Author Topic: Patrick FLOOD - immigration to Australia between 1817 and 1855  (Read 12617 times)

Offline Coriolana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Patrick FLOOD - immigration to Australia between 1817 and 1855
« on: Sunday 08 February 04 02:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am researching my FLOOD line from Sydney.

Patrick Flood, born bet 1817-1830 in Dublin immigrated to Australia (I haven't found out how or when - he doesn't appear to be a convict though).  He married/partnered Helen (Ellen) Green abt 1865 and lived in the Gundagai area of New South Wales.  Their first child was born abt 1855.

I have not been able to find any concrete details on Patrick's origin.  I don't know if any research can be done from the Dublin end to determine when he left there.  I can't find a record of his entry into Australia.

Any assistance would be appreciated.  ;D

regards
Carol
ALLAN BARWICK BIRMINGHAM BRYANT BURTON CAMERON CASSELS CELEY CUTHBERT DAVIES DAWSON DEAN DWYER EDDIE FITZGERALD FLOOD FLOYER GRANT GREEN HAWKINS HIMES LEVANS LONG MASTERMAN MAXWELL MCINTYRE MCLENNAN MCPHERSON MCVIE MOSS NORMAN ODONNELL PLACE PLAYER PULLEY ROGERS ROPE SINCLAIR STEED & OTHERS

Offline Shirley Sweetland

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:Patrick FLOOD - immigration to Australia between 1817 and 1855
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 May 04 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi if you go to www.bdm.nsw.gov.au you can do a free search. I found Thomas, Job and Henry all born in Gundagai.

Happy hunting!

SS
Perth
Western Australia
Sweetland-Sth London/Wilts
Dalton- Battersea/Mitcham/Merton/City of London
Godwin- Wilts
Murison- Scotland/USA/Quebec
Skinner/Latter/Moon - Tonbridge & Wadhurst
Banks - Merton, Surrey

Offline Coriolana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re:Patrick FLOOD - immigration to Australia between 1817 and 1855
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 May 04 07:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I have searched the NSW BDM.  Patrick was not born here.  Those people you found are his children and their birth certificates do not contain any information to assist me to determine Patrick's immigration.

regards
Carol
ALLAN BARWICK BIRMINGHAM BRYANT BURTON CAMERON CASSELS CELEY CUTHBERT DAVIES DAWSON DEAN DWYER EDDIE FITZGERALD FLOOD FLOYER GRANT GREEN HAWKINS HIMES LEVANS LONG MASTERMAN MAXWELL MCINTYRE MCLENNAN MCPHERSON MCVIE MOSS NORMAN ODONNELL PLACE PLAYER PULLEY ROGERS ROPE SINCLAIR STEED & OTHERS

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick FLOOD - immigration to Australia between 1817 and 1855
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 April 05 23:46 BST (UK) »
Rather a long shot, but I am interested in the name Flood in Dublin.  My ancestor Joseph Brooks, weaver of Coventry b Dublin c.1795 (parents Richard & Eleanor) had a first marriage with Mary Ann Flood c.1820 (possibly Dublin). She died of Asiatic cholera in Coventry 19 Sept 1849.  I am wondering whether she had a brother Patrick as the time schedule seems very close.  If I do find any link in my researches I will certainly let you know.
Graham
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.

Offline Coriolana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 02 April 05 01:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My information on Patrick Flood is pretty vague.  I have an estimated date of birth of 1817 to 1830.  He never married his partner Helen/Ellen Green, so I have no marriage certificate to get details of his parents etc.  The information on his birthplace has come from the birth certificates of his children.  Sorry I can't be any more specific.  If you work out that my Patrick could be related to your Flood family could you please let me know :-)

Carol 

Offline goobies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 12 January 07 06:25 GMT (UK) »
my patrick flood was born 1793 ireland powercourt county wicklow he married a mary donovan on 31st jan 1823 they had eight children patrick had a hotel at prospect called diggers arms he died on 23rd feb 1859 prospect nsw his wife mary donovan was the daughter of elanore lawler and michael john donovan
alot of people doing this line
ryan,cottee,turvey,ferguson,beetson,barker governor,yeomans,Cassidy,cawdell,smith fom Goolma mudgee Cudgegong Nyngan giralambone walgett moama nanima nsw cummeragunja Victoria,qld and new zealand .
woolley flood nsw uk.
mcdevitt nsw. slattery nsw.
bradshaw green Hawkesbury Coonabarabran burra bee dee,east indies
barker,wood,staley Derbyshire boag,patullio,donn duan uk,
ohara  Ireland Hawkesbury.
wales smith Tasmania,redfern botany nsw

Offline Coriolana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 January 07 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Sorry that doesn't seem to be the same Patrick as mine.

Good luck with your research.

Carol

Offline goobies

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 January 07 07:14 GMT (UK) »
thats a shame if i come across anything i will let you know lots of floods
ryan,cottee,turvey,ferguson,beetson,barker governor,yeomans,Cassidy,cawdell,smith fom Goolma mudgee Cudgegong Nyngan giralambone walgett moama nanima nsw cummeragunja Victoria,qld and new zealand .
woolley flood nsw uk.
mcdevitt nsw. slattery nsw.
bradshaw green Hawkesbury Coonabarabran burra bee dee,east indies
barker,wood,staley Derbyshire boag,patullio,donn duan uk,
ohara  Ireland Hawkesbury.
wales smith Tasmania,redfern botany nsw

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 January 07 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol  :)

Patrick's death certificate may have useful information on it.  If the informant on the certificate was aware of it, info such as parents, birthplace and how long in the colony could be recorded.  Worth a try anyway.

Other places to look are immigration records.  There are some online indexes for NSW here:
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/indexes_online_3357.asp
Victoria:
http://www.access.prov.vic.gov.au/public/PROVguides/PROVguide023/PROVguide023.jsp
Bounty scheme index:
http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=7385

Are you sure he wasn't a convict? Good luck with your search  :)