Author Topic: William Matson born 1800 (possibly in Alkham?)  (Read 791 times)

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Matson born 1800 (possibly in Alkham?)
« on: Saturday 27 May 06 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I'm totally stuck on this person so any help really apreciated.
I cannot find any records for William before his marriage 14th January 1830 in Hougham to Jane Bromley (born 16th February 1806).
I have found him in the census records and know he was a farmer (eg. in 1841 he was at Soles Farm, Nonington).
I know that William and Jane had 12 children.
The mystery is that I cannot find anything at all about William before the Marriage in 1830.
I have found several Matson families in East kent but none with a son William of the right age.
I anyone has anything to help me find the parents of William I would really be grateful for your help.
Roger.
MATSON-East Kent.  HURST- Oxfordshire.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Matson born 1800 (possibly in Alkham?)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 May 06 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger

Do you think this could be William's mother in 1851 (living nextdoor to your William) or would it be Jane's mother ............... assuming that the MATSON granchildren possibly belong to William and Jane ???

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,139334.msg628247.html#msg628247

Have you checked the Alkham parish registers for William's baptism?

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Matson born 1800 (possibly in Alkham?)
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 May 06 16:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks casalguidi.
Alice and John are two children of John Matson who was a son of William and Jane.
However the dates don't fit.
I don't have a Mary of the right age either.
So although these children seem as though they are relatives, I can't tie any of them in.
Just to add to that problem, I don't have anyone with the name Doves either.
I believe that William was probably the son of one of the children of John Matson of Dover (died 13th November 1752) and Lucy Veel (died 27th July 1768) I also believe that this couple had 5 children of whom 3 were sons. John, William and Henry. My current thinking is that William could have been a son of Henry, but this is more guesswork.
There could be a solution in an illegitimate birth by a Matson lady but I can't locate one of the right age although a William Finch and a Sussanna (no surname) did record a birth of a William in 1800 at St. Marys, Dover.
This would explain the appearance of William having a middle name of Finch when he recorded the christening of his daughter Caroline in 1848.
I therefore wonder if Finch may have been the name of his mothers family?
OR did he have the name Matson as his Mother was a Sussanna Matson and raised him and he then added Finch when he discovered his father?
Sounds plausible except that I can't find a Sussanna Matson of the right age either!
Frustrating!!!
MATSON-East Kent.  HURST- Oxfordshire.