Author Topic: Decipher name of chap from Arnold  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Sherwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Decipher name of chap from Arnold
« on: Monday 29 May 06 23:49 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think this says 'Hennery Beward' but if so, I can't find him in any other Censuses, even with variants on the name.  Any ideas?

Sherwood.

The attached image extract is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
CRESSWELL/CRESWELL (Nottingham), MARTIN (Nottingham), ARGENT (Derby), DEXTER (Derby), BAINES (Uppingham), NUTT (Uppingham), LENAGHAN/LENAGAN/LANEHEN, etc (Ireland and Stamford), WINTERS (Nottingham), SLANEY (Nottingham), BULL (Yorkshire), MITCHELL (Yorkshire)

Any Census image extracts and information in transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Decipher name of chap from Arnold
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 00:02 BST (UK) »
The Hennery could appear somewhere else as Henry, Harry, Hy or just as the initial H, or any of these as a second christian name rather than a firstname.  The surname is difficult to see from just the one line you have put in.  I think you are right with the first letter B and the last couple ..ard or ..and.  I'd also try things like Burnand. 

Something else that might give you clues to find him on another census is either to look for the same address, or to see who else is in the same household.  What relationship is he to the head of household?  Is this a small village?  Are there many people of the same occupation?  Is it possible for you to give us an image of the original of the whole household?  If you have a few more clues it does open up possibilities for searching just that little bit more.

Offline Sherwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 00:14 BST (UK) »
Corinne,

I've tried some of the tactics you suggest to no avail yet.
Here is a bigger extract.  He was one of two lodgers with a Hemsley family.
The address was just Daybrook.  All persons including the two lodgers
were born in Arnold.  John, Mary and the two lodgers were all
Framework Knitters (FWK).

Hennery wasn't with the Hemsley family on 1841 or 1861 Censuses.

Sherwood.

The attached image extract is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
CRESSWELL/CRESWELL (Nottingham), MARTIN (Nottingham), ARGENT (Derby), DEXTER (Derby), BAINES (Uppingham), NUTT (Uppingham), LENAGHAN/LENAGAN/LANEHEN, etc (Ireland and Stamford), WINTERS (Nottingham), SLANEY (Nottingham), BULL (Yorkshire), MITCHELL (Yorkshire)

Any Census image extracts and information in transcriptions are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 01:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Sherwood,

This is a hard one!  It certainly looks like BEWARD.  I don't have access to censuses but, if that's what it is, it seems to be a very uncommon name.  In the IGI, British Isles, exact spelling on, there are only 3 entries for BEWARD and one for BEEWARD.  On FreeBMD there are 2 entries for BEWARD and one for BEEWARD.  Just a thought (I don't know what a Nottinghamshire accent is like) but might it be BEARD?

JAP

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Sherwood

I have spent hours on this one and still not cracked it. I looked on the 1841 for Daybrook but to look through all of Arnold would take forever. I work in Arnold so I can't escape it in the day either! I have searched the NFHS CDs for BMDs for Daybrook and Arnold to get a flavour of the names and also various combinations for all of Nottm e.g. ber*,bar*, bew*, etc. I did wonder if the d was in the middle of the word but then decided it is at the end.

Other ideas: Archives have printed indexes of census - look through the Bs
                    Look through Arnold and Daybrook baptisms for 1828 - 1835
                    Look at the non-conformist marriages for 1845-1860s if they have then for these dates.
                                          "        "           birth records (not necessarily baptisms)  1828 - 1835
                    Non-conformist member lists
                    Show the census 1851 to the archives staff as they can decipher really well.

FWKs are notorious for being non-conformist. If you find birth records they can be alot better than CofE.

I assume you can get to the archives, if not get in touch. Also when you find the answer let us know.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 June 06 10:41 BST (UK) »
The "W" could possibly be "U"-look at how the u is written on same page in "dau"

The "d" at the end isn't written in the same way as any other "D" on the page???

Sorry no suggestions as to what the name may be?????
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rob.loasby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 04 June 06 23:44 BST (UK) »
Just a thought on this from another Arnold resident.

IGI shows only a few Henry B__ born in Arnold (found them via http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm)

One possible candidate is Henry Bryan, Bap Arnold, 20 May 1832. He's shown in the 1861 census at Donny Mount (?) lodging with William Cliff as a FWK. I can't see him in the 1851 census.

<edit>No, sorry. Just found him in the 1851 census as Henry Bryon, so not the one you're looking for.
Searching for:

UK:
Loasby (Norfolk & Northants), Alsop (Notts, Yorks), Henton (Notts, Derbys, Leics), Hill (Notts, Derbys), Shail (Ireland)
Poland (Galicia):
Gawel, Chalupa, Swica, Winicki/Winicka

Offline Sherwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 June 06 01:05 BST (UK) »
How about Henry Bernard?  I found this one in Birmingham in 1881, born Nottm, Notts.  I can't find him or any of his family before or after though!

There are also some unusual second names there (Montague and Vernon) and no 'ditto' for surname (ditto had been used higher up on the same page).

Never mind, I'm off hunting other more interesting avenues now.

Sherwood.

Census extract is Crown Copyright from nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 June 06 12:46 BST (UK) »
Looks like Henry Bernard was Bernard Henry Clarke in 1871???

RG10/3531
Spaniel Row 25 Friar Lane Nottingham
Bernard henry Clarke Head M 38 Ulawa(?) beer manufacturer Nottingham
Elizabeth Ann wife 36 Nottingham
Richard Montague 5 Brooklyn Long Island America
Florence Eleanor 2 mth Nottingham
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk