Author Topic: Stapletons, Tullamaine, Co, Kilkenny  (Read 6087 times)

Offline stapleton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stapletons, Tullamaine, Co, Kilkenny
« on: Monday 29 May 06 21:06 BST (UK) »
STAPLETON, TULLAMAINE, CO, KILKENNY. 
I am researching my gr.grandfather Daniel James Stapleton from Tullamaine Co, Kilkenny. he married 1884-85, Johanna Cahill (daughter of James & Catherine Cahill) Baunta,Co, Kilkenny.  They had 7 children, Daniel John b.1886( my gr. father), James b.1887,Joseph , Mary, Margarite,Catherine,
Daniel James Stapleton was a dairy farmer, had about 400 acres in Tullamaine. I cannot find a birth record for Daniel James Stapleton in Callan around 1863-4. The only records I found are...  James b. 1869,(must have died young) 2nd. James b. 1871,Edmond Stapleton b.3/7/1864, parents were James Stapletonn & Johanna Walsh m. 1863.
The other records were...Patrick b. 1862, John b. 1863, Thomas b. 1860 , parents were...James Stapleton & Judith Walsh m.1859.
 I am confused as to who Daniel James Stapleton's father & mother are! 
Could it be.. James Stapleton & Johanna Walsh, m. 1863.  or....James Staleton & Judith Walsh ,m. 1859 , both from Callan. Can anyone help please?
Ledwidge, Guiden, Stapleton, Cahill, Hutton, lane
People from Kilpedder Co Wicklow

Offline jud72

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Stapletons, Tullamaine, Co, Kilkenny
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 08:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

Firstly, I am almost certain that Judith and Johana are different forms of the same name. I came across the same thing in my own research, and a number of people told me that they are the same. Perhaps a posting on the general bord would make certain of it.

My GGgrandmother was a Stapleton who married a James Brennan from Ballycallan. I think her name was Mary. I gather that her Stapletons lived in a house which was on the road leading from Kilmanagh into Kilkenny. My knowledge of Kilkenny is not the best, but am I right in thinking that Tullamaine is on that road? Does any of this sound familiar? I see from the Griffiths Valuation that there were a number of families living there around 1850. Do you know much about them?

All the best

Offline stapleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Stapletons, Tullamaine, Co, Kilkenny
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 June 06 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hi ,
the confusng thing is that the marriages in Callan occured on differant dates, I have listed all the children from both marriages from familysearch.org . James Stapleton & Johanna Walsh m. 1863 had 8 children, Edmond b.1864, Bridget b. 1866, Michael b. 1867, Philip b. 1877,(twins)James & Mary b.1869,(James must have died young),James b. 1871, Richard b. 1873. James Stapleton & Judith Walsh m. 1859, had 3 children Thomas b. 1860, Patrick b. 1862, John b. 1863. The funny thing is that my grfather had a brother James who's twin died at birth in 1887(birth cert attached). I am leaning towards James & Johanna! and that my greatgrfather was christened Edmond but called Daniel!!If my greatgrandfather married Johanna Cahill in 1885 he would be around 20 yrs old, just a thought. I found a marriage agreement for Johanna Cahill & Daniel James Stapleton my greatgrandparents and listed on it was a Patrick Richard Stapleton, I'd love to know if this was his cousin or brother who was a trustee. What do you think? Anyway the search goes on, thanks so much for your input.
Ledwidge, Guiden, Stapleton, Cahill, Hutton, lane
People from Kilpedder Co Wicklow