Author Topic: When is a link not a link?  (Read 2616 times)

Offline Lyndon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
When is a link not a link?
« on: Saturday 27 May 06 18:35 BST (UK) »
My 2 xg grandmother is Emma Dean, born Winscombe, Somerset around 1820 (according to the 1851 census). Her father's name is Henry Dean (from her marriage certificate).

I have found Emily Dean, d. of Henry Dean and Mary baptised in Winscombe February 1821. There is another Henry Dean in the parish producing children at the same time, but no Emma around 1820.

Not much doubt, I thought. this is my family. Except - according to the baptism records, in 1821 Henry Dean was a labourer. In 1838 on the marriage certificate, Henry Dean was a 'Gentleman'. How likely do you reckon it is that I have found my man? Was Emma telling porkies at the marriage? The other Henry Dean in Winscombe at the time was also a labourer.

Lyndon
Watkins - Swansea. Thomas - Carmarthenshire. Stock - Rowberrow. Jarman - Montgomeryshire. Duck - Calne. Watts - Frome.

Offline astral14

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: When is a link not a link?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 May 06 18:49 BST (UK) »
Probably unlikely. I don't think a non-gentleman would have got away with declaring themselves as such. What was the occupation if any of Emma's intended? It's unlikely if he was a gentleman (but not impossible) that he would have married the dau of someone lesser. Perhaps Emma's family were abroad?

Offline Lyndon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 May 06 18:59 BST (UK) »
Emma's spouse was a carpenter.

Lyndon
Watkins - Swansea. Thomas - Carmarthenshire. Stock - Rowberrow. Jarman - Montgomeryshire. Duck - Calne. Watts - Frome.

Offline astral14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 May 06 10:29 BST (UK) »
Are you sure it says gentleman and not journeyman?
Your plot has thickened with that information. Sorry. I just thought yours might be a little like parts of my family - elusive because they were abroad.
Good luck on your hunt.

Offline Lyndon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 May 06 12:33 BST (UK) »
I'm certain that the copy of the marriage marriage certificate that I have says 'Gentleman'. But this wouldn't be the first time I have seen a mistake on a marriage certificate. I had one where the occupation of the groom was given as 'Farmer'. This puzzled me as his father had been a currier. Then the penny dropped. It should have said Tanner nor Farmer. But that is another story.

Thanks for your thoughts. I now think the most likely scenario is that I do have the right parents, but that Henry Dean's occupation has been transcribed incorrectly on the marriage certificate.

I feel a 'Dear Registrar' letter coming on. It's obviously a sensible place to start anyway. Thanks for helping jogging me out of the running around in circles that I was getting into!

Lyndon

Offline astral14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 May 06 13:53 BST (UK) »
Bets wishes with your search!  :)

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 May 06 15:12 BST (UK) »
You probably know this, but there is an 1841 census entry at Winscombe for a couple Henry and Mary Dean. Henry is a "Farmer" . This is for the hamlet Woodborough which is where Emma is born on one census isn't it? I think it is not out of the question for a farm labourer in 1821 to be a farmer by 1841 and if his daughter was upwardly mobile she might call him  a gentleman in 1838  ;)
In 1851 this Henry is "Farmer occup 3 acres (no lab " so doesn't seem to have had a huge farm.  A son George at home on the 1841 census seems to be in Bristol in 1851 and 1861, then moves to Lancashire.
It might be worth looking to see what George's baptism says for his father's occupation.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lyndon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 May 06 15:40 BST (UK) »
Looks like I'm on my way. Thanks a lot. Emma was clearly upwardly mobile. Her husband became part owner of a successful smelting works in Swansea, and then a Wine and Spirit Merchant.

...but to call her father, a farmer of 3 acres, a 'Gentleman'? That's pushing the boundaries!

George's baptism still records the father's occupation as Labourer in 1825.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Lyndon