Author Topic: Don't you just find...  (Read 2033 times)

Offline jinks

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Thomas Pye
    • View Profile
Re: Don't you just find...
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 May 06 16:22 BST (UK) »
A couple of years ago my Sister suddenly became
interested in Family History , so I thought great
someone to trail around the Graveyards, to
checking details, go the the record office....BUT no
she decided because I was doing this side of the
family she would concentrate on her husbands.
 ::) ::)

Well at least I have like minded friends, of course
I have friends that are not remotely interested
in Family History and I have to remind myself
when they casually ask 'How the Family History
going?' not to ramble and become quite animated
because I then get this glazing look in their eyes.

Jinks
Ashton Lancashire
Eccles Lancashire
Fletcher Lancashire
Harwood Church/Darwen
Jackson Staffordhire/Worcestershire
Jenkinson Cockerham
Marsden Hoghton Lancashire
Mercer Lancashire/Yorkshire
Pye Wyresdale
Singleton Lancashire
Swarbrick  Longridge
Watt Scotland/Lancashire

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 May 06 16:27 BST (UK) »
Jinks

That's the thing isn't it, not to bore them so they avoid the question.  Trouble is when it becomes an all consuming passion, you want to share every bit with everybody. ::) ::)

They just don't understand us do they!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline CarolBurns

• I am no longer accepting new replies to my topics
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm still looking !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 May 06 19:07 BST (UK) »
I think passionate about our reserach is a beter description than all consuming.

Many are passionate about art, some about music - we are passionate about dead people, graveyards and searching through old records - not strange at all

Or are we?  :-\   lol

Carol
Thomas, Williams,Owen (s),Griffith (s), Jones - Anglesey<br />Burns, Wallace - Northumberland, Ireland, Scotland<br />Horsburgh, Sandilands, Blackhall, Rankine, Rankin, Hilson, Nielson - Scotland <br />Turnbull, Mills, Burgoyne, Burgon - Northumberland, <br />Davidson - Scotland, India, Burma<br /> Lopez - India, Burma<br/>

Offline pipkim

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 May 06 19:33 BST (UK) »
I've always been interested in whats gone before, although never asked enough questions at the right time.

As a child I wanted to be an archaeologist but became a graphic designer.

I always was interested when a colleague talked about their family history and continued to ask them more questions, thinking one day I would like to find were I came from.

It was just nearly a couple of years ago when I started idly googling Genealogy on the internet and had to have some pre 1901 names from the family, so I could do a meaning full search. Now I'm spending tooooo much time on the computer, it has been noted, although the comment "mums looking for dead relatives" has died down. I do wish my husband was interested, but then again imagine the battles for control of the computer. At least I have an Aunt who is very interested and now have recently found relatives I didn't know existed and more's the point, they want to share information.

Part of what I find fascinating is that if it wasn't for all the coincidences that bring people together in the past, we may not be here today.  ;D

Pipkim
Cheshire - Shustoke, Atherstone, Nuneaton, Birmingham
Morgan - Liverpool, Burnley, Leicester, Birmingham (Morjeanstern - France, Liverpool, Burnley, Leicester)
Quinn/Quin - Ireland, Liverpool, Leicester, Birmingham
Bailey/Health/Andrews - Birmingham, (Stepney briefly), Smethwick, Bristol
Thomas/Keen - Oxfordshire, Westminster
Hooker - Odiham, Romsey, IofW, Basingstoke, London St Geo Sq

Census information is Crown Copyright, from National Archives

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 May 06 19:54 BST (UK) »
Pipkim

The more dead ancestors I find the more I marvel at the coincidences that brought me here!! :o :o

I always liked history at school but gave it up for sciences, now I am picking it up again as I get into my family tree.  I have enrolled for a local history course at my local university in September to help me get some good background knowledge of the locality of my family.  I am getting very involved and very boring to those around me! ::) ::)

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 07:27 BST (UK) »
Oh, it's so nice to have Rootschat to share this enthusiasm!!!  ;D ;D

I am lucky enough to belong to a genealogy group through U3A there, so that is a face-to-face place where I can talk about my findings and frustrations, too!!!

Does anyone else belong to such a group?  Apart from the above, you get some good ideas and tips there!  And it doesn't cost anything (apart from the U3A membership which is valid across a large number of courses!)

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 07:30 BST (UK) »
Marie

I've never heard of such groups!  Would be nice if I could find one.

Kerry :)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 June 06 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Kerry

It's an Australian Group - not sure if other places have same - University of the 3rd Age - mainly meant for those past teenage years  ;D  You pay an annual fee and they have courses/programs in all sorts of things - academic and non academic. Sometimes have to pay a little extra for a specific program if resources required.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 08 June 06 07:33 BST (UK) »
Trish,

I believe University of the Third Age started in France, and is a pretty worldwide movement.  I'm sure there would be some branches in England!!  Certainly, I find ours here to be wonderful!  Heaps to do - not enough time to do it in!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland