Author Topic: two People similar names  (Read 6364 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: two People similar names
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 May 06 22:17 BST (UK) »
The odds are lengthening on Granny Ann Nicol! I've just found this birth entry on IGI:

JEAN FERRIER  Christening: 31 JUL 1752 Saint Vigeans, Angus, Scotland
Parents:
     Father:     DAVID FERRIER    
     Mother:     JEAN LYELL

Parents' names look too much like children No. 6 and 7's names on my original list of children for William Low and Jane Peter!

There is only one death showing in 1872 on SP for a J*(jean) Low other name Peter with a birth year of 1799. Jean, this must be the one you have viewed. Following through with this option, you would expect to find William Low (with M-I-L Ferrier) a widower in the 1851/61 censuses or mother showing as deceased in the MCs of her children who married after 1855.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 May 06 23:19 BST (UK) »
...............but then again, maybe Granny Ann is still in the picture! I've just seen the 1861 Census with Willliam Low and sons David and Thomas. Also at home is grandson William Low Sturrock, son of Betsy Low ....and Jane still alive and well. William and Jane are showing as age 61, which then fits the birth year of 1799 of the Jane who died in 1872 with parents Andrew and Ann Nicol.

From the census, William's birthplace is showing as Carmyllie which fits this submitted entry on IGI:

WILLIAM LOW Christening: 26 JAN 1798  Carmyllie, Angus, Scotland
Parents: Father: THOMAS LOW Mother: MAGDALON SCOTT

Jane's birth place is down as Inverkeilor (as per the banns for her marriage to William).

Jean, leaving aside the question of Jane Peter's parents, do we have the right family group for her, ie children as shown on IGI?

Monica

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 May 06 05:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Jean, are you worried that the Jane/Jean PETER who married William LOW in Inverkeilor in 1822, and had 9 children with him between 1822 and 1846, is sometimes referred to as Jane and sometimes as Jean?

If so, you do not need to be.  Jane and Jean were used interchangeably in Scotland to refer to one and the same person.  It is not a problem - it is normal practice.

Unless I have missed something, there is no evidence anywhere on this thread to support any hypothesis that there were two William LOW=Jane/Jean PETER marriages.  There is one marriage in the IGI, one appropriate set of children to parents of those names, and one appropriate family in the 1841 census (on FreeCEN).

I take it that you found the parents of Jane/Jean (PETER) LOW - Andrew PETER & Ann NICOLL - from her death certificate.  If that death certificate identifies Jane/Jean as the wife of William LOW, why are we looking for other persons called Jane/Jean PETER?

Incidentally, re that middle name of Ferrier, as AMBLY suggested it could well come from a Minister or a relative or a friend.  I notice that there are a couple of PETER=FERRIER marriages in Arbroath (John PETER=Jean FERRIER 1785, John PETER=Ann FERRIER 1794).

JAP

Offline j.tomi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 May 06 06:02 BST (UK) »
 yes i understand that the name is interchangeable but there are still two individual's in this one Jane Peter is Daughter of John Peter And Jane Ferrier  and two Jean Peter is daughter of Andrew Peter And Ann Nicholl see my problem althought i can only find one marriage and have only traced one death of Jean Low parents Andrew Low And Ann Low nee nicholl
i am still trying to trace Jane Peter
Tahanks for your response
Regards
Jean

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 May 06 07:29 BST (UK) »
No Jean, I am sorry but I simply cannot understand why you think there is a problem.

I do not understand why you are trying to trace any Jane/Jean PETER other than the daughter of Andrew PETER and Ann NICOL.

Nor do I understand why you are specifically trying to trace the Jane PETER bap 1796 St Vigeans, daughter of John PETER and Jane FERRIER.

Perhaps if you explain in detail how you have traced backwards from (say) your Ggfather, we might be able to help.

JAP 

Offline j.tomi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 May 06 15:45 BST (UK) »
let me explain my grandfather james Lowe his parents were Robert Lowe and Ann Hamilton
Robert Lowe His Parents were James Lowe And Elizabeth Mcnicoll
I then Traced Roberts Father William Low Married to Jane Peter
i then thought i had traced Jane Peter who's parents were John Peter And Jane Ferrier
only to find when i Found A death entry for Jean Peter Her Parents were Andrew Peter and Anne nicoll this is where i am stuck Jean Low Died 24/5/1872 age 73 this would make her born 1799 death registered by husband William Low
does this help with making you understansd a bit better
thanks for your help also for Monic's great effort to help put me on the right opath
i'm really grateful to you both
regards
Jean

Also Thanks to Minica 's great effort

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 May 06 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,

It makes it even more difficult to understand why you think you have a problem.

There is no problem.

let me explain my grandfather james Lowe his parents were Robert Lowe and Ann Hamilton
Robert Lowe His Parents were James Lowe And Elizabeth Mcnicoll
I then Traced Roberts Father William Low Married to Jane Peter
I presume this is a typo and that what you mean is that you traced James's father William LOW married to Jane PETER

i then thought i had traced Jane Peter who's parents were John Peter And Jane Ferrier
The important word here is that you only thought you had traced the right Jane PETER.  As it turned out, you had not.

only to find when i Found A death entry for Jean Peter Her Parents were Andrew Peter and Anne nicoll this is where i am stuck Jean Low Died 24/5/1872 age 73 this would make her born 1799 death registered by husband William Low
This death certificate shows that the Jane PETER who married William LOW was the daughter of Andrew PETER and Ann NICOLL.

