Author Topic: Help Please  (Read 4428 times)

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help Please
« on: Monday 29 May 06 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hello all
I am after some info on Alexander Munro, i think abt 1823ish  i know he married a Mary McClean at some stage and she passed away...after that he married a Margaret Fraser in 1874,  in Fanellan, parish of Kilarlity,  1876 they had a son Simon b 1876, i cant find them on census but i did find him, (i think) Alexander on the 1891 living with son Simon abt 14 yo and another Son  Duncan 40 and his wife  Isabella, and their 3 children.  at the time they were living at Dochgarroch.  It says that Alexander was a widow,  am looking for info on Alexander, either of his wives, and children......please

Craizi daizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 May 06 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Craizi Daizi

These are the details I can see on IGI in respect of Alexander's marriages:

ALEXR. MUNRO     Marriages: Spouse:  MARY MCLEAN    
Marriage:  12 DEC 1845   Kiltarlity, Inverness, Scotland

ALEXANDER MUNRO  Marriages: Spouse: MARGARET FRASER    
Marriage:  05 JUN 1874  Kiltarlity, Inverness, Scotland

I can only see one child showing for Alexander from his first marriage on IGI:

ANNE MUNRO  Christening:  20 JUN 1847   Free Church, Kiltarlity, Inverness,   
Parents: Father:  ALEXANDER MUNRO Mother: MARY MACLEAN

I have found Alexander, Margaret and Simon living in Urray, Ross & Cromarty in 1881, address Highfield Cottage:

MUNRO Alexander, age 60, general labourer, b. Urray R & C
MUNRO Margaret, age 43, b. Kiltarlity INV
MUNRO Simon, age 4, b. Kilmorack INV

On IGI there are a couple of Alexander Munro births in Urray in 1820 and 1822. In order to confirm if either of these belong to your Alexander, you will need to confirm his parents' names which will be on either his 1874 marriage to Margaret or his death cert.

With this info, you might also be able to find Alexander's siblings either on IGI or also by looking at the 1841 census on FreeCen at http://freecen.rootsweb.com

Regards.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 00:09 BST (UK) »

Thank you Monica for that info... i couldnt see any of it but sometimes a new set of eyes is all it needs...

i have Alexander's parents as Duncan Munro and Anne  Munro  nee Ross  - 

Thanking you soo much

Craizi daizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 00:22 BST (UK) »
You've got six siblings showing for Alexander all born in Urray, but his birth is not showing on IGI. All entries are submitted. Just checking you've also got parents' marriage in 1820, with Banns read at both Cawdor,Nairn and Croy And Dalcross, Inverness.

Regards.

Monica

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hi monica,  Al i have other than what you have found is  : Alexander  Munro born  Urray,  Ross & Cromarty,  in 1823.  The son of Duncan Munro (b20/02/1778 and died 07/07 1856 ) and Anne Ross... I have looked and found him marrying an Anne Rose (mispelling i think for Ross),  I think Alexander had a son Duncan as i have found him living with Duncan and his wife and their 3 children, in 81 Dochgarroch on the 1891 census, it states Duncan as head ,  Alexander  as Father and Simon as brother age 14 scholar, he had Simom from his 2nd marriage...

The only other thing i know is that Duncan is the son of John Munro and Isabella Munro (nee Ross) both father and son married a Ross, 

Craizi daizi

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 00:51 BST (UK) »
These are the children showing for Duncan Munro and Ann Ross on IGI, all submitted entries:

1. MARGARET MUNRO  Birth: 05 MAY 1829 Christening: 11 MAY 1829 Urray, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
2. THOMAS MUNRO Birth: 04 JUN 1831 Christening: 16 JUN 1831 Urray, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
3. ISOBEL MUNRO Birth: 20 JUN 1824 Christening: 02 JUL 1824 Urray, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
4. JOHN MUNRO Birth: 03 MAY 1818 Christening: 15 MAY 1818 Urray, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
5. DUNCAN MUNRO Birth: 13 APR 1833 Christening: 15 APR 1833 Urray, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
6. ANN MUNRO Birth: 23 APR 1827 Christening: 26 APR 1827 Urray, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland

There's also one more:
Isobella Ross Munro     
Birth: 1854, Inverness, Scotland
Death: 1946      
Parents: Father: Duncan Munro Mother: Ann Ross    
Marriages: Spouse:  Duncan McKay    
Marriage: 19 MAY 1881, Inverness, Scotland

I would guess the person who submitted this family line is probably related to Isobella, given the amount of info on her.

Regards.

Monica

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 00:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much  i really appreciate thinfo ...none of it i had ,  so thank you again

Craizi daizi

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 01:04 BST (UK) »
hey Monica,  there was no Alexander in the children..he is the connection,  i have him born 1823 in Urray,  do you think this is still the same family... i spose it would have to be ???

Craiz

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 12:58 BST (UK) »
Craiz

The records showing on IGI for the children of Duncan Munro and Ann Ross are all submitted records and are therefore, firstly not confirmed and secondly not inclusive. You have details of Alexander's parents from his death cert. You also have additional info on him from having viewed the 1855 birth cert. for his daughter Margaret, your direct line. You also have Duncan Munro's death cert. So, you should be fairly confident of Alexander's line up to John Munro and Isabella Ross.

It's a pity that there are no actual extracts from the OPRs on IGI (I assume you've also checked Scotlands People) for Alexander's birth. But this is not uncommon, lots of reasons for this: OPRs didn't survive, children's births not registered by parents, family didn't belong to the traditional Church of Scotland (Presbyterian) etc.

But on the plus side, you have managed to find the key certs. to verify Alexander's line. The other route to try, if you haven't already, is to try and find the family together in the 1841 census. I've looked on Freecen for 1841 and can't see Duncan and Ann, but only 44% of records have been transcribed so far for R & C on FreeCen. You should be able to find them however on the full 1841 census on SP. Given Alexander's age he may or may not still be at home with parents, but certainly the younger siblings should be (which would hopefully tie up with the submitted entries on IGI).

Regards.

Monica