Author Topic: Interpretation of Marriage Cert  (Read 10194 times)

Offline ChrisAllonby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Interpretation of Marriage Cert
« on: Friday 26 May 06 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I've just obtined a marriage cert from 1864 and it raises a few questions:

The wife's father is not listed at all - why might that be?

The marriage took place in Ulverston Parish Church. Will the church records reveal anything that is not already on the certificate?

Thanks,
Chris.
Allonby, Burns, Ibison, Park

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
Re: Interpretation of Marriage Cert
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 May 06 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

Marriage certificates are always exciting to receive  ;D

There are loads of reasons why a fathers name might not appear, but firstly can I ask

How old is the bride, and do you have any reason to doubt her age? also is the marriage by banns or license?

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 May 06 21:14 BST (UK) »
The most obvious answer for the missing father's name is that she was illegitimate and therefore her father was not acknowledged.

The GRO/local register office certificate is supposed to contain exactly the same information as the entry in the parish registers.  The only difference is that the parish register will contain the original handwriting of all parties.  This is where you can see your relative's signature - or X if that is how they chose to sign.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ChrisAllonby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 May 06 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendi,

The marriage was by banns and I think the bride's age is about right (26), but there's a bit of a mystery, as is often the case. Here's some more information; what do you think:

The marriage is between John Park (25) and Isabella Miller (26) by banns in Ulverston Parish church, 1st Oct 1864. I've only recently found out about the marriage because it's just been listed on FreeBMD follwing the recent update. Isabella Park remarried in 1888 and the certificate from that marriage gives her father's name as Dewhurst Bilsburry. This might suggest that the marriage to John Park was her second, and that previously she had been married to someone called Miller. However, I've not been able to find such a marriage - and - she's a spinster on the certificate from 1864. I think also that she had a daughter whose surname was Miller. The birth certidicate of  Isabella and John's son gives her former name as Miller. I can't quite work it out. :-\

Chris.

Offline ChrisAllonby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 May 06 22:06 BST (UK) »
Nell,

Thanks for that information. Both parties apparently couldn't write. See my previous post - any thoughts? Thanks,
Chris.

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 May 06 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

As the marriage is by banns and the age seems about right there was no reason for her to fib about anything, unless it was that she was not a spinster ??? or as Nell said was illegitimate and Miller is her mothers last name?

"Dewhurst Bilsburry" what a great name ;D

I presume you have tried to find her birth on IGI, were you also aware that the index images are available to search online at FreeBMD or (I think they are still available via Ancestry.com under their Beta Index - keep hunting it'll come together  ::)

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline ChrisAllonby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 May 06 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendi,

Yes. Dewhurst Bilsbury was a real find. Being such an unusual name it quickly enabled me to go back three further generations via the 1851 census and the IGI. I was hoping the marriage cert I've just obtained would also have Isabella Miller's father listed as Dewhurst, but no such luck.

Another item of info on the cert was John Park's father's name and occupation. Thomas Park was a basket maker, but I can't find any record of him in the 1861/51/41 censuses.

Like you say, I'll keep hunting!

Regards,
Chris.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 May 06 22:47 BST (UK) »
Crickey, what a name.!!!

I have found a Dewhurst (and variant) Bilsbury with his wife and family in Colne in the early 1800s and maybe another one in Lancaster.  Heading northwards - they must be related surely.

Dewhurst Bilsberry the younger (no less!) was prosecuted at the Lancashire Quarter Sessions held at Preston around Michaelmas 1829 and also in 1828.  Wonder what he did?

Aha - looking further, Dewhurst Billsberry senior and his wife Hannah (found in Colne above) were removed from Colne to Gargrave in Yorkshire in May 1828.  At the same time Dewhurst Billsberry junior and his son David (no wife mentioned) were also removed to Gargrave in Yorkshire.

How interesting!  I couldn't believe that name was real at first!  ;D

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ChrisAllonby

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 May 06 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell,

LIke I say, it's been a real help to have such an unusual name to search for. My assumption is that all the names you mention are related. With a christian name like Dewhurst they must be. Interestingly, the name Dewhurst has been carried forward to the present day as a Christian name in my family.

Is there an easy way to search the censuses for occupation (basket maker) and father /son combination? I expect the answer is NO, but maybe there's another way?

Chris.