Author Topic: Thomas Ash Evans - Royal Artillery?  (Read 3401 times)

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Ash Evans - Royal Artillery?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 09:04 BST (UK) »
Morning Ken,

He was indeed a member of the Royal Artillery. The Cap badge is of a gun and has the word "Ubique" in a scroll and a crown on top of that sitting on top of the wheel of the gun. It will have  the regimental legend of "Quo fas et gloria ducunt" in scroll work underneath the gun. His collar dogs (badges) are also that of the artillery with the flaming bomb and the single word "Ubique" (meaning Everywhere) in scroll work underneath. Collar dogs were introduced into use by the army about 1924. He has a single chevron on his sleeve which shows him as being a lance bombadier (lance corporal). The white lanyard on his other shoulder would have a clasp knife at the end of it. The diamond shape I think would be a divisional sign although I am not too sure of this. For more information on the RA go to,
www.regiments.org  and then do a search for the regiment
The regimental museum can be found at
www.firepower.org.uk

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Ken_from_Wisbech

• RootsChat Senior
  • GPs - Annie (Pardoe) and Harry Brawn Edwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 09:05 BST (UK) »
I would suggest that although it is not very clear in the photo that his badge has a 'free wheel' (rotatable) so may be RHA, also he's in SD and not BD and I don't know when it changed for the RHA.
Ray

Hi Roy

Thanks for your comment.  Being ex RN, I'm not too sure what SD and BD refer to, though I am assuming that RHA may be Royal Horse Artillery.

We know very little about Thomas's time in the Army, except that at one time he seems to have been statioen in Lancashire and at another time, North Weald Airfield, Essex.
Drake, Blackhall, Roney, Lovell.  Parry, Edwards,  Pardoe, Braun/Brawn/Bryan, all in Bethnal Green, Stepney, Whitechapel, Mile End, Tottenham, Palmers Green and Edmonton area.

http://www.wisbech-town.co.uk

Also a member of the East of London and Fenland  Family History Societies

Offline r973g

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my profile yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 11:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry about my shorthand, you did get RHA right but SD service dress and BD battledress.
(SD= WW1 Style)
Ray

Old Rowley
Sorry you misunderstood my comment, you must be much younger than I
Ray
Greenaway
Greenway
Griggs-Essex & Kent
March-E. Anglia
Morley-Norfolk & Suffolk

Offline Ken_from_Wisbech

• RootsChat Senior
  • GPs - Annie (Pardoe) and Harry Brawn Edwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 13:06 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the explanation, Ray.

Old Rowley -- couple of questions.  Wonder if you are AKA Peter?  Also, your Edwards from East End and Essex, I wonder if we have a tie up there?  I have Edwards originating in Colchester and Kirkby, and also East End and Tottenham
Drake, Blackhall, Roney, Lovell.  Parry, Edwards,  Pardoe, Braun/Brawn/Bryan, all in Bethnal Green, Stepney, Whitechapel, Mile End, Tottenham, Palmers Green and Edmonton area.

http://www.wisbech-town.co.uk

Also a member of the East of London and Fenland  Family History Societies

Offline Andi R

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "Neither by chance nor fate"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 13 September 06 20:13 BST (UK) »
for your info the world "Ubique" is used instead of specific battle honours, because the RA has it's guns as it's colours instead of a flag which would be confusing

The word itself means "Everywhere" because they are at every battle in some form

Just a bit of information

By the way if anyone comes across the 301/100 HAA can you give me a shout it was my dads and I'd love info (especially the 12th battalion or division)

Andrew

Co Durham_and_Roxburgh_Rutherford
Hampshire_Nichols
Durham_Wilkinson
Roxburgh_Burns_Pringle
Northumberland/Durham_Thompson_Rutherford
Cumberland_Nichols_(Holliday_Jackson-Flimby_area)
Whitehaven_Swainson
Whitehaven_Dobbins_Nulty