
Regards, Michael

Hi Michael
I've got the 2nd edition NBI, and there are no Elworthy names for Cornwall for the time period (1761-1825).  There are however 4 William Elworthys in Somerset, but no Joanna. 
Brief details of the 4 Williams that I found are: 
25 Aug 1793, age 41, Somerset - North Curry, St Peter & St Paul.
23 Dec 1810,  no age, Somerset - Crowcombe, Holy Ghost.
10 May 1818, 71, Somerset - Huntspill, St Peter & All Hallows.
14 Mar 1818, 44, Somerset - Isle Abbots, Blessed Virgin Mary.
Hope one of these relates to you.   

There are a couple of Ann Elworthys, as well as an Elizabeth Elworthy in the same town & church as a few of the William Elworthys.   So maybe if one of these Williams are right, she could be listed as Ann / Elizabeth on burial records. 

Let me know if you would like any further information. 
Regards Anita
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I live in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia and am always searching for the following in Aust & UK:
DORSET - Moore, Reeks;  WILTSHIRE - Chalk, Elkins; HAMPSHIRE - Chalk, Hack;  DERBYSHIRE - Chadwick;
CUMBERLAND - Armstrong, Pearson;  LONDON/KENT AREA - Frith, Knight; YORKSHIRE - Street (WR), Pearson (NR); SOMERSET - Pickford; 
GLOUCESTERSHIRE - Shearman, Tarling;   SCOTLAND - Street, Low, McNab.