Author Topic: Penfold in Plaxtol, Kent  (Read 9304 times)

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Penfold in Plaxtol, Kent
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi guys
I am so excited with this new message board. Frosty...it's me , deb again, ....I have been doing a lot of research on our William and Bessie and have his birth cert ...it has confirmed that his dad was indeed THOMAS penfold who married SOPHIA(nee Orchard).....
I have also been using the Kent Romany message boards and have come into contact with a cousin who's father , christopher is the brother of our thomas. i have quite a bit of confirmed info....let me know if you have lost my email address or if you would like me to forward all my info to you vis email.
ps; my mum said it was lovely meeting you altho she had wished it was under better circumstances. hope evryone is doing well.

to Robbyd: have you tried the bbc kent romany message boards. i don't know the webaddress but if you google ...GYPSY CORNWALL  PENFOLD it will appear ...go to the message boards...there are also archived messages  that may be useful. the people are very kind and most helpful...most of them are still living the romany life style.
i don't know if our penfolds are related to yours ...i will look into it ... i do have a John penfold born in 1834 but he was baptised in Hampshire...his parents were John and harriet pinfold (nee james ) who married in august 1831 in pimperne dorset.
hope to hear from you both
take care
deb
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 18:11 BST (UK) »
oops correction; i said that i had williams Birth cert...that meant to read william and bessie's marriage certificate where it states the fathers name...william dad was Thomas penfold ...hawker and bessie's father was John Palmer. Frosty by the way i have also researched Bessie Palmers side of the family and have come quite far especially with the help of the great people on this message board. if you go to the cornwall board and look under my posting of "Cornish Mystery" you will find out all about bessie's family ......Blimey ...it is sooooooo intricate and an unbelievable story ....
sorry robbyd,  for using your post  to talk to frosty.   :-\
deb

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 June 06 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Casalguidi, you mentioned  "Romany Routes".  I have also come across this 'magazine'(?) whilst googling the Penfold/Orchard names...... does one have to subscribe to it or can it's contents be viewed online somehow?
Hope this is not a silly question !!!?
thanks
Deb

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 June 06 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb

It is the Romany & Traveller Family History Society journal for members

http://www.rtfhs.org.uk/

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline FIFI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 June 06 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert

I see from the transcript of the 1861 census of Hampton Wick that Casalguidi gave you, that the Grandson was born in Norwood. At about this time there were a family of Coopers one of the children of Robert Cooper went of to marry a Susan Penfold who was a widower at time.

After a while a few travelers settled in Croydon which is quite near and once again Penfold and Cooper Families are to be found around Wilford Road and Forster Road and a few buried in Queens Road cemetery.

With regards to the Romany & Travelers Family History Site it is worth a look at the links page from there you can go to Passing Through and also a link to Liverpool University site where they have a large collection of Romany details.

Hope this is of some help

Fifi
Cooper & Williams Norwood & Croydon (Gipsies)
Mills Mitcham & Croydon (Gipsies)
Gomm Croydon,Streatham,Chalfont st Petera
Bulgin Surrey & Kent

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 07 June 06 14:42 BST (UK) »
Just a quick note to say that the "Passing Through" site is now hosted here on Rootschat

http://romany.rootschat.net/

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline FIFI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 June 06 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
Not sure if this will help or if you have this info

marriage of Robert Penfold & Mary Ann Saunders

10th May 1881 at Holy Saviours Church Croydon know then as St.Saviours
Roberts  was 21 his farther John Penfold was decd living at 4 Holly Cottages, Pawsons Road.
Mary Ann Saunders age 18 farther William Saunders Hawker also at Holly Cottages Wittiness Noah & Janet Warne also it was bans not license.
(Janet would be trainet)

I have other Penfold marriage details i.e Rose Roberts daughter  and a couple of others if you would like then let me know.
Cooper & Williams Norwood & Croydon (Gipsies)
Mills Mitcham & Croydon (Gipsies)
Gomm Croydon,Streatham,Chalfont st Petera
Bulgin Surrey & Kent

Offline robbyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 July 06 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Fifi

Sorry it's taken so long to reply but l have been away on holiday, yes l would love any further info you may have.

Many Thanks & Kind Regards

Robert

Offline coopers pup

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 11 February 07 19:39 GMT (UK) »
to fifi
I lived at 9 Wilford road until 1963 my grandparents were Harriet (Tiny) and James Cooper both in Queens Road old Tom and Harry Penfold lived at no 15 before the war there were over 80 dwellings after only 16! I have many memories which include all the residents its a pity that they should become lost
Hi Robert

I see from the transcript of the 1861 census of Hampton Wick that Casalguidi gave you, that the Grandson was born in Norwood. At about this time there were a family of Coopers one of the children of Robert Cooper went of to marry a Susan Penfold who was a widower at time.

After a while a few travelers settled in Croydon which is quite near and once again Penfold and Cooper Families are to be found around Wilford Road and Forster Road and a few buried in Queens Road cemetery.

With regards to the Romany & Travelers Family History Site it is worth a look at the links page from there you can go to Passing Through and also a link to Liverpool University site where they have a large collection of Romany details.

Hope this is of some help

Fifi