So this means that you can forget all about Jane PETER, daughter of John PETER and Jane FERRIER.  :)

Incidentally, I presume that you have not been able to find a record on ScotlandsPeople of a marriage of an Andrew PETER to an Ann NICOLL, nor a record of the birth/baptism of a Jane/Jean PETER to these parents.
That is not surprising at all.
Statutory Registration did not begin in Scotland until 1855.
It is often the case that there are no records to be found on ScotlandsPeople (or anywhere else) of pre-1855 marriages or births/baptisms.

JAP

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 May 06 18:07 BST (UK) »
I think I'm begining to see where this family trace may have gone off line...I think!

1. From the info you posted Jean regarding the line up from your grandfather James, you said his parents were Robert Lowe and Ann Hamilton. Now, from SP, I believe Robert and Ann were married in 1882 in Bridgeton, Glasgow City (the only marriage showing so must be them).

2. Again, you say that Robert Lowe's parents were James Lowe and Elizabeth McNicol. I assume this is from Robert's marriage cert. This is the point that I think you may have gone wrong. It is here at least that we do have TWO couples with those names, one in Angus and one in Glasgow City.

3. For the Angus couple, there is a marriage entry on IGI and children showing:

JAMES LOW  Marriages: Spouse: BETSY MCNICOL         
Marriage:  01 OCT 1849  Saint Vigeans, Angus, ScotlandScotland, British Isles

Children:
1. BETTY MCNICOL LOW Christening: 23 AUG 1847 Kirriemuir, Angus, Scotland
2. ALEXANDER LOW Christening: 05 JUL 1849 Kirriemuir, Angus, Scotland
3. JESSIE WATSON LOW Birth: 25 JAN 1850 Christening: 06 FEB 1850 Saint Vigeans, Angus, Scotland
4. DAVID FERRIER LOW Birth: 18 DEC 1851 Christening: 01 JAN 1852 Saint Vigeans, Angus, Scotland
5. MATILDA LOW  Birth: 14 JAN 1852 Christening: 02 FEB 1852 Kirriemuir, Angus, Scotland
6. JANE ADAM LOW Birth: 03 DEC 1853 Christening: 15 FEB 1854 Kirriemuir, Angus, Scotland
7. JAMES LOW Birth: 09 MAY 1857 Kirriemuir, Angus, Scotland
8. ELIZABETH LOW Birth: 02 MAY 1859 Kirriemuir, Angus, Scotland
9. MARY LOW Birth: 23 SEP 1861 Kirriemuir, Angus, Scotland

Now I have no idea if the James Low here is the son of William Low and Jane Peter (parents Andrew and Ann Nicol) without viewing death certs. What I have seen, from the free searches on SP, is a death entry for a Betsy Low, other name McNicoll, in Kirriemuir Angus in 1875 with a birth year of 1820.

4. For the Glasgow couple with the same names, I can't see a marriage entry on IGI, however, these are the children showing on IGI:

1. JOHN COUTTS LOW Birth: 27 APR 1856 Bridgeton, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
2. JAMES LOWE Birth: 11 MAR 1858 Bridgeton, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
3. ROBERT ADAMSON LOW  Birth: 06 JUL 1860 Bridgeton, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland   
4. JOHN ANDERSON LOW Birth: 21 JAN 1863 Bridgeton, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
5. THOMAS LOWE Birth: 06 MAR 1865 Anderston, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

Now, I am thinking that Robert Adamson Low, No.4 above, is your g grandfather. It would also fit the time and place for his marriage to Ann Hamilton in 1882.

There is also a death of a Betsy McNicol in 1865 in Bridgeton, Glasgow City (on the year that son Thomas was born if we have the same Betsy). Her age is unrecorded so it was probably illegible on the cert and has not been indexed.

5. My next question is how did you make the connection from Robert Low in Glasgow to the James Low (father) in Angus? If you have gone only from the data on IGI, this may explain where you may have gone astray. There isn't any marriage showing on IGI for the Glasgow James and Betsy McNicol (only the Angus couple) and that may have added to your confusion.

If Robert's mother Betsy did die after/around the time she gave birth to last son Thomas in 1865, you could perhaps see that cert and check whether husband James is still alive or deceased. It would also say on Robert's marriage cert. whether his parents were alive or had already passed away.

There are two deaths, for example, of a James Low* (some spellings of the name are coming up as Lowe so probably good to use a wildcard to pick up on both versions) in Bridgeton with a birth year of 1825 +/- 10 years.

You haven't said, but have you looked at any census info on the family of Robert in Glasgow. This would also help confirm birth places for parents, in particular James.

I do think the issue of Jane Peter's parents (if indeed she turns out to be connected to your line) in not relevant at this stage. You need to go back and verify 100% the parents of James Low who was having children in Glasgow NOT Angus.

Regards.

Monica

Offline j.tomi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 28 May 06 18:42 BST (UK) »
thanks Monica this is now beginnign to make sense on Roberts marriage which is the one you stated his father is James Low Blacksmith mother betsy nicoll deceased i then looked at the 1861 census james low was from St Vigeans this is where i got it from as it stated he was a blacksmith also on john anderson low birth states marriage of parents as oct 1 1848
does this help
regards
Jean