Author Topic: Duchess of Northumberland  (Read 4565 times)

Offline gbugden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Duchess of Northumberland
« on: Saturday 27 May 06 04:57 BST (UK) »
Hello
My ancestor Margaret Roach(or Roche) was one of those women who came on the Duchess of Northumberland from Cork to Sydney 27 February 1835 as part of the  female emigration scheme between Great Britain and the Australian colonies. I wonder what advice people can give me about finding more about this woman? I have no Birth data at all.

I know that women who emigrated under this scheme had to obtain references and that the final check was an interview by the committee or its agent. Perhaps these records are available..does anyone know?

Cheers Greg Bugden

Offline MC

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Duchess of Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 March 08 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Greg

I am pretty much in the same boat. I am researching two sisters, Ellen & Mary Collins who arrived on the Duchess of Northumberland 3rd Oct 1836. They turned up in Yass - can I ask where your girl ended up & whom did she work for when she got here? Also, how long was she in the Colony before she married? I was wondering if they were indented to someone.

I assume you have been to State Records NSW? I noticed earlier ships gave more info than mine.

Regards material on Emigrant ships from Cork, Co Cork.
I have read that primary sources for some Immigrant ships from Cork to various destinations are the newspapers of the time and the minute books of the Foundling Hospital and House of Industry. The latter were opened in 1747 on the site now occupied by Murphys Brewery at the Junction of Leitrim St, Watercourse Road and Upper John st. It closed when the new workhouse opened on the Douglas Road in 1840. (On our ship, 42 of the girls were from the House of Industry - but they were not identified individually)

Also, from 1831 - 1838, information on emigration to 'His Majesty's Colonies, Australia, America etc was provided by Liet. Charles Friend RN the Government Emigration agent in cork. His office was at No1 Warrens place (now called Parnell place)

Ireland's Archive Office would I think, have his records.

I was about to put a look-up re the Collins sisters myself when I saw your insert.
MC

Down, Ire: Rourke;
Armagh, Ire: Quinn, Read;
London, Eng: Clunne;
Kent, Eng: Clunne, Outred, Piplar;

Offline gbugden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 March 08 02:56 GMT (UK) »
MC
Thanks for your interest. You can read my limited findings about Margaret Roach at my website about her husband, John Bugden. Here: www.bugden.bigpondhosting.com Follow the link "wives".
I make mention of Elizabeth Rushen's book on the Female Emigration Scheme there and provide a link to her site as well. You might find it of use. I am actually waiting for  her reply about the Lieut. Charles Friend you mentioned in the post. Perhaps she knows where his records are archived.

There is also a pic on my site of the Duchess of Northumberland that you might like to have.
Greg

Offline MC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 March 08 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that Greg. Your website is impressive. I will contact Elizabeth Rushen also, thank you.  If I find any other info regards the female emigration we are both interested in, I will be sure to pass it on as well.

Forgive me if I am telling you things you might already know, but...Regards what was written on those certificates of John Budgen.

Were you aware that the 'District of Airds' was originally located between Bunbury Curran and the George's River, and it's said to have spanned virtually from Liverpool to Appin in one direction, Then from George's River to Bringelly in the other?

Campbell-Town, came into being Dec 1820, when Macquarie officially set boundaries for a Church, school, and burial ground, and that's where it stopped really until around 1827. Because of its location it would have fallen under the then 'District of Airds', as would other places, such as Minto etc. (Todays 'Airds' a smaller suburb, commenced in 1976)

Originally, Lower Minto, I've been told, covered an area that went through to todays Narellan...but still a heck of a long way from Windsor, even by todays standard!
Upper Minto is where it is today pretty much, I think - cut across the middle by Bunburry Curran Creek (Canal now), and situated most on the low side!

The brothers Kearnes were granted land early 1820's on Raby Road, Campbelltown, and they called their property Epping Forrest . Wealthy farmers, their house was made of brick. The present suburb Kearns was made in honour of the family.

William Kearnes caused something of a scandal in 1823/24 so I know he was living at Epping Forrest at that time. His neighbour, Joseph Ward, left his Minto farm in the care of his 14 yrs old daughter, while he went to England. While he was gone Kearnes seduced her. Kearnes went on to marry another lady,  while little Mary Ann was left holding the baby, as they say. It was a big court case.

Just a bit of trivia. I hope it is new info and of interest
Maureen

Offline gbugden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 04:45 GMT (UK) »
MC
I received this yesterday from the Irish Archives about Lieut. Charles Friend:

"In reply to your query below, the National Archives of Ireland does not hold the records of the 19th century Government Emigration Agents in Ireland; if such records do survive they are likely to be held by the National Archives in London as part of their Colonial Office (CO) collection – the relevant reference numbers may be C0 384 to 386."

It is not much, but it is another lead. I have not had a chance to to anything with the info, but if you would like to run with it, there it is.
Cheers
Greg

Offline MC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 04:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Greg, I will see what I can do with this and if successful I will let you know.
maureen

Offline gbugden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Maureen
I meant to say thank you for the information about the geography of the places mentioned on John Bugden's TOL. I am very grateful actually. I am keen to collect this sort of detail, and I am glad you provided it for me. You seem to have Done a lot of work in this area.

Thanks very much
 Greg

Offline MC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 March 08 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Yes Greg, I have done a lot of work in the area but I am a bit rusty on it...but glad you were interested. Actually, I think St Peters Church was built around 1823 - amid st bark huts and a school, but I am sure the Catholic Church on top of Broughton St was also erected in 1824...St John's Catholic is not used anymore but remains standing, & James Ruse buried there with other early Pioneers.  The CofE, St Peter's is still in excellent condition, and as well as the many Pioneers buried there, is the famous (ghost) Fred Fisher.

I must get on with it, I have got a busy day tomorrow...Regards Lieut Charles Friend. When you told me that his records might be in the British Archives, I knew there would be a strong chance we had them here in Australia, because of the AJCP (Australian Joint Copying Project). I rang NSW State Records, but they did not have them there, but suggested I contact NSW State Library or Canberra Nat Aust Library. ( I found out both would have the same for Colonials)

The Librarian found a CO 385, in their Mitchell Library special collections, but they appeared to start from 1847...so it does not fill me with too much confidence, but it looks like I will have to go there myself and fossick around to see what I can find...which can't be for a while though, as I have a lot on at present.
Maureen