Author Topic: mary ellen jones ,garston,liverpool  (Read 8052 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: mary ellen jones ,garston,liverpool
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 28 May 06 22:24 BST (UK) »
thanks annie...easily done...my heads swimming all the time with research...i don`t find it as easy as other people do...regards...allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 28 May 06 22:33 BST (UK) »
thanks iria..just been on that site and it says from 1601 to 1901 it was swedish owned and known as westphalia under swedish rule...i was under the impression this region of westphalia was known as helogoland...will check with berlin bob...he`s very good at these topics...regards...allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: helogoland
« Reply #29 on: Monday 29 May 06 07:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan,

You asked (PM) about locations of Helgoland and Wismar, these links may help:

Helgoland

Wismar

both on www.multimap.com

You can zoom in for more detail, or zoom out to get a better perspective of where they are.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 29 May 06 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys,

I've merged these threads, as they are really about the same theme

Helgoland or Heligoland was once part of Germany, then Denmark, then Britain, and then Germany again.
See: Heligoland.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heligoland

I think Wismar was ceded to Sweden as part of the Peace [Treaty] of Westphalia (1648), after the 30 Years War in Germany, it wasn't itself part of Westphalia.
See Iria's link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wismar
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_of_Westphalia

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 19 November 06 11:54 GMT (UK) »
thanks bob.....been concentrating on another family member lately...sorry for delay....do you think the link for grimsby ,the ship ,furtuna could be carl sacht and his father ??...regards...allan

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 16 December 06 14:33 GMT (UK) »
i know i`ll have to confirm my doubts,but it looks to me as iria has the right results for carl freidrich sacht and his father johann carl daniel sacht(schacht)...and it appears berlin bob is right regarding wismar being german.....it was swedish from 1648 until 1903....so it would appear carl and his father were born under swedish rule...not british in heligoland......this may have been a story fabricated to give the family an easier time in liverpool....so..i`m going to find them if possible on a swedish census....does anyone agree thats the way to go??...regards...allan